Author Topic: Manning Family is Scum  (Read 7476 times)

Re: Manning Family is Scum
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Keep in mind, this story is 100% based upon a plaintiff's allegations in a lawsuit, as written by her attorney.

The thing we know for sure is that Manning exposed his buttocks to a female interviewer. The rest is just lawyer speak.

There was a witness, another student athlete, who has spoken out about it. Manning told a number of stories that were refuted by his own teammates.

That doesn't change the fact that the lawyer-written "facts" that article are in no way a neutral account of what happened.  If the NYDN tabloid wants to bring up a 20 year old story, perhaps they could interview those eyewitnesses, rather than citing allegations in a lawsuit as fact.

They cited direct quotes from the witnesses.

We're the witnesses cross-examined? Were their statements 100% in context?

Peyton settled with her out of court, but statements were definitely in context.  Read the article.

Malcolm Saxon, the student athlete who was the only witness: "Peyton, you messed up. I still don't know why you dropped your drawers. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe not. But it was definitely inappropriate. Please take some personal responsibility here and own up to what you did. I never understood why you didn't admit to it.  Coming clean is the right thing to do. You have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. Your celebrity doesn't mean that you can treat folks this way."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:58:07 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keep in mind, this story is 100% based upon a plaintiff's allegations in a lawsuit, as written by her attorney.

The thing we know for sure is that Manning exposed his buttocks to a female interviewer. The rest is just lawyer speak.

There was a witness, another student athlete, who has spoken out about it. Manning told a number of stories that were refuted by his own teammates.

That doesn't change the fact that the lawyer-written "facts" that article are in no way a neutral account of what happened.  If the NYDN tabloid wants to bring up a 20 year old story, perhaps they could interview those eyewitnesses, rather than citing allegations in a lawsuit as fact.

They cited direct quotes from the witnesses.

We're the witnesses cross-examined? Were their statements 100% in context?

Peyton settled with her out of court, but statements were definitely in context.  Read the article.

I did. I also know what it's 100% sourced from.

There were other eyewitnesses who saw different things. The "witness" doesn't even describe what he thinks happened in detail, and he had an axe to grind with the football program.  (Ask yourself, how did a private letter between the witness and Manning become public in the first place?  Maybe we'd know with cross-examination). And, this woman alleged years of misconduct by UT before Manning got there.

But, maybe she hired the first Plaintiff's lawyer in the history of the judicial system who doesn't advocate for their client in a statement of "facts".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:32:44 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
As PFT wrote,

King’s article displays a clear anti-Peyton bias, and more than a little melodrama. This #notaslongread item comes from the 74-page document itself, which has been published in full by the Daily News.

Before going any farther, it’s important to understand what the 74-page document is, and what it isn’t. The 74-page document is a piece of advocacy. The 74-page document is something that was written by the lawyers representing Jamie Ann Naughright in her defamation case against the Mannings. The 74-page document is, necessarily, one-sided.

The 74-page document is not objective. The 74-page document is not supposed to be objective. The 74-page document is not a court order or any other decision made by a neutral party. And, ultimately, the 74-page document is incomplete without comparing it to the corresponding “Facts of the Case” document submitted by the defendants in the case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/13/release-of-13-year-old-court-document-dusts-off-peyton-manning-incident-at-tennessee/
This is taking things a little too far. Sometimes things are pretty straight forward. And I'm not seeing much in this story that I feel I would need to get Manning's take on.

Same with deflategate. Pretty obvious that something happened there and Brady knew. Even if the NFL was extremely one sided.

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Clearly a biased article but it, coupled with the media circuit dragging the story back up is something that could sway the court of public opinion in this poiltical climate.

I've been going through The Borgias lately with my girlfriend and a quote from Jeremy Irons character that stuck out to me is...

"Do you know what is more poisonous than failure in war or politics? Ridicule!"

If you start seeing talk show hosts making Peyton Manning teabagging jokes then people start looking more into the story and could start coming to their own conclusions about the very real implication that Manning slandered(not sure if this is the correct legal term)  Naughright and dealt irreparable damage to her career.

My guess is that the story dies again since most of the allegations against Manning are heresay and therefor tough to prove either way, but this is a significant blow to his reputation. Manning may not burn for this but he might not be the All American choir boy once all is said and done either.

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 10:27:30 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
As PFT wrote,

King’s article displays a clear anti-Peyton bias, and more than a little melodrama. This #notaslongread item comes from the 74-page document itself, which has been published in full by the Daily News.

Before going any farther, it’s important to understand what the 74-page document is, and what it isn’t. The 74-page document is a piece of advocacy. The 74-page document is something that was written by the lawyers representing Jamie Ann Naughright in her defamation case against the Mannings. The 74-page document is, necessarily, one-sided.

The 74-page document is not objective. The 74-page document is not supposed to be objective. The 74-page document is not a court order or any other decision made by a neutral party. And, ultimately, the 74-page document is incomplete without comparing it to the corresponding “Facts of the Case” document submitted by the defendants in the case.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/13/release-of-13-year-old-court-document-dusts-off-peyton-manning-incident-at-tennessee/
This is taking things a little too far. Sometimes things are pretty straight forward. And I'm not seeing much in this story that I feel I would need to get Manning's take on.

Same with deflategate. Pretty obvious that something happened there and Brady knew. Even if the NFL was extremely one sided.

Wait. What? Why are you bringing in the NFLs deflategate debacle? You do realize that a large number of academics have looked at the data and said it was all due to the ideal gas law, right? And that NO scientists have looked at the data and suggested otherwise, right?

This is  not a case of well some see it this way and... But others see it this way and..... This is a case of : every scientist sees it this way. And the NFL see it that way.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
As PFT wrote,

I'm half expecting Ted Wells and Experion co authored the report!!
Celtics fan for life.