Author Topic: Kris Dunn - looking legit  (Read 4000 times)

Kris Dunn - looking legit
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm starting to come around to the idea that Kris Dunn could be a great pick.

Watching him play right now and I'm really impressed with his handle, body control, poise, athletic ability. Not ready to say he can be like Wade but he has a lot of similar strengths and the possibility is there.

Third pick for me is now a toss up between Bender and Dunn.

Re: Kris Dunn - looking legit
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Isn't Dunn a pg? Not thinking that's a need. My choices are brown or bender at three.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isn't Dunn a pg? Not thinking that's a need. My choices are brown or bender at three.
Looks to me like he can also play SG

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Kris Dunn like a bigger Kyle Lowry?

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I felt he struggled today. He is usually better.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Looks like a true pg to me who can defend shooting guards which would work well with our short guards.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Looks like a true pg to me who can defend shooting guards which would work well with our short guards.
His handle is much better than Smart's or AB's. Obviously no surprise with AB. He's never had a good handle.

Also a better finisher in the paint and around the rim then those guys.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
His handle is much better than Smart's or AB's. Obviously no surprise with AB. He's never had a good handle.

That's why it could work well as those guys can play SG on offense while defending PGs.  We would have a logjam though.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
He is pretty good but he is now over rated. People just like him because he is a senior. He fits their agenda. Look, I like him, he is pretty good and it's not his fault. This is just what happens.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He seems most similar to Wall to me. He's definitely not as good as Wall, but their games are similar.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
If Dunn is best player available we'd have to considered it but it would definitely make for an awkward log jam in our backcourt. I do think Dunn has a higher offensive ceiling than anyone that we currently have on our team.

He's a senior but IMO he was good enough to come out last year and drafting an older, NBA ready player might be a better idea than someone like Brown who should have growing pains or someone like Bender who might still be years out.

If we end up moving Bradley or Smart  in a deal for a big man or wing at the deadline or during the offseason Dunn would make a lot of sense to fill the void, especially if Rozier doesn't pan out.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

That's why it could work well as those guys can play SG on offense while defending PGs.  We would have a logjam though.
Agreed.

One thing to consider tho. Smart could also play some 3 when he's not in as the PG or SG. Take the left over mintes from Crowder. Heck he even could play some 4. So I'm not too worried about the backcourt.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:31 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
No. More. Guards.

We have guards that are supposed to be "lights out" one day (Hunter, Young).
We have guards that are great PG/SG defenders (Smart, Bradley).
We have a guard that fills the box score on a winning team night in and out (IT).
We have a guard that hasn't played one meaningful minute of NBA basketball (Rozier).

We need another? There's absolutely no way we draft or trade for a guard without seriously clearing the deck first. If the Cs draft another guard then other teams will know that we need to lose 1-2 guards before moving forward, which makes it incredibly harder to exchange players with other teams.

Respect to going the BPA route during the draft, but we've already done that two years ago. You can argue Danny did that again last year with wagering Rozier's potential against other mid-first round prospects.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
if the c's were to draft him, that'd make smart expendable no? smart is good on D, but dunn has the tools to be a problem as well. 6-4 with a 6-8 wing span, averaging close to 4 steals per game.

nets fans seem to be open to the idea of getting smart in a lopez deal. they are in desperate need of a point guard. d. lee, smart, 2016 boston pick, 2018 nets pick for lopez would work. that is...if the c's were to draft dunn.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
a team should never draft based on need or else they continually draft lesser talent. over the long haul, this will hurt the team. if dunn is the bpa then ainge should, and will, take him. rosters shift all the time due to trades, players leaving, injury, whatever.

as for the guard situation, bradley could always be traded making a trio of IT, smart, and dunn. that would be nice. also, it will take dunn probably a year to get adjusted to the nba, so there is time for ainge to shuffle the roster.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva