Author Topic: If you were Sam Hinkie and could change draft picks  (Read 1846 times)

If you were Sam Hinkie and could change draft picks
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Knowing what we know today, who are you(Sam Hinkie) drafting in the 2014 and 2015 drafts?

Also, give a second choice. With the second choice, remove the player you believe is the best available and choose the next best. You are allowed to reselect the player the Sixers actually chose.

Lets see how much different the sixers roster could had been.

Guys available in the 2014 draft with the Sixers selection-

Aaron Gordon
Dante Exum
Marcus Smart
Zach Lavine
Julius Randle
Elfrid Payton
Jusuf Nurkic

Guys available in the 2015 draft with the Sixers selection-

Krystaps Porzingis
Emmanuel Mudiay
Stanley Johnson
Justice Winslow
Miles Turner
Mario Hezonja
Devin Booker

My selections -

My first choices are Smart and Porzingis.

PG - Smart
SG - Stauskas
SF - Robert Covington
PF - Saric
C  - Porzingis

Noel gets traded.

Second choices are Gordon and Mudiay.

PG - Mudiay
SG - Stauskas
SF - Gordon
PF - Saric
C -  Noel

Current situation

PG - Ish Smith
SG - Stauskas
SF - Covington
PF - Saric or Noel
C  - Okafor or Embiid or Noel

I'm taking my first and second choices over the current mess they have now with their front court.

Re: If you were Sam Hinkie and could change draft picks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I did this before when saying his strategy was good to tank but he could have got luckier with the picks. I had the team of Smart, Lavine, GA, Porzingis and Noel as his first round picks over a span. Hindsight is 20/20. Tanking wasn't a bad idea just hitting picks is hard.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I did this before when saying his strategy was good to tank but he could have got luckier with the picks. I had the team of Smart, Lavine, GA, Porzingis and Noel as his first round picks over a span. Hindsight is 20/20. Tanking wasn't a bad idea just hitting picks is hard.
Very true. There is some luck involved. But taking 4 front court players was not the best idea either. Imagine if the sixers get the third pick for the 2016 draft and select Bender. Would it surprise anyone?

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would have taken Mudiay this season over J.Okafor. In hindsight, Porzingis was the right call.

I am not sure who I would have taken the year before. I was leaning against Embiid because of all the injuries. Getting more and more scared about his future the closer the draft came. I didn't consider Aaron Gordon good enough to go that high. I was unsure between Smart and Exum. Exum had more raw talent I felt but was playing in a nobody league and I had some questions about his aggressiveness I thought from that Fiba tourney he was in. Smart was a much safer bet. Still, I probably would have rolled the dice on Exum. In hindsight, hmm, close call, I'll go with Aaron Gordon.

So a

SF: Aaron Gordon
PF: Kris Porzingis
 C: Nerlens Noel

Sign some guards in free agency to round out.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Very true. There is some luck involved. But taking 4 front court players was not the best idea either. Imagine if the sixers get the third pick for the 2016 draft and select Bender. Would it surprise anyone?
Embid, Saric and then Noel can't play PF blunders hurt them. I believe the goal was take BPA and then trade them as the right call. Yet they asked for the moon and play Noel out of position hurting his value. They can still rebound. Porzingis and LaVine are the true misses plenty of draft experts said those were big potential players that fit better at the time and sixes draft wrong. Embid you can live with and GA was a tough call for every team. Think consultant should help Hinks over exaggerated trade desires.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Id have drafted Smart/Payton and Prozingis then find takers for Noel

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Id have drafted Smart/Payton and Prozingis then find takers for Noel

But then they might win games which is the exact opposite of what Sixers basketball is all about.  They are the best at losing and proud of it. 

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Winning is an issue. If they drafted perfectly they might have won more and thus not picked as high each draft.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I would have taken Mudiay this season over J.Okafor. In hindsight, Porzingis was the right call.

I am not sure who I would have taken the year before. I was leaning against Embiid because of all the injuries. Getting more and more scared about his future the closer the draft came. I didn't consider Aaron Gordon good enough to go that high. I was unsure between Smart and Exum. Exum had more raw talent I felt but was playing in a nobody league and I had some questions about his aggressiveness I thought from that Fiba tourney he was in. Smart was a much safer bet. Still, I probably would have rolled the dice on Exum. In hindsight, hmm, close call, I'll go with Aaron Gordon.

So a

SF: Aaron Gordon
PF: Kris Porzingis
 C: Nerlens Noel

Sign some guards in free agency to round out.
And those guys are probably still not going to get you out of the bottom 3 of the league so you still have a potential top 3 pick in the 2016 draft.

If the Sixers had Gordon and Porzingis, Hinkie would be getting a ton of praise.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Honestly, it's pretty much anyone other than who they really took lol

In 2014, you could really justify taking Gordon, Exum, Smart, or Randle at the #3 spot and be better off, though I don't like the fit of Randle with Noel since neither can really spread the floor at all.

In 2015, obviously Porzingis would've been a hell of a fit next to Noel at the 4, though I think long-term he's still a 5 rather than a 4. Any of those other guys would've been better fits, too, though some of them would've been a stretch at the third overall pick.

If it was me, I'd take Smart in 2014 and Porzingis in 2015. Gordon would be a close second in 2014, but we've seen how bad they can be with a gluttony of frontline players but no real backcourt. Going into the 2016 season with Noel, Smart, and Porzingis, I don't think they'd be nearly as bad as they were this year.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 03:01:23 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Saric doesn't want to play there. Most of the picks Philly made were good at the time. But the main mistake Philly is made is treating their players disrespectfully. You can't do that in 2016.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Winning is an issue. If they drafted perfectly they might have won more and thus not picked as high each draft.
Look at the Wolves. They drafted perfectly and they are bottom 5. Takes 2-3 years for these guys to mature and figure out how to win.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

In 2014, you could really justify taking Gordon, Exum, Smart, or Randle at the #3 spot and be better off, though I don't like the fit of Randle with Noel since neither can really spread the floor at all.

In 2015, obviously Porzingis would've been a hell of a fit next to Noel at the 4, though I think long-term he's still a 5 rather than a 4. Any of those other guys would've been better fits, too, though some of them would've been a stretch at the third overall pick.

If it was me, I'd take Smart in 2014 and Porzingis in 2015. Gordon would be a close second in 2014, but we've seen how bad they can be with a gluttony of frontline players but no real backcourt. Going into the 2016 season with Noel, Smart, and Porzingis, I don't think they'd be nearly as bad as they were this year.
Porzingis, Noel and Smart would had been a tough defensive trio. And then you can bring Saric in with Porzingis to spread out the offense.

Crazy how badly the sixers messed that up.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Porzingis, Noel and Smart would had been a tough defensive trio. And then you can bring Saric in with Porzingis to spread out the offense.

Crazy how badly the sixers messed that up.

Anybody who thinks taking a black hole offensively at guard over Embiid's potential is insane... As good as Smart is at defense, he doesn't finish at the rim and he can't shoot 3s. If you can't do those things as a guard you're a fringe starter, and good teams can pretty much play you right off the court in the playoffs(see: Tony Allen).

Their lone "bad" pick was taking Okafor over Porzingis. And I don't think anybody, including NY, saw KP breaking out like he has.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Saric doesn't want to play there.

And this is based on what exactly?