Author Topic: Toxic players  (Read 7109 times)

Toxic players
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
We hear a lot of rumors these days about the players we possibly acquiring so I decided to put on a topic about my list of players who I think are toxic (meaning: care only about themselves and their "brand", not high quality personalities, no true leaders, divas and etc., hope you get my poin) to their teams. The players I would not want any part of this great team and franchise. This is my take, hope there is not another one like this so that I'm not duplicate anyone. Here is my list of players, so join in if you please (in no particural order).

- LBJ
- Melo
- CP3
- Wade
- JR Smith
- Harden
- Whiteside
- Blake Griffin
- Markief Morris
- Lance
- DMC
- Westbrook
- Gay

These are the players I would not want us to trade for. If it somehow happens, it happens. I would not be happy about it, just would hate them less :-)
Maybe for some of them is just my perception. Maybe they could change and become better players, maybe it's just their surroundings that makes them act silly, I don't know, it's just how I see it... that's my two cents before the storm...
thx
Nik

Re: Toxic players
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think Lebron, Wade, Cousins, Westbrook or Paul belong on that list.

I might add Love, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
You don't want Westbrook?

Look at IT4 in Steven's system. Westbrook would be like a steroid version of IT4 in Steven's system. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:33:27 AM by KeepRondo »

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:55 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
Interesting list.  LeBron and Wade both led their teams championships, so I don't see how they can be considered toxic players.  To me, toxic players are those who cannot control their emotions and buy into the team concept, and/or players who cannot or do not play defense.

That is why I would not want Melo or Love on the Celtics; they don't play very good defense!  I also wouldn't want a headcase like Cousins or Lance Stevenson.

From your list, I would, however, LOVE to have Westbrook on the Celtics.  He's strong, athletic, talented, and has very few weaknesses, if any.  It would take a lot of convincing for me to believe that he is "toxic."

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:48:34 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I don't think Lebron, Wade, Cousins, Westbrook or Paul belong on that list.

I might add Love, though.

my list of players who I think are toxic (meaning: care only about themselves and their "brand", not high quality personalities, no true leaders, divas and etc.).

They all fit 3 out of his 4 criteria.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Actually, I'm not sure whether Westbrook has a high quality personality or not, I don't know enough about him.

Though, given how he dresses and the few interviews I've seen, he kinda seems like a punk (when we beat OKC he basically dissed Smart for no reason).
Philly:

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
You forgot one with the capital R

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Rkobe????;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Actually, I'm not sure whether Westbrook has a high quality personality or not, I don't know enough about him.

Though, given how he dresses and the few interviews I've seen, he kinda seems like a punk (when we beat OKC he basically dissed Smart for no reason).
When is he ever a punk on the court?

This is a guy who gives 100 percent effort every game.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Before the Garnett trade if you made this list then, I'm sure Pierce would be on it.

While half of your list I'd agree on, the other half I think if the player was in the right situation with the right guys they would excel. Right now the Cs got some really good chemistry and if they just add a couple pieces, keep the defense glue guys (Smart/Crowder top of my list) they could challenge Cleveland and maybe a shot a the West.

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
IT could have been on that list a few years ago. Kings let him go for nothing. And people said he took too many bad shots not in the system.

I think toxic players are over blown. Im not talking about some of the crazies. Im talking about the players that play a certain way with edgy demeanor. It's all about how a team responds to the player. When Blake is dishing and finishing teammates love him. When Blake ask for the ball and tells people to clear he is show boating only if he misses. If Cousins gets hacked and gets upset it isn't called after three previous bad calls he is a malcontent or is he trying to work over the refs? It's silly to think these type of players are toxic. We can absolutely say in some way coaches can be toxic like George Karl, MarkJackson, Fisher, Kidd and even some GMs and owners are toxic. Players play their game if coaches use that and position them in the right time/place the players do fine. If a coach, gm or owner hinders or miss uses players and/or try to make others succeed when they can't (see Doc with son) then things can go bad and become toxic.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Who said anything about on the court?  Punk on the court is very different than punk off the court.

And what the heck does effort have to do with being a punk?

We were talking about personality and you're talking about how much effort one gives on the court?  What?

And anyway, with all that said, when is he not a punk on the court?  He's known for taunting, constantly loses his cool, constantly flops and plays antics, and is constantly one of the leaders in technical fouls every year.

Then there's how he pouted when he was benched in the 4th during the playoffs.

And seeing as how we were talking about personality, I didn't give those things any weight (I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because I haven't seen much of his personality).
Philly:

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Rkobe????;D
nice one :D tp for the laugh, but it is Rondo  ;D

You don't want Westbrook?

Look at IT4 in Steven's system. Westbrook would be like a steroid version of IT4 in Steven's system. 
brilliantly said, tp

to answer OP
my list:
Howard
DMC
Kobe
Melo, half of the knicks 2011-2012 roster for that matter

but Howard takes the most toxic guy by a landslide, 2nd place DMC, those to are in their own league
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like Russell Westbrook & Blake Griffin. They are not on my toxic list.

I don't think Dwight is a toxic player. Melo either. I think both players need a strong structure around them though. Veteran know-how. Leadership. Strong coaches. They are guys who need the right environment around them.

Harden is a 50-50 guy. He can go either way with the rest of his career. It is up to him. He can continue to play no defense and be selfish or he can put in effort and learn how to play alongside others. Definitely needs a strong coach. McHale was far too weak. Never held Harden accountable for his lack of defensive effort.

Markieff Morris I am not sure about. Some red flags there for sure. Not ready to write him off yet. In the past, he has worked hard on the court on both ends and tried to fit within the team's system. He is a difficult personality for sure but he can be a good teammate. Like I said, not ready to write him off just yet.

I'd put LeBron and CP3 together in the same boat. The world needs to revolve around them. They cannot adapt to people around them and struggle to trust their teammates to make plays without their help. Not really toxic in my opinion. But they are not easy people to deal with either.

Lance Stephenson I think is more a low IQ guy than a problem guy basketball-wise.

JR Smith is a toxic player. Makes use of only about 40% of his talent.

Whiteside might be too.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Who said anything about on the court?  Punk on the court is very different than punk off the court.

And what the heck does effort have to do with being a punk?

We were talking about personality and you're talking about how much effort one gives on the court?  What?

And anyway, with all that said, when is he not a punk on the court?  He's known for taunting, constantly loses his cool, constantly flops and plays antics, and is constantly one of the leaders in technical fouls every year.

Then there's how he pouted when he was benched in the 4th during the playoffs.

And seeing as how we were talking about personality, I didn't give those things any weight (I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because I haven't seen much of his personality).
I don't see what his clothes have anything to do with his potential fit on our team.

And him having flare ups is because he cares about winning so much. Big difference from moody punks in this league.

Westbrook is far from a punk on the court.

Anything else you want to add?