Author Topic: Just came from NetsDaily. Apparently...  (Read 15433 times)

Re: Just came from NetsDaily. Apparently...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I believe Danny Ainge would not move Smart for anyone.

Yes, unless it was a top 5 player.  Those players are usually untouchable anyway though.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Yes, unless it was a top 5 player.  Those players are usually untouchable anyway though.
Ainge would trade Smart for a lot of those guys playing yesterday alone.

Guys with more value -

Porzingis
Towns
Wiggins
Parker
Mudiay

Guys who are near him and similar value -

Stanley Johnson
Okafor
Russell

Lesser players who might become stars and better than Smart but have much less value -

Lavine
Winslow

Edit. Would only trade smart with guys in the first group.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:44:50 AM by KeepRondo »

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Guys with more value -

Porzingis
Towns
Wiggins
Parker
Mudiay

Stanley Johnson
Okafor
Russell

Lesser players who might become stars and better than Smart but have much less value -

Lavine
Winslow

Of this list I would only trade him for towns.
Smart is a freeking warrior.
Twice this week he made the play that allowed us to win games against contenders.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Guys with more value -

Porzingis
Towns
Wiggins
Parker
Mudiay

Stanley Johnson
Okafor
Russell

Lavine
Winslow

Of this list I would only trade him for towns.
Smart is a freeking warrior.
Twice this week he made the play that allowed us to win games against contenders.
I think Smart could end up in that first group of players but everyone in that group is almost a sure thing to be a future all star. 

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
NFW.

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
This gets to an important element of Ainge and the rebuild.

How do you "value a defensive player" today? Has the boffo scoring of today's NBA shifted player valuations?

If you look at the C's record without Smart this season (don't forget 6 or 7 games were needed for him to get back to being himself) I think, in a full season, he's a "ten win player."

Would Ainge trade Smart for offense? Has the "Curry era" diminished Smart's value?

IMO, Ainge will still "lean in favor of defense." His last title team had the defense. Ainge spent his assets to get it and,  he 'skipped" getting an offensive center by sticking with Perk.

My guess is Ainge sees difficulty in replacing Smart's defense.

I wish we could sit in on this week's rumor discussion with Stevens and Ainge. Would love to know if Brad likes Kevin Love or Lopez or Melo or pix or.....

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If you could promise me that Lopez's foot wouldn't crumble into dust, I'd consider it.

Played every game so far, it seems like the foot problems are already fixed.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you could promise me that Lopez's foot wouldn't crumble into dust, I'd consider it.

I don't know if foot problems are ever totally "fixed".  Certainly with big men who play the sport of basketball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
At least we still get their pick, which should presumably get better without Lopez there.

But, yeah, I think I would rather go for Love...or anyone else more likely to stay healthy.

These two lines in the same sentence made me laugh.  ;D

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
never happening. Smart isn't being traded unless a top 10 player is coming back. I doubt Ainge would trade Smart even for Love.

Smart is the future of this franchise- he's the locker room leader, the defensive leader, and he's the guy that's going to bring his fellow classmates to Boston as free agents because he's a leader with energy.

I would bet my house and car that this never happens- especially for an injury prone mediocre big man like Lopez.

I think you are very, very wrong here. 

I think Danny would trade Smart for just about any legitimate star, or any player young player with major star potential.

I think it's kind of a no brainer.

Smart's got a lot of positive attributes - his personality and his defence being the main ones.  You love having a guy like him on your team, no question about it.

But given a choice between Smart versus a transcendent player who can potentially make you a contender overnight - it is a no brainer...you make the deal.

I think Smart has the potential to be a significant contributor to this team for years on end, so I don't think there is any chance Danny would trade him for a guy who is a short term boost (i.e. a 33 year old on the decline, or a rental). 

However, if he had the opportunity to lock in a star player who is on a long term contract and who is young enough to impact the franchise for the next 3-4 years (e.g. Love, Lopez, Cousins) I think he'd have to think long and hard about making that move. 

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

How do you "value a defensive player" today? Has the boffo scoring of today's NBA shifted player valuations?

If you look at the C's record without Smart this season (don't forget 6 or 7 games were needed for him to get back to being himself) I think, in a full season, he's a "ten win player."

Would Ainge trade Smart for offense? Has the "Curry era" diminished Smart's value?

IMO, Ainge will still "lean in favor of defense." His last title team had the defense. Ainge spent his assets to get it and,  he 'skipped" getting an offensive center by sticking with Perk.

I wish we could sit in on this week's rumor discussion with Stevens and Ainge. Would love to know if Brad likes Kevin Love or Lopez or Melo or pix or.....

While I agree with most of this, I don't agree with the bold part above.

We have a starting lineup that features Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and Amir Johnson.  I don't think replacing Smart's defence is a big a concern as you might think. 

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thanks for the laugh OP!  :laugh: its all good though, we're plenty deluded on here at times. Smart + picks.... Haha!
I fell for it too.  What a riot.  We should have noticed no link.  ;D

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

We have a starting lineup that features Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and Amir Johnson.  I don't think replacing Smart's defence is a big a concern as you might think.

This past week has seen me jump headfirst onto the Smart bandwagon.
If Ainge has any doubt about the kids value he need only review the game tape from Cleveland and the Clippers.
Smart is Leatherhead-warrior-ninja-werewolf and he will eat anyone who gets in his way. No way singe swaps him for anyone other than a bonafide superstar (a young one at that)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:27:23 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This past week has seen me jump headfirst onto the Smart bandwagon.
If Ainge has any doubt about the kids value he need only review the game tape from Cleveland and the Clippers.
Smart is Leatherhead-warrior-ninja-werewolf and he will eat anyone who gets in his way. No way singe swaps him for anyone other than a bonafide superstar (a young one at that)
arctic has it right. You don't just take a tough-nosed defender like Smart away and expect there not to be a hole.   I think this is a big issue.

Smart, Crowder, Thomas: Trade anyone else.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151

I don't know if foot problems are ever totally "fixed".  Certainly with big men who play the sport of basketball.
The idea of signing Lopez for $20 millions reminds me of when the Wizards payed Gilbert Arenas $112 million when it was well known his knees were totally fried.