Author Topic: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)  (Read 37164 times)

Re: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Only real problem I can see here is that Melo's trade kicker doesn't come into effect until midway through next season, so if he agrees to a trade now, he's giving up $9 million.

Doesn't seem like the kinda guy to let money like that go for the love of the game....
Wow. Thanks for saving me from reading another 6 pages of this.

That is definitely a deal breaker.

TP

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It makes sense for Boston to get Love but it makes zero sense for them to facilitate Cleveland getting Melo.  This is not happening.

That's the part I don't like at all. We would not only drastically improve Cleveland's chances of winning it all this year, and for the next 2 years, we would also help NY, a team in our division, with their rebuild by giving them some of our best assets presumably. I guess it depends on what assets we move in this deal. If we don't move any Brooklyn picks or Smart or Bradley or Crowder, or IT, then I'm ok with it.

Melo will be 32.5 years old at the start of next season. Love will have just turned 28.
Melo is on the decline and probably has 2-3 good years left.

We need to get top 20 players here and not worry about the Cavs. Right now we don't stand a chance to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series. If we had Love (plus say, Dwight Howard), then we would stand a chance vs Lebron and Melo. We'd also have a better chance of getting Durant here.

All that has to make sense is that we are getting significantly better with this move, and the Cavs *might* get a slight upgrade.

I'm not so sure the Cavs would be that much better off with another ball dominant player about to turn 32 years old....

I can't stress enough how good Kevin Love will be with Brad Stevens running offense for him and our defensive pitbulls surrounding him. Mother of God if we could get Dwight Howard next to him protecting the rim...wow.

Kevin Love is younger but is not a "spring chicken."  He has been in the league for 8 years.  He turns 28 this year.  He has an injury history.  He is not a good defender.

Like I said, he makes sense on Boston but giving Lebron even 2 years of a decent Melo is a stupid idea for the Celtics.  It is not happening.

I just think that's focusing on the Cavs too much. Melo isn't an enormous upgrade for them and he's declining significantly. He won't get the ball in his hands as much with Lebron and Kyrie there- just like Love has had to go through- and because of that he won't be that effective.

Love is not a bad defender. Look at the numbers. It's completely overblown.
Love at 28 years old has a good 4-5 years left in him. His injury history is concerning but it's not significant enough to warrant blocking a trade like this.

Just picture Love in this offense instead of Kelly Olynyk or Sully. He's also a significant upgrade to our free agent appeal. I would bet my house that Brad will try to replicate the Wolves 2013 offense and get tonnes of shots up- but with this defensive core he can surround a 25 point, 12 rebound Kevin Love with a cast of All NBA defensive level players- our spacing and ball movement would be absolutely perfect for Love.

But yeah, I think we need to ignore the Cavs. They'd be getting a 32 year old Carmelo. Not 28 year old Carmelo or 28 year old Chris Bosh etc...

Getting Love here gives us a much better shot at beating them- or anyone for that matter- than not trading for him. Get the talent here and Danny and Brad will work it out from there.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Idk about this whole 3 way deal. I say you wait till off season if either team demands the 2016 Nets pick. Cavs after losing again in finals and Knicks after missing playoffs getting a mid lotto pick will both be more inclined to deal. And you will know where you are picking with Nets pick. If you get Simmons you probably don't want to trade for Love.

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Trade the Brooklyn #1 this yr?  For K Love?  Absolutely.  Trade Sully, David Lee and the Brooklyn pick...yes yes yes yes yes.

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ainge doesn't care, though he probably doesn't think Melo's a great fit in CLE (because he's not).

He sees a window opening for the Cs in the next 2-3 seasons, while Clevelands will be beginning to shut.

He's also smart enough to know that the Cavs, even with Melo, are not beating GSW or SAS -- and are capped out.

But if we are building around Love and IT, how is our window any different?  IT and Love (two all stars) do not put us in the top tier or do you think they do?  I don't think Carmelo and IT do either.  Love and LeBron or Carmelo and LeBron is a very different animal and they can throw in Kyrie too who probably is equal and may well be better than IT.

As far as CLE, I think everyone is a little quick to assume they can't beat SAS or GSW, especially if they have Carmelo.  Sure, GSW were way better than a CLE team with no Kyrie and no Love but CLE will likely be a very different team this year.
I think when you surround them with guys like Crowder and Smart it does.

Exactly. This wouldn't be the final team too. Plus you have Stevens as a coach who has one All Star  and a bunch of borderline Starters and Very good bench players and has they playing in beast mode for the better part of the season. Doc even said if you come to Boston, you have to bring your best game or they will beat you and beat.

Say we get Love on the cheap. And they take Cleveland 5 to 6 games in the ECF. That may turn the head of a guys like Durant,Barnes,Batum,Drummond,Horford,Pua, etc. Or they make a move on an other guy, pay him like they did Amir, and build his stock up for a trade next season.

Add some other players, they may not be your top choice of guys, but work in the system. I mean if you can get a Barnes or Batum which would be a offensive upgrade over Crowder, and upgrade at the 2 spot, but keep AB. You could have AB,Smart,Crowder heading your second unit butting pressure on the posing teams first unit to do all the scoring.

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Idk about this whole 3 way deal. I say you wait till off season if either team demands the 2016 Nets pick. Cavs after losing again in finals and Knicks after missing playoffs getting a mid lotto pick will both be more inclined to deal. And you will know where you are picking with Nets pick. If you get Simmons you probably don't want to trade for Love.

I dunno man, think about it this way...
Lebron will want this trade done now. He only has so many NBA finals appearances left. Melo is about to turn 32 years old. Just getting this playoff run with Melo in there would be a good post season result for them. Even if they lose to the Warriors/Spurs, their excuse will be 'Kevin Loves was bad and Melo didn't have enough time to adjust so next year we'll be fine'.

The Knicks don't have a pick this year because they traded it away (Toronto have it). They will want something for Melo while he's worth something, and as he hits age 32, that value decreases significantly- so getting a potential top 5 pick now for him and pairing that pick with Porzingis is pretty much the best result they could ask for.

Given Lebron's power in Cleveland, if he wants this to happen now, there's a good chance the front office may just have to do it.

As I said earlier, my biggest concern here is that Melo won't agree to be traded until after his $9 million bonus trade kicker is activated, which isn't for another 9 months.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Ainge doesn't care, though he probably doesn't think Melo's a great fit in CLE (because he's not).

He sees a window opening for the Cs in the next 2-3 seasons, while Clevelands will be beginning to shut.

He's also smart enough to know that the Cavs, even with Melo, are not beating GSW or SAS -- and are capped out.

But if we are building around Love and IT, how is our window any different?  IT and Love (two all stars) do not put us in the top tier or do you think they do?  I don't think Carmelo and IT do either.  Love and LeBron or Carmelo and LeBron is a very different animal and they can throw in Kyrie too who probably is equal and may well be better than IT.

As far as CLE, I think everyone is a little quick to assume they can't beat SAS or GSW, especially if they have Carmelo.  Sure, GSW were way better than a CLE team with no Kyrie and no Love but CLE will likely be a very different team this year.

Exactly. This wouldn't be the final team too. Plus you have Stevens as a coach who has one All Star  and a bunch of borderline Starters and Very good bench players and has they playing in beast mode for the better part of the season. Doc even said if you come to Boston, you have to bring your best game or they will beat you and beat.

Say we get Love on the cheap. And they take Cleveland 5 to 6 games in the ECF. That may turn the head of a guys like Durant,Barnes,Batum,Drummond,Horford,Pua, etc. Or they make a move on an other guy, pay him like they did Amir, and build his stock up for a trade next season.

Add some other players, they may not be your top choice of guys, but work in the system. I mean if you can get a Barnes or Batum which would be a offensive upgrade over Crowder, and upgrade at the 2 spot, but keep AB. You could have AB,Smart,Crowder heading your second unit butting pressure on the posing teams first unit to do all the scoring.

Really, IT and Love surrounded by Crowder and Smart is a title contender but Love and Kyrie surrounded by LeBron James isn't?  To me, this does not add up.  IT and Love put us in the Toronto tier, not the CLE, GSW tier.

Of course if we have IT and Love and then get Durant, OK but I think Love is a much smaller variable in that equation than Durant.

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Only real problem I can see here is that Melo's trade kicker doesn't come into effect until midway through next season, so if he agrees to a trade now, he's giving up $9 million.

Doesn't seem like the kinda guy to let money like that go for the love of the game....
Lebron will get him some easy commercials to make up the difference. Cleveland has to do something this year. If KD goes to the Warriors. It is over for 3+ years
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Wow. Thanks for saving me from reading another 6 pages of this.

That is definitely a deal breaker.

TP

I wouldn't count on that, man. Melo and LeBron are really tight friends, they've been wanting to play together for years.

GM LeBron is getting desperate. He got rid of Blatt and this team still is pretty clearly a step below GSW or SA. He knows if he doesn't win this year, it only gets harder next year as he gets older. They're totally capped out and devoid of draft assets, so they're kind of limited in what they can do. He's never really liked Kevin Love anyway, and only made the trade for him because he didn't want to gamble on Wiggins being good enough, fast enough. If he sees a chance to ship him off for Melo, he'll be pushing it to happen. He can just give Melo some of that Beats by Dre money. I'd say LaLa's a bigger issue than that.

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Really, IT and Love surrounded by Crowder and Smart is a title contender but Love and Kyrie surrounded by LeBron James isn't?  To me, this does not add up.  IT and Love put us in the Toronto tier, not the CLE, GSW tier.

Of course if we have IT and Love and then get Durant, OK but I think Love is a much smaller variable in that equation than Durant.
Better system and coach. Deeper team.

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It makes sense for Boston to get Love but it makes zero sense for them to facilitate Cleveland getting Melo.  This is not happening.

That's the part I don't like at all. We would not only drastically improve Cleveland's chances of winning it all this year, and for the next 2 years, we would also help NY, a team in our division, with their rebuild by giving them some of our best assets presumably. I guess it depends on what assets we move in this deal. If we don't move any Brooklyn picks or Smart or Bradley or Crowder, or IT, then I'm ok with it.

Melo will be 32.5 years old at the start of next season. Love will have just turned 28.

We need to get top 20 players here and not worry about the Cavs. Right now we don't stand a chance to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series. If we had Love (plus say, Dwight Howard), then we would stand a chance vs Lebron and Melo. We'd also have a better chance of getting Durant here.

All that has to make sense is that we are getting significantly better with this move, and the Cavs *might* get a slight upgrade.

I'm not so sure the Cavs would be that much better off with another ball dominant player about to turn 32 years old....

I can't stress enough how good Kevin Love will be with Brad Stevens running offense for him and our defensive pitbulls surrounding him. Mother of God if we could get Dwight Howard next to him protecting the rim...wow.

Kevin Love is younger but is not a "spring chicken."  He has been in the league for 8 years.  He turns 28 this year.  He has an injury history.  He is not a good defender.

Like I said, he makes sense on Boston but giving Lebron even 2 years of a decent Melo is a stupid idea for the Celtics.  It is not happening.

I just think that's focusing on the Cavs too much. Melo isn't an enormous upgrade for them and he's declining significantly. He won't get the ball in his hands as much with Lebron and Kyrie there- just like Love has had to go through- and because of that he won't be that effective.

Love at 28 years old has a good 4-5 years left in him. His injury history is concerning but it's not significant enough to warrant blocking a trade like this.

Just picture Love in this offense instead of Kelly Olynyk or Sully. He's also a significant upgrade to our free agent appeal. I would bet my house that Brad will try to replicate the Wolves 2013 offense and get tonnes of shots up- but with this defensive core he can surround a 25 point, 12 rebound Kevin Love with a cast of All NBA defensive level players- our spacing and ball movement would be absolutely perfect for Love.

But yeah, I think we need to ignore the Cavs. They'd be getting a 32 year old Carmelo. Not 28 year old Carmelo or 28 year old Chris Bosh etc...

Getting Love here gives us a much better shot at beating them- or anyone for that matter- than not trading for him. Get the talent here and Danny and Brad will work it out from there.

You cannot ignore the Cavs.  They play in the Eastern Conference.  In my opinion Melo would be a massive upgrade for them over Kevin Love.  It puts them in a very good position to coast through the East for a least two more years.  I do not think adding Love to the Celtics will be good enough to beat a healthy Cavs team with Melo and Lebron.

Ainge knows this.  It was the addition of Lebron to the Heat that essentially killed whatever chances our last great team had at winning another title.  Adding Melo to the Cavs is not necessarily the same thing, but it sure is like giving Lebron another Wade to play with.  Why would he do that?  Kevin Love is a very good player, but there is no guarantee that a Free Agent of any quality is going to sign in Boston and there is not guarantee that another team will trade us another "star" if acquiring Love is not enough.

So as I said originally...this is not happening.

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I dunno man, think about it this way...
Lebron will want this trade done now. He only has so many NBA finals appearances left. Melo is about to turn 32 years old. Just getting this playoff run with Melo in there would be a good post season result for them. Even if they lose to the Warriors/Spurs, their excuse will be 'Kevin Loves was bad and Melo didn't have enough time to adjust so next year we'll be fine'.

The Knicks don't have a pick this year because they traded it away (Toronto have it). They will want something for Melo while he's worth something, and as he hits age 32, that value decreases significantly- so getting a potential top 5 pick now for him and pairing that pick with Porzingis is pretty much the best result they could ask for.

Given Lebron's power in Cleveland, if he wants this to happen now, there's a good chance the front office may just have to do it.

As I said earlier, my biggest concern here is that Melo won't agree to be traded until after his $9 million bonus trade kicker is activated, which isn't for another 9 months.
Desperation builds over time so not worried at all. We can wait. But you are right Cavs and Knicks really shouldn't wait. Knicks want better picks now. And the expiring cap would let them target a guy like Barnes in offseason. LeBron is also desperate to win he bolted Cavs to Heat for the sake of winning crushing his home state fans. So C's are in the drivers seat. They should not have to deal the Nets 2016. Love isn't the player he was believed to be when Cavs traded for him. The world knows that now. Still top 25 so we could still use him. DA has to play this smart.

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

You cannot ignore the Cavs.  They play in the Eastern Conference.  In my opinion Melo would be a massive upgrade for them over Kevin Love.  It puts them in a very good position to coast through the East for a least two more years.  I do not think adding Love to the Celtics will be good enough to beat a healthy Cavs team with Melo and Lebron.

Ainge knows this.  It was the addition of Lebron to the Heat that essentially killed whatever chances our last great team had at winning another title.  Adding Melo to the Cavs is not necessarily the same thing, but it sure is like giving Lebron another Wade to play with.  Why would he do that?  Kevin Love is a very good player, but there is no guarantee that a Free Agent of any quality is going to sign in Boston and there is not guarantee that another team will trade us another "star" if acquiring Love is not enough.

So as I said originally...this is not happening.
Didn't DA help Love go to Cavs or was that LeBron. Or both? I know DA was involved in the trade to help Cavs get better so I think he just says I want something that makes C's better and doesn't worry about the other teams moves.

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Adam Himmelsbach: Re: Kevin Love. League source says the Cavs have been shopping him around, but that the asking price is very high. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Adam Himmelsbach: Re: Kevin Love. League source says the Cavs have been shopping him around, but that the asking price is very high. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach
Correction. Lebron is shopping him around.