Author Topic: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)  (Read 37121 times)

Re: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Let's say the Celtics did get Love and the Nets pick became the #1 pick in the draft.

That would have to be the first time in history, maybe in all of professional sports, the same player got traded TWICE for #1 draft picks, correct?

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It makes sense for Boston to get Love but it makes zero sense for them to facilitate Cleveland getting Melo.  This is not happening.

That's the part I don't like at all. We would not only drastically improve Cleveland's chances of winning it all this year, and for the next 2 years, we would also help NY, a team in our division, with their rebuild by giving them some of our best assets presumably. I guess it depends on what assets we move in this deal. If we don't move any Brooklyn picks or Smart or Bradley or Crowder, or IT, then I'm ok with it.

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It makes sense for Boston to get Love but it makes zero sense for them to facilitate Cleveland getting Melo.  This is not happening.

That's the part I don't like at all. We would not only drastically improve Cleveland's chances of winning it all this year, and for the next 2 years, we would also help NY, a team in our division, with their rebuild by giving them some of our best assets presumably. I guess it depends on what assets we move in this deal. If we don't move any Brooklyn picks or Smart or Bradley or Crowder, or IT, then I'm ok with it.

Ainge doesn't care, though he probably doesn't think Melo's a great fit in CLE (because he's not).

He sees a window opening for the Cs in the next 2-3 seasons, while Clevelands will be beginning to shut.

He's also smart enough to know that the Cavs, even with Melo, are not beating GSW or SAS -- and are capped out.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Ainge doesn't care, though he probably doesn't think Melo's a great fit in CLE (because he's not).

He sees a window opening for the Cs in the next 2-3 seasons, while Clevelands will be beginning to shut.

He's also smart enough to know that the Cavs, even with Melo, are not beating GSW or SAS -- and are capped out.

Yeah, I guess the positive side to it is that in 2-3 years Lebron and Melo will be just about done and the Cavs will have only Kyrie to lean on, assuming his health holds up.

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The best thing about this deal is that I'm not even sure that Carmelo would be an upgrade for them. If you think Love was not down for a lesser role, how do you think Carmelo will handle that?? Also, that just adds one more iso-heavy offensive player to that starting lineup. There's no way there are enough touches to satisfy and fully take advantage of three ball-dominant stars in Melo, Lebron, and Irving.

I was thinking the same thing about the touches, but I had a scary thought: what if the Cavs go after Howard too.

Something like Tristan Thompson and Mozgov and the Cavs 2018 first for Howard.

Now you have:

Howard
james
Melo
Smith
Irving

That would be one scary ass starting 5. Not much depth with just Delladova and Schumpert getting decent minutes, but gotta think that a lot of ring chasers sign on in the summer.

i don't like the idea of helping the Cavs at all.

that would be like The Avengers assembling to take on Golden State.

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't care if Cleveland gets howard and melo. those players have no substance, and they're fake stars imo. if the trade happens at first they'll be "scary" and then when it comes down to playing in the big time they'll fold like a cheap tent.

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I can see this deal happening, I bet Lebron is working on Melo all weekend.  It kind of makes sense for all parties.  The Knicks can build around the rook, the Cavs get Lebron's buddy and the C's get their new star.  I hope it happens.  If the C's get love I would really like them to pair him with Howard or Horford...

Re: RUMOR: Love to the Celtics, Carmelo to Cle
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
How about Love to the Knicks and Porzingas to Boston instead?

NY wouldn't move Porzingis.  His cost-controlled talent combined with his ability to be marketed is a dream for a franchise.

The whole point of moving Carmelo is to push the franchise toward building around Porzingas, and if they could move Melo for a couple young guys like Sully and Rozier, a future Brooklyn pick (2017 or 18, likely lottery), and a couple other picks like the Dallas and Minny ones, and a huge expiring, you HAVE to think about it. No ones gonna give you that kinda package for Melo straight up because no team that wants him has the kind of assets to do so.

Plus, it's important to remember that NY really wants out of that Melo deal now that Porzingas has solidified himself as the future of the franchise. Melo is signed for huge money for the next few years. Getting rid of that contract, plus getting that package of assets from us would be good for them.

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would only give up the Nets 2018 first in this deal.

Give them the Celtics and Mavs 2016, Nets 2018 1st, Rozier and RJ.

Also the Cavs badly want this trade so let NY gut them also in this deal. Cavs give up two first rounders 

So Knicks would get Celtics 2016, Mavs 2016, Nets 2018, and two firsts from Cavs. And then Rozier and RJ.

Edit. after looking that over I'm not even sure we need to add the 2018 nets.

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

But if we are building around Love and IT, how is our window any different?  IT and Love (two all stars) do not put us in the top tier or do you think they do?  I don't think Carmelo and IT do either.  Love and LeBron or Carmelo and LeBron is a very different animal and they can throw in Kyrie too who probably is equal and may well be better than IT.

As far as CLE, I think everyone is a little quick to assume they can't beat SAS or GSW, especially if they have Carmelo.  Sure, GSW were way better than a CLE team with no Kyrie and no Love but CLE will likely be a very different team this year.

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

But if we are building around Love and IT, how is our window any different?  IT and Love (two all stars) do not put us in the top tier or do you think they do?  I don't think Carmelo and IT do either.  Love and LeBron or Carmelo and LeBron is a very different animal and they can throw in Kyrie too who probably is equal and may well be better than IT.

As far as CLE, I think everyone is a little quick to assume they can't beat SAS or GSW, especially if they have Carmelo.  Sure, GSW were way better than a CLE team with no Kyrie and no Love but CLE will likely be a very different team this year.
I think when you surround them with guys like Crowder and Smart it does.

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Melo will be 32.5 years old at the start of next season. Love will have just turned 28.
Melo is on the decline and probably has 2-3 good years left.

We need to get top 20 players here and not worry about the Cavs. Right now we don't stand a chance to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series. If we had Love (plus say, Dwight Howard), then we would stand a chance vs Lebron and Melo. We'd also have a better chance of getting Durant here.

All that has to make sense is that we are getting significantly better with this move, and the Cavs *might* get a slight upgrade.

I'm not so sure the Cavs would be that much better off with another ball dominant player about to turn 32 years old....

I can't stress enough how good Kevin Love will be with Brad Stevens running offense for him and our defensive pitbulls surrounding him. Mother of God if we could get Dwight Howard next to him protecting the rim...wow.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
The best thing about this deal is that I'm not even sure that Carmelo would be an upgrade for them. If you think Love was not down for a lesser role, how do you think Carmelo will handle that?? Also, that just adds one more iso-heavy offensive player to that starting lineup. There's no way there are enough touches to satisfy and fully take advantage of three ball-dominant stars in Melo, Lebron, and Irving.

I was thinking the same thing about the touches, but I had a scary thought: what if the Cavs go after Howard too.

Something like Tristan Thompson and Mozgov and the Cavs 2018 first for Howard.

Now you have:

Howard
james
Melo
Smith
Irving

That would be one scary ass starting 5. Not much depth with just Delladova and Schumpert getting decent minutes, but gotta think that a lot of ring chasers sign on in the summer.

i don't like the idea of helping the Cavs at all.

that would be like The Avengers assembling to take on Golden State.
here was a team with four all stars, two of whom are top 20 nba players in history, and probable hall of fame coach. how did they do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_Los_Angeles_Lakers_season

i am not saying the above team could not win a championship. but i am saying it is not as simple as playing some video game where you plug in famous names.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Melo will be 32.5 years old at the start of next season. Love will have just turned 28.
Melo is on the decline and probably has 2-3 good years left.

We need to get top 20 players here and not worry about the Cavs. Right now we don't stand a chance to beat the Cavs in a 7 game series. If we had Love (plus say, Dwight Howard), then we would stand a chance vs Lebron and Melo. We'd also have a better chance of getting Durant here.

All that has to make sense is that we are getting significantly better with this move, and the Cavs *might* get a slight upgrade.

I'm not so sure the Cavs would be that much better off with another ball dominant player about to turn 32 years old....

I can't stress enough how good Kevin Love will be with Brad Stevens running offense for him and our defensive pitbulls surrounding him. Mother of God if we could get Dwight Howard next to him protecting the rim...wow.

Kevin Love is younger but is not a "spring chicken."  He has been in the league for 8 years.  He turns 28 this year.  He has an injury history.  He is not a good defender.

Like I said, he makes sense on Boston but giving Lebron even 2 years of a decent Melo is a stupid idea for the Celtics.  It is not happening.

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Only real problem I can see here is that Melo's trade kicker doesn't come into effect until midway through next season, so if he agrees to a trade now, he's giving up $9 million.

Doesn't seem like the kinda guy to let money like that go for the love of the game....
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.