Author Topic: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)  (Read 36973 times)

Re: Cavs, Knicks ,C's blockbuster in the works?(NY Daily News)
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 01:06:18 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Worth noting but there's a well written breakdown of the potential deal at the same site I posted yesterday.  it's here

http://onionsanddimes.com/2016/02/13/the-cs-cavs-and-knicks-are-discussing-a-monster-trade/

Gotta say it makes some good points.  Blog seems to have decent Celtics stuff from time to time.

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2016, 01:06:25 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Does this guy have any credibility?

A deal like this would obviously include the 2016 Brooklyn pick from our end in addition to other assets.   

I still think people around here are overrating that pick's value.  In Simmons most recent NBA podcast he asked his guest whether the Jazz would considering giving up Gordan Hayward for both that pick AND the Dallas 1st.  They came to the consensus that it wouldn't be worth it for the Jazz, because that pick ultimately might not be that good.  Simmons said getting Hayward for the Brooklyn 1st would be his dream scenario.

Yes, but that's not necessarily because Hayward is so great. The Jazz like Hayward a lot (some might say they overrated him) because he's still young and willing to play long-term in Utah, a tough market to sign FAs in. They're also not under any hurry to necessarily win now, so the price would get even higher. Finally, the team is currently in a "mature towards the playoffs" phase, not a selling phase. Getting a high draft pick wouldn't be as valuable to them because they're not trying to restart the rebuild process. They already have a lot of talent in the 25 and younger column.

Most would consider someone like Love or Carmelo an overall superior player to Hayward, but their values are lower because of their age, the circumstances of their team, and contracts.

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2016, 01:26:36 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
It would be pretty funny if we got him, then beat Cleveland in the second round though

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2016, 01:57:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
What is the framework of the deal?

Do we give new york our 2016 first or the 2017 swap+2018 picks?
I don't want to send out Crowder, Smart or the Brooklyn pick. I'd like to Keep IT and Olynyk too but if Olynyk has to go to get Love back then I spose that will have to do.

If the Cavs get Melo it means we don't have to send out Crowder, but I'm worried they'd then want the BRK 16' pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I don't want Love but I would really like Melo.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jneohf5

New York gets the 2016 BKN pick for this year and salary filler. Atlanta gets the DAL 2016 and our 2016 for Horford along with KO.

Smart
AB
Crowder
Melo
Horford

Sully,IT4,Turner,Zeller

We give up three picks this year to bring in two current/former all stars and we keep our perimeter defense in tact. I don't love giving up the BKN pick, I really don't. But Melo is on the books for two seasons after this one and after the cap booms his contract won't look as outlandish as it does now.

I'd also like Cleveland to keep Love as he seems to utterly ruin their chemistry. Call me crazy but I think that squad above gives Cleveland a really hard time in the conf. finals.

Obviously this is a pipe dream but it's one of the few deals I can imagine giving up the BKN pick for this year. What is worth noting is that I wouldn't do the NYK trade without the knowledge that we were doing the ATL trade too. I don't think that Melo alone puts us over the top this year so I wouldn't move a potential top-5 pick without the added bump from another really good player.

After writing this I'm loathe to give up the BKN pick for Melo. It just feels icky. The fact that it could end up as a top-2 pick make me agonize over the possibility of giving up Ben Simmons for 2 years of Melo. As it stands the pick has a 30% chance of ending up in the top-2...and Brooklyn probably isn't going to improve at the deadline with no GM in place.

Ok I take it back, I'm keeping the pick :)

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2016, 02:03:23 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I actually think this deal will happen. Just not until summertime.

My gut feeling tells me the one thing holding up this deal is Carmelo and his no-trade clause. Not because he doesn't want to go to Cleveland and play with Lebron for a ring, but because if he gets traded this summer, he gets a big trade kicker upwards of $9 million in addition to his current contract as opposed to now where I think he'd get $3 million if he were traded. Keep gettin them checks Melo!

I also want to see how good that Brooklyn pick is going to be before going after someone like Love, but Danny never ceases to surprise me with what he does.

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2016, 02:04:35 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Please make it go away, please make it go away, please make it go away...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I actually think this deal will happen. Just not until summertime.

My gut feeling tells me the one thing holding up this deal is Carmelo and his no-trade clause. Not because he doesn't want to go to Cleveland and play with Lebron for a ring, but because if he gets traded this summer, he gets a big trade kicker upwards of $9 million in addition to his current contract as opposed to now where I think he'd get $3 million if he were traded. Keep gettin them checks Melo!

I also want to see how good that Brooklyn pick is going to be before going after someone like Love, but Danny never ceases to surprise me with what he does.

I can hear a phone conversation now:
LBJ: "Melo, come win a championship in CLE. C'mon, man. Look at who I'm playing with right now. Guys out West are making us all look bad. Come to CLE, grab a ring, and we'll be the ones again."

Melo: "Man, you're crazy. You want me to leave 6 million on the table, though?

LBJ: "I will give you 6 million. Come to CLE."

Melo: "Okay. Lemme ask Lala."

In another part of the world:
Danny: "Guise, I will give you anyone not named IT4, Crowder, Smart, Olynyk... or that doesn't rhyme with "Crooklyn. You in? Lol"

Anyone listening: "No."
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

RUMOR: Love to the Celtics, Carmelo to Cle
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2016, 05:11:49 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Doesn't really say what we would be giving up, and I don't think this makes sense for Cleveland but here it is

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/report-blockbuster-nba-trade-rumor-involving-anthony-love?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Re: RUMOR: Love to the Celtics, Carmelo to Cle
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2016, 05:19:15 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Good morning.  Welcome to yesterday's news ;D

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2016, 05:56:19 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Its hard to keep up around here lol

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

A deal like this would obviously include the 2016 Brooklyn pick from our end in addition to other assets.   

I still think people around here are overrating that pick's value.  In Simmons most recent NBA podcast he asked his guest whether the Jazz would considering giving up Gordan Hayward for both that pick AND the Dallas 1st.  They came to the consensus that it wouldn't be worth it for the Jazz, because that pick ultimately might not be that good.  Simmons said getting Hayward for the Brooklyn 1st would be his dream scenario.

Do we really care what Bill Simmons thinks?
He wants Gordon Hayward...that should raise eyebrows right there.
They guy is a great personality and fun 'analyst', but he's pretty clueless with trade ideas and which players would make this team better.

Gordon Hayward isn't an All Star. He'll never be an All Star. Right now that pick is looking pretty good to go #3,4 or #5 and those 3 pick spots are far more valuable than Hayward will ever be considering how much money he's going to want on his next deal. Jae Crowder at
$7 million x5 years is infinitely more valuable than Gordon 'the white Jeff Green' Hayward.

Don't undervalue the Brooklyn pick just because some people overvalue it. Of course people will get green glasses and act like it's already Ben Simmons or Ingram- this is Celticsblog and that's always going to happen.
Ignoring the Ben Simmons dreams, it's value is very high and it's worth more than Gordon Hayward- It's probably not valuable enough for Blake Griffin or a real top 10 player, but for a top 20 guy in a bad situation like Kevin Love, it's probably a very powerful piece when combined with some of our younger assets and other picks.

If Danny can move it now and get someone like Love here, he'll probably do it. If he has to wait and gamble on it turning out in the top 3, then we may just bink Simmons or Ingram and then it's REALLY worth something- like a Blake Griffin something.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
How about Love to the Knicks and Porzingas to Boston instead?

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Do we really care what Bill Simmons thinks?
He wants Gordon Hayward...that should raise eyebrows right there.
They guy is a great personality and fun 'analyst', but he's pretty clueless with trade ideas and which players would make this team better.

Gordon Hayward isn't an All Star. He'll never be an All Star. Right now that pick is looking pretty good to go #3,4 or #5 and those 3 pick spots are far more valuable than Hayward will ever be considering how much money he's going to want on his next deal. Jae Crowder at
$7 million x5 years is infinitely more valuable than Gordon 'the white Jeff Green' Hayward.

Don't undervalue the Brooklyn pick just because some people overvalue it. Of course people will get green glasses and act like it's already Ben Simmons or Ingram- this is Celticsblog and that's always going to happen.
Ignoring the Ben Simmons dreams, it's value is very high and it's worth more than Gordon Hayward- It's probably not valuable enough for Blake Griffin or a real top 10 player, but for a top 20 guy in a bad situation like Kevin Love, it's probably a very powerful piece when combined with some of our younger assets and other picks.

If Danny can move it now and get someone like Love here, he'll probably do it. If he has to wait and gamble on it turning out in the top 3, then we may just bink Simmons or Ingram and then it's REALLY worth something- like a Blake Griffin something.

I agree with a lot of this but saying that Hayward is a "White Jeff Green" means you dont really watch Hayward play.

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Wow I missed alot going to bed early,

This is my guess at a NY,CLE,Cs deal

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jhz24pw

Cs get Love and Vujacic

Cavs get Anthony, Lopez and Early

Knicks get Lee, Sully, Mozgov, JR Smith , 2016 Nets pick and Mavs 2016

For Cs they get their star. The Cs should be able to keep him from being exposed on D and he would flourish in this offense. Losing the Nets pick stings and is made worse by giving up an additional first. However to land a 27 year old star level talent with out touching the core of this team would be huge and the Cs still have alot of future picks.

For Cavs they become a small ball nightmare over night. Granted fitting Melo in could prove tough but Irving, Shumpert, Melo Lebron and a big will be a tough guard for every team in the league except GS. Bringing in Lopez is a bonus as he would give them better rim protection and interior D then any other big currently on their roster. I could also see a possible switch here where Lopez goes to the Cs for Amir but I like this fit better.

For Knicks they gain a major asset in the Nets pick. I would expect Sully to slide in as the starting Center and fit nicely next to Prozingis with Movgoz getting heavy min as the 3rd big. The fact that they do not own their own pick precludes them from tanking so the addition of JR makes sense as he would provide scoring to compensate the loss of Melo. This trade really clears thrie Books in two seasons. If smart they could use the next 1.5 season to focus on the team growth around Prozingis and then add pieces in FA. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet