Author Topic: Marcus Smart World vs USA IN GAME  (Read 6718 times)

Re: Marcus Smart World vs USA IN GAME
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
I don't see why any knowledgeable basketball fan would put any stock - at either the team or individual level - into an exhibition game.
It's a pretty meaningless game, but Smart really didnt look like he belonged offensively.

You could say the same thing about the NBA Summer League, where future big men don't look like they belong because the guards won't pass them the ball.

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't see why any knowledgeable basketball fan would put any stock - at either the team or individual level - into an exhibition game.
It's a pretty meaningless game, but Smart really didnt look like he belonged offensively.
Thank you. He looked out of place.

Kept SMH saying oh no Marcus.

Jabari Parker looks like he's starting to regain his form. Mudiay was unbelievably shifty and quick.

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Because smart has been playing in a controlled offense in Boston. This game was anything but controlled. Marcus isn't a great fit when they're running up and down the court throwing alley oops.

Saying it's a "showboat game" is just a way of making excuses for Smart going 1-8 in a game with no defense while someone like Russell has 22 points and 7 assists while a guy like Hezonja nearly has a triple double.

I'm sure if someone like Hezonja was on the Celtics, he'd have no trouble putting up a SMart-esque 10 points on 36%/29%/75% shooting.  Given Hezonja's shooting percentages this year, I'd say it's an absolute certainty he'd be capable of shooting at least 29% from three in a "controlled offense". 

But it's true that a guy known primarily for his hustle and defensive ability isn't going to shine in a game like this. 

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2016, 11:31:03 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
That poncho looks like a bib on Shaq lol

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Because smart has been playing in a controlled offense in Boston. This game was anything but controlled. Marcus isn't a great fit when they're running up and down the court throwing alley oops.

Saying it's a "showboat game" is just a way of making excuses for Smart going 1-8 in a game with no defense while someone like Russell has 22 points and 7 assists while a guy like Hezonja nearly has a triple double.

I'm sure if someone like Hezonja was on the Celtics, he'd have no trouble putting up a SMart-esque 10 points on 36%/29%/75% shooting.  Given Hezonja's shooting percentages this year, I'd say it's an absolute certainty he'd be capable of shooting at least 29% from three in a "controlled offense". 

But it's true that a guy known primarily for his hustle and defensive ability isn't going to shine in a game like this.

I'd say Russell putting up good numbers kind of indicates that numbers mean nothing in this game
I'm bitter.

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2016, 12:21:23 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Thank you. He looked out of place.

Kept SMH saying oh no Marcus.

Jabari Parker looks like he's starting to regain his form. Mudiay was unbelievably shifty and quick.

I don't think we should over analyze a game in the All Star weekend.

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2016, 12:26:52 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

It's comical how much you contradict yourself.

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I'd say Russell putting up good numbers kind of indicates that numbers mean nothing in this game
I'd guess Russell ends up much better than Smart.

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2016, 03:46:18 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Lol you are  ridiculous.

If smart hit 6 threes you would say it's just an all star game.

If he doesn't do well you say he looked like he doesn't belong...

You are more biased than any other poster here.

What a joke.

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2016, 04:55:28 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

You're the guy who wrote the 5,000 word magnum opus about why summer league games don't matter, right?

Great words from a great man

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Because he's not really that knowledgable and who he's exactly a fan of is open for debate.

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
By Taylor C. Snow |  @Celtics
Celtics.com
February 13, 2016
The US Team experienced a constant flow of points during the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge and it was Marcus Smart of the Boston Celtics who got it all started for them.

On the US Team’s first possession, the sophomore guard took a handoff from Karl-Anthony Towns at the top of the arc, rose up without hesitation and rattled home the first three points of the game for his squad.

For the remainder of the contest, however, Smart served as a facilitator and took a conservative approach, which he later explained was because he wanted to avoid injury at all cost.
Smart’s early 3-pointer set the offensive tone for the US Team’s 157-154 win, though that was his only basket of the game. He did make his presence known in other facets, however, as he contributed with four assists, four rebounds and a steal during 22 minutes of play.

Smart was given the nod to start the game, alongside Jordan Clarkson of the Lakers, Jabari Parker of the Bucks, and Zach LaVine and Towns of the Timberwolves. That fivesome played the first 8 minutes and 44 seconds of the game, which consisted of two 20-minute halves.

The Celtics guard didn’t play his usual tenacious style of basketball Friday night, for one, because defense is relatively nonexistent during these All-Star Weekend exhibition games, and two, because he didn’t want to risk injury.

Rather than cut to the lane like he normally does, Smart stuck to the perimeter. Five of his eight shot attempts came from beyond the arc, and he had only one attempt inside the paint.

“My plan coming into it wasn’t to go in the lane at all really,” Smart said following the game. “Just to stay on the outside and stay away from injuries and just kind of take it slow.”
Better safe than sorry, right?

Though Smart did not cut to the hoop often, his teammates did, and on several occasions he was the one feeding them.

The guard dished out all four of his assists during the final 12 minutes of the game, starting with a long, one-handed alley-oop dish to Towns.

That was the first of three instances that Smart connected with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2015 Draft. He also spun a circus pass off the backboard to Towns for a layup, and later found him for an easy dunk under the hoop.

“[I was] just letting other guys have fun by the rim,” said Smart. “Give them the ball and let them do their thing.”

It was clear that Smart’s intention was to lay relatively low during this game, because he’s got much more important business on his slate during the upcoming months.

“I’m ready to get back out there and play for real when it counts,” he said eagerly. “It’ll feel good to get back with the team and everybody and try to start the second half on a good note.”

It seems as if Smart is just saving his best basketball for Boston’s stretch run as it closes out the season following the break.

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He drove twice and the rim blocked him once. So I'm not buying that.

The real problem is he's going up against better leapers. He doesn't want to get shown up at the rim. Can't blame him.

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I love how people are happy to interpret Smart sucking at the RS game as evidence of Smart sucking, but how eager they are to dismiss things like "Summer League" when Smart does well.

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I love how people are happy to interpret Smart sucking at the RS game as evidence of Smart sucking, but how eager they are to dismiss things like "Summer League" when Smart does well.
His summer league stats were pretty bad.

And why can't someone say Smart sucked in the game last night but still has great potential? No one said he generally sucks.