Author Topic: Slow news day: Do Brook and Thad regret signing?  (Read 1169 times)

Slow news day: Do Brook and Thad regret signing?
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I've thought about this a few times during the Nets horrible start and I really wonder how these guys can not regret the decision. I remember reading a few years back that Thad was the consummate professional when things fell apart in Philly, but that he really wanted to be on a competitive team. Since then he was moved to the T-Wolves and then to the Nets. Did he realize the Nets would be this bad? Does he really care more about the money than winning?

What about Brook? He is entering the latter half of his prime, and it doesn't seem like the Nets will be championship contenders. Will he be happy completing his prime there?

Re: Slow news day: Do Brook and Thad regret signing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
They choose the money at the end of the day. Chances are they will eventually get traded.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes, definitely.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Well, let's see:

They got paid more money than they would have gotten otherwise

They both hate playing defense anyways

They get to jack up whatever nonsense shots they want night in night out and don't have to adjust their games for the team at all

They get to live in NYC, which is basically just a playground for millionaires at this point

They have no expectations to win at all and everyone is happy with them no matter what

Brook's twin moved to the nearest team and they're best friends

So no, I think they're both psyched. 

Side note: some people from my work came to me and were interested in starting a rec league basketball team.  I have sort of played with a couple of them and I know that they're pretty terrible, at least compared to rec league players.  Like they're fine for pick up, but I don't think they understand how good people are in even a halfway decent rec league.  My first thought was, "oh my god, we're going to get killed every game.  This is a terrible idea."

But then, I got to thinking a little more.  And my thoughts became, "yeah ok, so you lose every game.  You'd be losing every game as the best guy on the team!  You wouldn't just be able to take 30 shots a game, your teammates would be begging you to do that!  Every time someone Googled my name, they'd see me scoring 25 ppg in a rec league for the next couple years."  It's frankly super tempting.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
They choose the money at the end of the day. Chances are they will eventually get traded.

Exactly.

Every time they start to feel sad about how much their team sucks, they just remember the extra money they're making.

Not everyone likes their job, but the money usually makes it worthwhile.  Just so happens Brook and Thad feel like they're "at work" more often than say Curry.  I doubt they regret signing anymore than the average person regrets that they had to get out of bed and go to work today.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Also, it doesn't seem like any player is going to be winning a ring, so long as this Warriors team is around.

My advice to players would be make your money now and try to win a ring later when they've broken up.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well, let's see:

They got paid more money than they would have gotten otherwise

They both hate playing defense anyways

They get to jack up whatever nonsense shots they want night in night out and don't have to adjust their games for the team at all

They get to live in NYC, which is basically just a playground for millionaires at this point

They have no expectations to win at all and everyone is happy with them no matter what

Brook's twin moved to the nearest team and they're best friends

So no, I think they're both psyched. 

Side note: some people from my work came to me and were interested in starting a rec league basketball team.  I have sort of played with a couple of them and I know that they're pretty terrible, at least compared to rec league players.  Like they're fine for pick up, but I don't think they understand how good people are in even a halfway decent rec league.  My first thought was, "oh my god, we're going to get killed every game.  This is a terrible idea."

But then, I got to thinking a little more.  And my thoughts became, "yeah ok, so you lose every game.  You'd be losing every game as the best guy on the team!  You wouldn't just be able to take 30 shots a game, your teammates would be begging you to do that!  Every time someone Googled my name, they'd see me scoring 25 ppg in a rec league for the next couple years."  It's frankly super tempting.
Awesome thinking till they triple team you every time you touch the ball and the team still loses by 30. Being a good player on a very bad team still blows.