Author Topic: Thomas/Cousins on court relationship  (Read 2326 times)

Thomas/Cousins on court relationship
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
On Lowe's podcast with Sam Amick, Amick said that the Kings decided against re-signing Thomas in order to make Cousins happy. He continued by saying that it's no secret that Cousins wasn't happy with the amount of time Thomas had the ball.

Re: Thomas/Cousins on court relationship
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
On Lowe's podcast with Sam Amick, Amick said that the Kings decided against re-signing Thomas in order to make Cousins happy. He continued by saying that it's no secret that Cousins wasn't happy with the amount of time Thomas had the ball.

Is he passing along insider info, or is he speculating?

I'd heard that the two were actually close.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/24/8837905/isaiah-thomas-is-already-recruiting-demarcus-cousins-to-the-celtics

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/9/4/4693670/demarcus-cousins-isaiah-thomas-twitter-war
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Is he passing along insider info, or is he speculating?

I'd heard that the two were actually close.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/24/8837905/isaiah-thomas-is-already-recruiting-demarcus-cousins-to-the-celtics

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/9/4/4693670/demarcus-cousins-isaiah-thomas-twitter-war

Insider info.

It sounds as though they get on personally, but on the court Cousins prefers having a more traditional pass first PG.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Heard that a lot of times.

Friends off the court. Not happy on the court. Isaiah too selfish.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Yeah I thought it was well known they were friends but Cousins prefers a pass first point guard. I think Rondo was still in Boston when Cousins said he was the point guard he wanted to play with.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd say they both were too selfish.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

The root cause of all failed relationships?

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

The root cause of all failed relationships?
perhaps not all, but certainly many.  :-\
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I definitely believe that Cousins wasn't happy about the amount of time IT had the ball, and prefers to play with a pass-first guy like Rondo.

And I definitely believe that Sac wanted to keep Cousins happy by going after the exact pass-first PG he wanted (Rondo).

Neither of those statements mean that Thomas/Cousins didn't get along on the court.  I'm sure they got along great, just not as great as Rondo/Cousins.

I don't think it's that Cousins didn't/doesn't want to play with IT, I think it's just that Cousins wanted to use his power and get the 2 players he wanted in town.  If you can do anything you want, and you want to play with your favorite PG, it doesn't matter if he's replacing your 2nd  favorite PG or your least favorite.  Just because he prefers Rondo, that doesn't mean IT is way down there on the list of PGs he'd play with.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

I'll take selfish if it results in points on the scoreboard and wins, although those IT-DMC teams were without the wins.

I think IT is a tad more mature than DMC, and that's putting it lightly. On television it appears that they get along, but as mentioned above it doesn't exactly appear that way behind the scenes. I remember much was made about IT tweeting at DMC following DMC's public frustrations with his own team last summer, and IT also requested a signed DMC jersey for someone or something.

I've watched a good bit of the Kings this year thanks to Rondo and DMC still hasn't reached his full potential, even with one of the better supporting casts he's ever had professionally. He's slow to get back on defense at times and prefers bringing the ball up himself 1-2 times a game over Rondo or another guard like Collison. I can't stand that. When the team pays $20+million for the guards to bring the ball up I see no reason for DMC to bring it up himself. I'd rather see him get down on the block and battling for position.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

I'll take selfish if it results in points on the scoreboard and wins, although those IT-DMC teams were without the wins.

I think IT is a tad more mature than DMC, and that's putting it lightly. On television it appears that they get along, but as mentioned above it doesn't exactly appear that way behind the scenes. I remember much was made about IT tweeting at DMC following DMC's public frustrations with his own team last summer, and IT also requested a signed DMC jersey for someone or something.

I've watched a good bit of the Kings this year thanks to Rondo and DMC still hasn't reached his full potential, even with one of the better supporting casts he's ever had professionally. He's slow to get back on defense at times and prefers bringing the ball up himself 1-2 times a game over Rondo or another guard like Collison. I can't stand that. When the team pays $20+million for the guards to bring the ball up I see no reason for DMC to bring it up himself. I'd rather see him get down on the block and battling for position.

Better supporting cast, worse coaching