Author Topic: Rumor: C's unlikely to trade for Horford or Howard  (Read 7174 times)

Re: Rumor: C's unlikely to trade for Horford or Howard
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean, sure it's unlikely.  Most potential trades don't happen.  I think they're some of the more likely trades to be pursued, but it's hardly a rumor to say that any given transaction is unlikely to occur.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
good.  why give up anything for guys on the downside?   they need to be patient for guys under or around 25.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
good.  why give up anything for guys on the downside?   they need to be patient for guys under or around 25.

that doesn't exist . There aren't going to be any superstars under 25 available ever

1) They are signed their first 4 years on a rookie contract
2) They will always resign with their 1st team for a 2nd contract because they have their Bird right , and this will be the players first big pay day .

See just about every superstar over the past 10 years  ( Davis, Lebron, Rose , Curry)

These guys just don't get traded until they are near the end of their 2nd contract ( Around age 27 ) , and thats only if their team isn't a contender  and they want out . ( see Dwight)

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

that doesn't exist . There aren't going to be any superstars under 25 available ever

2) They will always resign with their 1st team for a 2nd contract because they have their Bird right , and this will be the players first big pay day .

See just about every superstar over the past 10 years  ( Davis, Lebron, Rose , Curry)

These guys just don't get traded until they are near the end of their 2nd contract ( Around age 27 ) , and thats only if their team isn't a contender  and they want out . ( see Dwight)
interesting info, and succinctly state. a tp for the post.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Atlanta and Houston are Not getting the BK Picks....

Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Kelly+Sully's stats this year from my fantasy team over the last 30 days.  Not bad combined. Probably close to if not better than those guys in 41 minutes per game.  22 points, 12 boards, 4 assists, a couple blocks, steals, and 3's.  And about 47 percent shooting and a couple turnovers. Getting to the line and shooting good free throws too.

Kelly Olynyk

minutes-20:10
shots-4.3/8.8
fg%-.490
free throws-1.8/2.2
ft%-.838
3's-1.5
ppg-11.9
rebounds-4.3
assists-1.4
steals-0.5
blocks-0.4
turnover-1.1

Jared Sullinger Bos - PF,C

minutes-21:35
shots--4.4/9.9
fg%-.444
free throws-1.2/1.7
free throw percentage-.690
3's-0.2
ppg-10.2
rebounds-7.6
assists-2.6
steals-1.1
blocks-0.5
turnovers-1.4
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:21:39 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The only exception is when you find a way to trade for a guy still on his rookie deal, or coming off it recently, who then blossoms into a star (or at least a key piece) in a larger role.

James Harden is the most notable example of this, and the most recent example, though less impactful, is Reggie Jackson.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

interesting info, and succinctly state. a tp for the post.

yea , the last guy I can remember leaving after his 1st contract was TMac . I don't think they had the current rookie contract at the time where you can control players with Qualifying offer .

Of course you had guys like Monroe who took the QO and risked getting injured/ ability to be an UFA the following year, but Monroe isn't a superstar .

People have to get over the fact that they won't give up any assets unless they are getting a stud 25 or younger .

Horford and Howard will be near top 10-20 big men for the next 4 or 5 years . I think if you have a chance to get them at a reasonable price , you have to take that chance .

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It makes more sense to trade for Howard than trade for Horford, though I like the latter player much, much more.

Howard is at least under the Cs control for another year.  He fits a clear need as a dominant, huge, rim protecting big who can rebound and dunk a lot.  We simply don't have that on our roster, anywhere.  I am not advocating we trade for him, because we shouldn't, but he fits a need for sure. 

Horford is like a better version of Amir Johnson.  He gives you more on the offensive end for sure, and he would make the starting 5 much better.  Does he make this team an NBA finals contender?  Maybe, but that the Cs with Horford beat the Cavs if the Cavs play well.  There is no doubt in my mind that he fits the Cs well and complements the current roster.

Having said that, there is zero guarantee he resigns and quite frankly if I was him I wouldn't sign an extension with Boston if I was traded.  So if you are Boston are you willing to trade what it will take to pry Horford away from ATL (most likely at least one good young player and a 1st round pick) just to maybe get a slight chance at beating the Cavs/Raps this year to get to the Finals?  I say NO WAY. 

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Well stated.  Exactly.  TP.

This is an aspect of NBA reality that I think too many fans just don't seem to grasp.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

Fine, keep drafting.   Bringing in old ass Horford and old ass dwight won't do anything.

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Howard+Filler for Lee+Jerebko+Rozier+Boston pick or Mavs pick+2nd rounders. get it done!
- LilRip

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

[/quote

Well stated.  Exactly.  TP.

This is an aspect of NBA reality that I think too many fans just don't seem to grasp.

Therefore we tank  ;)

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Fine, keep drafting.   Bringing in old ass Horford and old ass dwight won't do anything.

Yeah, who ever won a ring trading for star players over 30?

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Yeah, who ever won a ring trading for star players over 30?

Exactly. Vets still win. We wouldn't have won banner 17 with Big Al, G-Money and Delonte West.

- LilRip