Author Topic: Rumor: C's unlikely to trade for Horford or Howard  (Read 7178 times)

Re: Rumor: C's unlikely to trade for Horford or Howard
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Thank goodness, if true.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I

LOVE

THIS

RUMOR  !

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This is like KG coming to Boston.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Yes! I can start eating again without the fear of throwing up.

:-\

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ainge likely to make a lowball offer that might be the best that either team gets, neither team likely to accept.

I tend to agree. Morey, especially is prideful to a fault. He has let players walk away before with nothing in return to the detriment of the franchise. This time, though, with that supposed Rox team meeting and H and H basically saying they don't want to play together, maybe Morey's hand will be forced since he has no leverage? Who Knows? 

The Hawks will hold out to the absolute last second with Horford. I agree that they will be unlikely to accept a low-ball.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Fans and the media are getting way too focused on the 'need a superstar' thing.  There's also a strategy you could call the 'incremental upgrade'.  That is you upgrade piece by piece as opportunities become available.

The team has good young talent, a newly minted star who's still improving, no bad contracts and lots of picks and flexibility.  They only way I mortgage the future is for another proven young star who's just entering his prime.  We already have one of those guys in Thomas.  He needs help but not necessarily Horford/Howard help that has asterisks attached.

I think both Howard and Horford at this stage in their careers are closer to an incremental upgrade than a superstar. 

We shouldn't overpay especially with both being FAs this summer but we have enough assets that by no means do we need to break the bank to get them.

They are both arguably Top 25 players in the league.  I'd take either over Carmelo Anthony or Pau Gasol.  I'd take Horford over Chris Bosh.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Fans and the media are getting way too focused on the 'need a superstar' thing.  There's also a strategy you could call the 'incremental upgrade'.  That is you upgrade piece by piece as opportunities become available.

The team has good young talent, a newly minted star who's still improving, no bad contracts and lots of picks and flexibility.  They only way I mortgage the future is for another proven young star who's just entering his prime.  We already have one of those guys in Thomas.  He needs help but not necessarily Horford/Howard help that has asterisks attached.

Agreed. Well said!

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge likely to make a lowball offer that might be the best that either team gets, neither team likely to accept.

I tend to agree. Morey, especially is prideful to a fault. He has let players walk away before with nothing in return to the detriment of the franchise. This time, though, with that supposed Rox team meeting and H and H basically saying they don't want to play together, maybe Morey's hand will be forced since he has no leverage? Who Knows? 

The Hawks will hold out to the absolute last second with Horford. I agree that they will be unlikely to accept a low-ball.

Any good GM is going to hold out for a Nets pick (if not this year's, then a future one) until 24 hours before the trade deadline, especially if they think there is a chance they might be making a deal this summer or next year for one of those picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
kind of makes sense.   We aren't contending for a title either way so why give up assets for a guy that we could sign this summer or could walk on us if we trade for him.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think both Howard and Horford at this stage in their careers are closer to an incremental upgrade than a superstar. 

We shouldn't overpay especially with both being FAs this summer but we have enough assets that by no means do we need to break the bank to get them.

They are both arguably Top 25 players in the league.  I'd take either over Carmelo Anthony or Pau Gasol.  I'd take Horford over Chris Bosh.

Wow - I wouldn't go that far, but I think this mostly boils down to semantics - a guy who's fringe top 25 in my opinion could maybe be called a star, but not a superstar.  Neither are All-Stars this year and both have injury concerns, so I'm not sure I'd put them in the top 25 at the moment either. 

They'd be a significant step up for sure, but not nearly to the level of a Durant or Imaginary Ben Simmons (meaning his ceiling as perceived by optimists), which is the kind of guy I think of when we talk about adding a superstar.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Wow - I wouldn't go that far, but I think this mostly boils down to semantics - a guy who's fringe top 25 in my opinion could maybe be called a star, but not a superstar.  Neither are All-Stars this year and both have injury concerns, so I'm not sure I'd put them in the top 25 at the moment either. 

They'd be a significant step up for sure, but not nearly to the level of a Durant or Imaginary Ben Simmons (meaning his ceiling as perceived by optimists), which is the kind of guy I think of when we talk about adding a superstar.

it's not like we wouldn't have the opportunity to add Durant and/or Simmons(or whoever we draft) this off-season . We would be much more attractive to free agents with either Horford or Howard already here  .

I probably don't give up any of the brk picks

but a package of sully , lee, a few mid 1st rd picks and some  2nds  would be a lot better than letting the walk for free if I am Hou or Atl .

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
If this is a tactic to lower the price, I think the price will have to go very low before DA really considers it. Our core playing group are doing so well and best picks so relatively valuable why not wait for free agency and get a star for the long haul?

Assets spent on a rental are gone once spent. That said, either player mentioned would be handy at the right price.

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

it's not like we wouldn't have the opportunity to add Durant and/or Simmons(or whoever we draft) this off-season . We would be much more attractive to free agents with either Horford or Howard already here  .

but a package of sully , lee, a few mid 1st rd picks and some  2nds  would be a lot better than letting the walk for free if I am Hou or Atl .

I agree. If the grand plan was to give up the farm with the idea of Howard and/or Horford being the missing piece(s), that would be a terrible idea that would mire us in mediocrity for years.

But if the plan is to add one or both, make a deeper playoff run, get a high pick in this summer's draft, and then try to sell Durant or another star on joining the team, then it's a pretty darn good idea.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I agree. If the grand plan was to give up the farm with the idea of Howard and/or Horford being the missing piece(s), that would be a terrible idea that would mire us in mediocrity for years.

But if the plan is to add one or both, make a deeper playoff run, get a high pick in this summer's draft, and then try to sell Durant or another star on joining the team, then it's a pretty darn good idea.

I think that is the plan, or rather, we're not making either deal unless we can do it without moving any of our major pieces (Brooklyn picks, IT, Crowder, Smart, probably Olynyk, and I get the impression Danny sneakily values the Memphis pick a great deal).  And the advantage of expiring contracts is that if we can't talk a legit star into the mix, we can just let Horford/Howard go and not have to drop ~$150 million on keeping them.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

It's also MUCH easier, cap-wise to add an additional expensive free agent (such as a Durant) if we acquired Horford _now_ rather than to wait and try to sign him as an UFA in the summer.

The reason is that if we trade for him now, we'd have his Bird Rights.   At the end of the season, we could agree with him to pay him up to a max contract (25M) but until we make it official, his cap-hold would only be 18M.   

This would leave a lot more room under the cap with which to make an offer to and sign another big expensive free agent (ex., Durant).   AFTER you sign the latter, you can then use your Bird Rights to go over the cap with Horford's contract.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.