Author Topic: Bleacher report says the celtics should go for monroe  (Read 6188 times)

Re: Bleacher report says the celtics should go for monroe
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Isn't he god awful on defense?

He's a sieve.  He's only pretty good on offense.  I really dislike him as a player overall.

My nightmare team:

Tyreke Evans
Dion Waiters
Rudy Gay
Greg Monroe
Brook Lopez

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Sure is, and a lot of folks think MIL's disappointment this year has a lot to do with him. It's hard to center your offense around a guy like that when you only have 1 legit 3 point shooter. It worries me as far as a trade goes

Still, to me if we could get him for something like Lee, Sully and picks I'd probably be for it. Monroe could step right into Sully's current role and probably succeed pretty well. It's just tough because Sully has a better mid-range shooting game and having Monroe almost necessitates having a plus defender next to him, and Amir/Monroe doesn't make for great spacing. His passing skills may make that less of a concern, but I really question whether Monroe/Zeller or Monroe/Olynyk would be able to be passable defensively. I feel like we could run into the same problems with Monroe that we did with Lee. He may be a very good player individually, racking up big stats, but has a way of making everyone around him less effective.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What??? Lol

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I like Moose. He's a great offensive player. He's also a Harden-level defensive disaster and probably not as good a fit for us as someone like Zeller.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Sure is, and a lot of folks think MIL's disappointment this year has a lot to do with him. It's hard to center your offense around a guy like that when you only have 1 legit 3 point shooter. It worries me as far as a trade goes

Still, to me if we could get him for something like Lee, Sully and picks I'd probably be for it. Monroe could step right into Sully's current role and probably succeed pretty well. It's just tough because Sully has a better mid-range shooting game and having Monroe almost necessitates having a plus defender next to him, and Amir/Monroe doesn't make for great spacing. His passing skills may make that less of a concern, but I really question whether Monroe/Zeller or Monroe/Olynyk would be able to be passable defensively. I feel like we could run into the same problems with Monroe that we did with Lee. He may be a very good player individually, racking up big stats, but has a way of making everyone around him less effective.

Might be a longshot but a future Monroe/Mickey pairing could be just right. Post scoring/offensive spacing. Interior Size/perimeter speed. Mickey could in theory be just the type of player (like an Ibaka) who could mask Monroe's deficiencies and allow him to focus on dominating his match up.

Monroe was also a very good passer at Gerogetown. I bet he could get his assist totals up around his career best 3.5 that he put up in 12/13 on Detroit if he came here.

---

I made this point the other day in another thread so excuse me for repeating myself but Isaiah was viewed as a flawed player who was difficult to play with before he came and now he's an all star. Think Monroe could have a similar uptick and finally find a defined role if he was traded here.

Finally for what it's worth think Sullinger would do well in Milwaukee and Kidd would make use of his passing ability and BBIQ. Like a lot of folks around here seem to be, I'm higher on this trade as a fit than Horford and less worried about him physically breaking down than Howard.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:34:48 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

---

I made this point the other day in another thread so please excuse me for repeating myself but Isaiah was viewed as a flawed player who was difficult to play with before he came and now he's an all star. Think Monroe could have a similar uptick and finally find a defined role if he was traded here.

.......I'm higher on this trade as a fit than Horford and less worried about him physically breaking down than Howard.

I agree.

Young (25 years old), experienced (6th year in the league), incredibly durable, good passer, good rebounder, has the physical tools to be a decent defender, runs the floor well and locked up for 2 1/2 more years at only $17mil.

The guy's a bargain. He will be far more effective defensively with our perimeter defenders.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
---

I made this point the other day in another thread so please excuse me for repeating myself but Isaiah was viewed as a flawed player who was difficult to play with before he came and now he's an all star. Think Monroe could have a similar uptick and finally find a defined role if he was traded here.

.......I'm higher on this trade as a fit than Horford and less worried about him physically breaking down than Howard.

I agree.

Young (25 years old), experienced (6th year in the league), incredibly durable, good passer, good rebounder, has the physical tools to be a decent defender, runs the floor well and locked up for 2 1/2 more years at only $17mil.

The guy's a bargain. He will be far more effective defensively with our perimeter defenders.

I'm in a fantasy league (Plug to DKCLeague, always looking for new members) where i have a lot invested in Monroe. I watched him a lot on the Pistons, I've watched probably 15 or so of his games this year.

What i think, is that Monroe is not a leader. He's not a guy who can call out defensive sets. He's a frontrunner, where he plays about as well as his team is playing. He demands (and deserves, usually) the ball regardless, but when the team is down, emotionally, not necessarily score-wise, Monroe does not run hard, he does not rotate on defense, he points fingers when there are blown assignments on the wing that he can't cover.

When they're losing, looking at Monroe is easy as a part of the problem, because he is. He can't be a defensive anchor in a lineup of flawed defenders, and resents when guys who aren't good defenders let their guy blow by them. He starts looking at the refs after every missed shot, or turnover. He is kind of a wet blanket when things are down, if that makes sense.

He's also obviously the Bucks best player when the team is engaged. He offers something only 3 or 4 other centers in the NBA can offer, in that you can legit run your offense through him. He doesn't have gaudy assist numbers, because he makes the pass that makes the pass. Think Marc Gasol level passing. Monroe could offer that. He also is kind of unstoppable in the post if the rest of the defense is being kept honest. Think of the best defensive center in the NBA. Greg Monroe can score on them. He's also been an elite rebounder in the past, and I'm sure he can be one again. He's only a pretty good rebounder for the position now.

Greg Monroe is a lot like a gifted but somewhat lazy teenager. He can surprise you when you put him in a position to succeed. He has a problem with self-motivation, he needs a team around him that is motivated. He likes to think he's important, but if you ask him to handle too much, you're going to be disappointed. He thinks he's 'the man', but is terrified of really embracing the role, and would rather someone else did it. He likes to be a part of something that is excited, if you put him on a team with a strong coach, with motivated teammates who have bought in, he'll fall in line. If he's on a team that is a bit rudderless, well...you'll go nowhere.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
---

I agree.

I'm in a fantasy league (Plug to DKCLeague, always looking for new members) where i have a lot invested in Monroe. I watched him a lot on the Pistons, I've watched probably 15 or so of his games this year.

What i think, is that Monroe is not a leader. He's not a guy who can call out defensive sets. He's a frontrunner, where he plays about as well as his team is playing. He demands (and deserves, usually) the ball regardless, but when the team is down, emotionally, not necessarily score-wise, Monroe does not run hard, he does not rotate on defense, he points fingers when there are blown assignments on the wing that he can't cover.

When they're losing, looking at Monroe is easy as a part of the problem, because he is. He can't be a defensive anchor in a lineup of flawed defenders, and resents when guys who aren't good defenders let their guy blow by them. He starts looking at the refs after every missed shot, or turnover. He is kind of a wet blanket when things are down, if that makes sense.

He's also obviously the Bucks best player when the team is engaged. He offers something only 3 or 4 other centers in the NBA can offer, in that you can legit run your offense through him. He doesn't have gaudy assist numbers, because he makes the pass that makes the pass. Think Marc Gasol level passing. Monroe could offer that. He also is kind of unstoppable in the post if the rest of the defense is being kept honest. Think of the best defensive center in the NBA. Greg Monroe can score on them. He's also been an elite rebounder in the past, and I'm sure he can be one again. He's only a pretty good rebounder for the position now.

Greg Monroe is a lot like a gifted but somewhat lazy teenager. He can surprise you when you put him in a position to succeed. He has a problem with self-motivation, he needs a team around him that is motivated. He likes to think he's important, but if you ask him to handle too much, you're going to be disappointed. He thinks he's 'the man', but is terrified of really embracing the role, and would rather someone else did it. He likes to be a part of something that is excited, if you put him on a team with a strong coach, with motivated teammates who have bought in, he'll fall in line. If he's on a team that is a bit rudderless, well...you'll go nowhere.

Sounds like we're a good match (Monroe and the current engaged, exciting, ball moving, defensive minded Cs).

TP, IP....great insight as always. Excellent teenager analogy too. You've obviously watched him a lot.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sounds like we're a good match (Monroe and the current engaged, exciting, ball moving, defensive minded Cs).

TP, IP....great insight as always. Excellent teenager analogy too. You've obviously watched him a lot.

Appreciated. It might be a bit biased though, because not only have I watched him a lot, I was also a 'smart but unmotivated' teenager at one point. I've also moonlighted as a 'smart but unmotivated' 20-something. Insider info.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:41 AM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Make a push for the finals this year and go for it.  I know this might sound crazy but it's very possible I believe with two trades, both we've been linked to. 

The first trade is the Howard trade that's going around with a slight change, they say two 1st rounders but I think we could get it done with one 1st round and two 2nd round.

Trade One
Celtics:
Lee
Jerebko
Boston 2016 1st round
Two of our four 2nd round picks.

Rockets
Howard
Harrell

Trade Two

Bucks
Monroe

Celtics
Johnson
Olynyk
Rozier (Has to add to the deal to make them even think about it)
Dallas 2016 1st

We still get to keep the Brooklyn pick which can add a key piece. 

Starter Five
Center - Howard
Power Forward - Monroe (moves him back to a better spot and next year can play center if we don't keep Howard)
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Thomas

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Power Forward - Sullinger
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Hunter
Point Guard - Smart

Fillers
Power Forward - Harrell
Power Forward - Mickey
Shooting Guard - Young

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 07:11:10 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
---

I agree.

TP - great summing up of his good and bad points.

I get what you're saying about his lack of leadership abilities, but in a way I think that's sort of a plus for him on our team - it's not a good thing to have everyone demand a leadership role and we have enough gritty, roll-your-sleeves-up guys anyway. His skill set addresses a need, and while he's not a good interior defender, that's not what our defence is built on anyway.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Make a push for the finals this year and go for it.  I know this might sound crazy but it's very possible I believe with two trades, both we've been linked to. 

The first trade is the Howard trade that's going around with a slight change, they say two 1st rounders but I think we could get it done with one 1st round and two 2nd round.

Trade One
Celtics:
Lee
Jerebko
Boston 2016 1st round

Rockets
Howard
Harrell

Trade Two

Bucks
Monroe

Celtics
Johnson
Olynyk
Dallas 2016 1st

Starter Five
Center - Howard
Power Forward - Monroe (moves him back to a better spot and next year can play center if we don't keep Howard)
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Thomas

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Hunter
Point Guard - Smart

Fillers
Power Forward - Harrell
Power Forward - Mickey
Shooting Guard - Young

That might just be the best terrible trade I've ever seen. We get two fairly big names, keep Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Thomas and the Brooklyn picks. But neither Howard nor Monroe can hit a shot outside of 13 feet. Just like Noel/Okafor in Philly, that pairing would be a disaster. The presence of one makes it much harder for the other to do what he's good at.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Trade One
Celtics:
Lee
Jerebko
Boston 2016 1st round

Rockets
Howard
Harrell

Trade Two

Bucks
Monroe

Celtics
Johnson
Olynyk
Dallas 2016 1st

Starter Five
Center - Howard
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Thomas

Back Up Five
Center - Zeller
Small Forward - Turner
Shooting Guard - Hunter
Point Guard - Smart

Fillers
Power Forward - Harrell
Power Forward - Mickey
Shooting Guard - Young

That might just be the best terrible trade I've ever seen. We get two fairly big names, keep Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Thomas and the Brooklyn picks. But neither Howard nor Monroe can hit a shot outside of 13 feet. Just like Noel/Okafor in Philly, that pairing would be a disaster. The presence of one makes it much harder for the other to do what he's good at.

That frontcourt would be a clone of the disastrous Drummond/Monroe frontcourt
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:08:10 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
He's been infamously credited for MIL's poor season, along with Parker. Both of which are supposedly on the block (surprise, surprise). For clarification, when I say Monroe has been credited for MIL's lackluster season as compared to last year, I'm referring to ESPN and Sirius NBA Radio since all I see are the box scores from time to time.

I want someone we can count on for defense. While we need an efficient second, or even a new primary scorer, I do not think we should covet that while sacrificing defense. We're top ten in the league offensively and defensively. Let's not ruin this by giving up too much.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

He's a sieve.  He's only pretty good on offense.  I really dislike him as a player overall.

My nightmare team:

Tyreke Evans
Dion Waiters
Rudy Gay
Greg Monroe
Brook Lopez

That s pretty funny but I agree .......I would add Melo as my Sixth man.