Author Topic: marcus and going to hoop  (Read 2314 times)

marcus and going to hoop
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:50:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
last year marcus was injured and lost some explosiveness and lift thats not good for a rookie who had to go against nba bigs-i have watched marcus make huge strides going to the basket from floaters ,to pullups to forcing his way-OK there are times he is out of control but this is only his 2nd year and he had his injuries steal alot of time and effect his playing coming back
marcus is such a force defensively  -i have been caught up in celtics barrage of last minute wins and the myriad of ways marcus effects a game from offensive boards ,defensive rebounds,drawing charges and the overlooked offensive fouls on screensetters,defensively harrassing his man on and off ball using strength, motor, deceptive wingspan and his inate defensive IQ
this 2nd year 21 year old in my green goggled defensive mood was the steal-like tommy i have never seen such a mature force so young-
there will be offensive players galore but defensive gems are much rarer-jimmy butler,kwani,chrowder show how offence can mature but the will and skill for defence is the magic
and we have been privileged to see this in recent games with crowder ,marcus and avery-it is infectious pulling jerebko,turner,sully with it
it is no wonder ainge wanted winslow but his impact is not nearly what marcus brings
i was groomed in defence,it hurts
 often misunderstood unappreciated for its nuances -taking time off clock,pushing players off their spots,altering shots and timing,wearing opponents down and when done inmass overwhelming-4 straight steals to win a game
marcus is learning offence,improving shooting skills,getting to hoop and learning on d but none of us will notice it will be little subtle things but we will notice the effects-and be left going wow
like his pivot to take away a rebound on foul shot-this is no ordinary guard
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:34:30 AM by rollie mass »

Re: marcus and going to hoop
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
you know i didn't mention his three point shooting and how people were mocking his low precentage-not now
-like crowder,like butler -this kid will practice till he is more than competent shooter
just being around isaiah ,chrowder and avery what a gift
isaiah has to be an inspiration to smart the way isaiah attacks-both rozier and marcus will take bits and pieces of his game--
a week of snow days for marcus and the pleasure of being among the all stars and playing in a game with his young peers

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:57 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
For a guy like Smart who's driving game is based mostly on bulling through defenders, it takes time to get adjusted to the strength and athleticism of NBA players. When you factor in his ankle injury, and his role as. 5th option on a playoff team, the lack of drives kind of makes sense.

This year, he's improved considerably in that area. He's taking it to the rack aggressively, beating or bulling through guys on his way there, and generating a lot more trips to the line. He's also using his post-up game effectively against opposing guards. Now, he's still having trouble finishing consistently, but that will also come with time and reps. He certainly has the capability. And his passing skills are very good for someone who's "not a true PG", adding another dimension to his drive/kick game.

His shooting is normalizing now too. He's creeping up closer to that 32.5% he was at last year, which is a respectable mark, and I expect him to exceed that in coming years. He works far too hard not to exceed it. Add in the ELITE defense, plus all the little things he does on the court at 21 years old, and you've got the closest thing to untouchable this roster has. Not a whole lot of guys I'd consider trading him for.

I'm still very excited about his future. Since returning from injury, he's put together a string of 12-15+ point games, which is a great sign for his growth. If he can consistently generate 12-15 points as a 21 year old sophomore, what's he gonna be able to do at 24 when you consider his attitude and work ethic. He has the potential to be one of the leagues best two way players in 3-5 years.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
There is no doubt in my mind that Marcus is a keeper.  He's only going to get better and his passion and D are almost unmatched.  I think if he keeps going to the basket early in his career, he'll eventually get a very consistent outside shot and he'll be great.  This is the same path DWade followed and I see the same potential in Marcus.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
we have two absolute gems on this team in smart and crowder.
they both have the fire and will to win of champions.
they display aggression, grit, and leadership.
it's KG like.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
TP's for all the smart guys-don't we love celtics and east coast gritty basketball-

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
it's KG like.

Yes we do, and ones only 21 and has three years left on his rookie deal, and the other is only 25 and locked up on an unbelievable deal for four years. They're the heart and soul of this team, and they're only getting better. Warriors like Thomas, Bradley and Amir fit perfectly with them.

If someone said we could trade Smart or Crowder and the Brooklyn pick for Griffin Id have a hard time saying yes, because they're just so important to building the right kind of team. You wanna keep at least those guys to set the tone and hold people accountable as we put more talent around them.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
it's KG like.

Yes we do, and ones only 21 and has three years left on his rookie deal, and the other is only 25 and locked up on an unbelievable deal for four years. They're the heart and soul of this team, and they're only getting better. Warriors like Thomas, Bradley and Amir fit perfectly with them.

If someone said we could trade Smart or Crowder and the Brooklyn pick for Griffin Id have a hard time saying yes, because they're just so important to building the right kind of team. You wanna keep at least those guys to set the tone and hold people accountable as we put more talent around them.

this is right on.
crowder is the defacto captain of this team. he doesn't hold back in demanding the best from his team mates.
Marcus's play is an example to the whole team "you play like this you have a chance to win"

both are indispensable.

it is worth noting that the c's pulled out the clips win with both on the benchwith 6 fouls.
the team gritted it out behind IT, Bradley, and Turner. I believe that it is the infectious winning drive of Smart and Jae that carried them to the win. take them off the team and that would dissipate.

SMARTICUS!
and Jae "I'm so FLY i don't need a nickname" Crowder

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
it's KG like.

this is right on.
crowder is the defacto captain of this team. he doesn't hold back in demanding the best from his team mates.
Marcus's play is an example to the whole team "you play like this you have a chance to win"

both are indispensable.

it is worth noting that the c's pulled out the clips win with both on the benchwith 6 fouls.
the team gritted it out behind IT, Bradley, and Turner. I believe that it is the infectious winning drive of Smart and Jae that carried them to the win. take them off the team and that would dissipate.

SMARTICUS!
and Jae "I'm so FLY i don't need a nickname" Crowder

And that's exactly it. Even Thomas said "This team is the definition of never give up" and he's right. Even the games they've lost they've put themselves in the position to win. They always play to the last whistle. That all starts with Jae and Marcus. Next year, I hope they're co-captains, because they set the tone for how this Celtic team is going to play.

Just look at ET. He was known as a volume chucked who couldn't play defense when he got he. Now, he's basically running the 2nd unit as a 6-7 PG, buying into his role and has improved his defense to the point where he's actually a good defender.  That comes from the team-first, Whatever it takes mentality starts with them

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
TP's for all the smart guys-don't we love celtics and east coast gritty basketball-

Yes we do Rollie- Love the enthusiasm! TP
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
you know i didn't mention his three point shooting and how people were mocking his low precentage-not now
-like crowder,like butler -this kid will practice till he is more than competent shooter
Yup, just like Rondo, Howard, Jordan, and Drummond will practice until they're competent free throw shooters. It's happening, book it :-D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yup, just like Rondo, Howard, Jordan, and Drummond will practice until they're competent free throw shooters. It's happening, book it :-D
The difference is Smart has shown to be a streaky shooter. He showed it last year and he has showed it this year. Rondo, Howard, Jordan and Drummond have never been streaky free throw shooters they have always just been bad.

Smart is shooting 38% from 3 for the last 15 games. Last year he had shot around 40% for months at a time. He's not a bad shooter, he just is inconsistent which is to be expected from a young player.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton

Difference being that guys like Jordan are known for putting minimal effort into FT's, while Smart is known for putting maximum effort into every aspect of his game.

Smart shot 33% last year from 3, is shooting 38% from 3 the past 15 games and has shot 40% over prolonged periods. It's not a stretch to say that he's able to reach 36% or more from deep regularly in his prime.