Author Topic: marcus and going to hoop  (Read 2316 times)

Re: marcus and going to hoop
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
you know i didn't mention his three point shooting and how people were mocking his low precentage-not now
-like crowder,like butler -this kid will practice till he is more than competent shooter
Yup, just like Rondo, Howard, Jordan, and Drummond will practice until they're competent free throw shooters. It's happening, book it :-D
The difference is Smart has shown to be a streaky shooter. He showed it last year and he has showed it this year. Rondo, Howard, Jordan and Drummond have never been streaky free throw shooters they have always just been bad.

Smart is shooting 38% from 3 for the last 15 games. Last year he had shot around 40% for months at a time. He's not a bad shooter, he just is inconsistent which is to be expected from a young player.
What?! Rondo had so many FT streaks when we thought he was turning it around that it's not even fun. Were you not paying attention? You should check his 2008-9 breakdowns for an illustrative example -- multiple months of ~55% FT shooting and multiple months of ~75% shooting.

Ironically, the problem with both Smart and Rondo is the same -- bad form. Smart brings the ball down and has a hitch in his shot. He's not quite as bad as Tony Allen, but is certainly suboptima.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
you know i didn't mention his three point shooting and how people were mocking his low precentage-not now
-like crowder,like butler -this kid will practice till he is more than competent shooter
Yup, just like Rondo, Howard, Jordan, and Drummond will practice until they're competent free throw shooters. It's happening, book it :-D
The difference is Smart has shown to be a streaky shooter. He showed it last year and he has showed it this year. Rondo, Howard, Jordan and Drummond have never been streaky free throw shooters they have always just been bad.

Smart is shooting 38% from 3 for the last 15 games. Last year he had shot around 40% for months at a time. He's not a bad shooter, he just is inconsistent which is to be expected from a young player.
What?! Rondo had so many FT streaks when we thought he was turning it around that it's not even fun. Were you not paying attention? You should check his 2008-9 breakdowns for an illustrative example -- multiple months of ~55% FT shooting and multiple months of ~75% shooting.

Ironically, the problem with both Smart and Rondo is the same -- bad form. Smart brings the ball down and has a hitch in his shot. He's not quite as bad as Tony Allen, but is certainly suboptima.
I guess I don't remember his streaks, tp for looking it up. Even when rondo was on a hot streak he topped out at league average, when Smart gets hot he's a lot better than league average.

The problem for Smart imo is less with his form and more with his feet. When he squares up he knocks it down more often than not, but when he doesn't jump straight up and down he misses.

The difference between all the guys you listed and Smart is that Smart isn't a bad shooter. Smart shot around the league average last year and now is reverting to the mean which is last year's shooting percentage by getting hot. Where Jordan, Drummond, and Howard are all historically bad big men.

Smart was supposed to be an awful shooter but came into the league shooting around league average from 3 to start his career. Despite his poor start to the season people are making his shooting out to be a lot worse than it actually is.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:43:03 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:01 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Hopefully, at some point both Marcus and AB will get down to studying the guy with the best driving technique in the game, who just happens to be on their team, Isaiah Thomas. IT takes it into the body of the biggest, most intimidating players in the game, gives a subtle push to create space and freeze the defender, and consistently finishes in traffic.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Smart was supposed to be an awful shooter but came into the league shooting around league average from 3 to start his career. Despite his poor start to the season people are making his shooting out to be a lot worse than it actually is.
Smart shot 33% on the year. League average has historically been around 35% for several years now. He was extremely (I'd even say unsustainably) hot for a couple of months when he started getting minutes early on, and it was mostly downhill from there. He may turn out to be fine, but I think the need for work is real. He's just not very good right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
anybody else tired of marcus taking heat -hardwood houdini should pull a disappearing act-marcus can't even attend all star game and not drive and just take a few shots-marcus doesn't shine  but he sure has been shining in my eyes

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
anybody else tired of marcus taking heat -hardwood houdini should pull a disappearing act-marcus can't even attend all star game and not drive and just take a few shots-marcus doesn't shine  but he sure has been shining in my eyes

Yeah, I don't get all the hate for him.  It's like people don't understand that defense is half the game.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

Yeah, I don't get all the hate for him.  It's like people don't understand that defense is half the game.

In my opinion, Smart must be a top five defensive player in the whole league. If we didn't have him the last couple years, no way do we have such a good record. He cannot be replaced.

You said it. Defense is half the game. Marcus Smart dominates on defense which is half the game.

Despite his youth, he is not too bad on offense either. He is definitely improving on offense and is top notch on defense. He is a winner.