Author Topic: The key for Danny Ainge  (Read 1880 times)

The key for Danny Ainge
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:24 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
However it happened doesn't matter anymore but somehow Ainge has put together a group of players that play so well together that there are people including Ainge that are very hesitant to make any changes. so to move up that one step that most think must be made to make this team "elite" is very difficult. you could very well find the one piece you think is a perfect fit and this team might just implode. with all the talent and future draft picks Danny has, he might have painted himself in a corner.
My advice, proceed with caution, there ain't no rush!!!   

Re: The key for Danny Ainge
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:00:18 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I say, unless you get someone for free (like last year with IT) don't do anything.
We are not winning this year, no point to risk anything at the deadline.
Let this group do their best and deserve their outcome in this play off.
They are very entertaining and we are all proud of them.
Stick to move Lee and let Mickey have some garbage minutes.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:27:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I say, unless you get someone for free (like last year with IT) don't do anything.

And just make 8 picks in the draft?

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 05:43:50 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
we have to unload some of these picks regardless. I'd take a chance on a couple guys maybe that are shortterm to help us this year and keep the  nets pick.  just don't give up any of our current young assets.  id maybe give up lee and amir plus picks for a couple guys where we keep the nets pick and some future picks to do it again.  I'm not a fan of giving up any of our young guys though.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:24:59 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 06:25:42 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'm not a huge fan of getting horford though.  Best case would be to unload some of these picks for a young up and comer and get another young up and comer come draft time.  Go even younger.

If i were ainge id be offering multiple picks around seeing if we can get a guy like jabari or otehr guys like that.  Even still try for winslow or noel or players like that.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like to have Howard and I'd love to have Horford....but for 3 months?  Give up something like 2-#1's and 2 players?  NFW.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No declining old stars. Build through the draft and free agency.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Actually think this is dead wrong. Ainge appreciates chemistry -- sure -- but he's unemotional about making talent upgrades. He'll continue to make moves to improve this team, and has said as much.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

And just make 8 picks in the draft?

Well, there's this. And also, while this team looks very nice and likely could get out of the first round, if we made some upgrades like Horford and/or Howard, could we make it to the Conference Finals and maybe even give LeBron a run for his money?

Even if we lost, say 4-2, in the ECF, it'd still be a great marketing pitch to Durant that he could be the missing piece that gets the C's through the East to the Finals in '16-17.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I agree, No 3 month rentals.

But, if you have the chance to acquire a young center, or a young wing player for Lee, or free agent to be Sully, and a lower draft pick or two, DA should do it. Allow the young player to play and grow, while you hope for a free agent signing, or the drafting of a top college player using the Nets pick. 

There is such a thing as accumulating too many draft picks, soon you won't be able to see the forest through the tree's.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:48:10 AM by Rosco917 »

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Brad Stevens could probably make Horford into an All pro player and give us another guy besides Isaiah. But I'm still not giving up the farm for him.  He's a better option than Amir at center.  Or Sully at PF.  Howard is an upgrade too.  But Ainge needs to be careful what he's giving up for these guys.  We are already positioned to be in good position as it is.  I think Ainge is not stupid. It has nothing to do with having emotional attachment to players.  Howard and Horford are special players and only come along so often but both are replaceable players themselves and we have young big men who are growing. Neither guy is the end all be all. They have their flaws themselves.  I'm not saying we end up the hawks if we trade for Horford but we have to be really careful what we are giving up.  We could do much worse than either.  I'm not a huge fan of either though either. It is what it is. I'd be fine passing on both if the stars don't align.

Horford probably is going to take some time with us.  Giving him the max isn't out of the question either to do that but all the pieces would have to fit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:52:01 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

But, if you have the chance to acquire a young center, or a young wing player for Lee, or free agent to be Sully, and a lower draft pick or two, DA should do it. Allow him to grow, while you hope for a free agent signing, or the drafting of a top college player using the Nets pick. 

There is such a thing as accumulating too many draft picks, soon you won't be able to see the forest through the tree's.

IMO, if you have a chance to upgrade your team now with a rental of Howard/Horford proportion without mortgaging the future, then you go for it.  This team is already very good and looking like a team that could go a couple of rounds in the playoffs.  You add Howard to the mix and you have a strong contender to get to the conference finals. 

If you can do that at the cost of Lee/Sullinger or whatever filler plus two first rounders that aren't Brooklyn picks, you go for it.   You can't use all these draft picks to begin with.   The roster doesn't really allow it.  Even if Howard or Horford proves to be a rental, the net loss for the Celtics long-term would be two first rounders that would most likely been in the teens or twenties.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

But, if you have the chance to acquire a young center, or a young wing player for Lee, or free agent to be Sully, and a lower draft pick or two, DA should do it. Allow him to grow, while you hope for a free agent signing, or the drafting of a top college player using the Nets pick. 

IMO, if you have a chance to upgrade your team now with a rental of Howard/Horford proportion without mortgaging the future, then you go for it.  This team is already very good and looking like a team that could go a couple of rounds in the playoffs.  You add Howard to the mix and you have a strong contender to get to the conference finals. 

If you can do that at the cost of Lee/Sullinger or whatever filler plus two first rounders that aren't Brooklyn picks, you go for it.   You can't use all these draft picks to begin with.   The roster doesn't really allow it.  Even if Howard or Horford proves to be a rental, the net loss for the Celtics long-term would be two first rounders that would most likely been in the teens or twenties.

I agree with you adding Howard or Horford would make for an exciting run in the playoffs, and heck of a lot of fun. Just as long as we don't part with a player or draft pick that we will be sorry for later.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Horford to me would be the more long term investment over Howard I think as I'm seeing it right now but who knows. Horford is younger.  He'd probably work really well with Stevens.   If we keep the nets pick.  Let Howard walk.  Getting both these guys seems like it's too costly right now.

Sullinger is still a talented young player. So is KO.  It's not that simple.  I'm hesitant giving up either.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I agree with the premise at the one, two and three spots.

At the four and five, I think we can do better with Horford. He can do everything as well or better than any of our current guys. It would be unfortunate to lose someone like KO, but Horford can do all those things too. He can shoot, put it on the floor and pass, only with more consistency and output. He's a better and more versatile defender.

Ainge won't do it unless Horford is open to a resign. Let's not forget that we are becoming a pretty appealing place to play.