Author Topic: Random TV watching prospect observations  (Read 1884 times)

Random TV watching prospect observations
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Had knee surgery (meniscus, should be quick recovery) today so I'll be watching more BB than usual for the next few weeks, thought I'd start a thread with what I'm seeing.  Please chime in and let me know what you see as well.

Watching Cal/Oregon.   Brown is as advertised, super athletic, but is struggling to put the ball in the baskiet.  Rabb has looked good, rebounding, getting out on the break.  Bosh seems like a reasonable comp, but that's a ceiling.

Boucher from Oregon is intriguing, leading the nation in shot blocking and has 3 point range.  6'10, but only 200 pounds.  Legs look like Manute Bol.  Moves well though.

Watched a little of Iowa/Indiana earlier.  Uthoff is another long skinny guy, shot blocker with a nice 3 point stroke and good athleticism.  Struggles some against physical players.  Classic 3 and D potential.  Bryant is a true big guy, and has been active on the boards, looked pretty good.  Yogi Farrell will have a career as a backup point.

Re: Random TV watching prospect observations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Today's games:

Purdue-Michigan, Levert hurt again.  Hammons is a true big body with good length and a good shooting touch.  Looks to lack the quickness to guard on the perimeter, which seems important for big guys these days.  Not a great motor.  Would be a decent guy to have on the bench for the occasional matchup with true big guys.

Providence-Georgetown, terrible, sloppy game.  Dunn certainly shows the flashes of talent that make him attractive, but disappears at times and makes a lot of mistakes.  Not impressed considering he's a Junior.

Oklahoma-KU, great game.  Hield had a tough first half, but a good second.  Missed a key free throw in the last seconds, and had a number of turnovers.  Has an amazing release and the size and athleticism to get his shot off.  Shot is reminiscent of Curry, but no where near the ball handler.  I think he's a lottery pick.  Apparently a great kid too.  Graham had a great game both scoring and defending on Hield.

Duke-Virginia, Ingram's on fire from 3, really showing all the tools.  Plays stronger than he looks.  I think Allen will struggle to get his shot off in the pros.

LSU-TAM, Simmons really does have all the tools except shooting.  Plays with a calm that reminds me of Duncan.  I like Quarterman as a second round pick.  Long guy playing the point with a good 3 point shot.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Ingram seems to be tiring down the stretch, missing good shots short.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Ingram seems to be tiring down the stretch, missing good shots short.

Yeah, he was dragging his feet toward the end.  What an exciting finish though.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Maryland-Wisconsin, Trimble was awful, something like 1-13 from the field and most not even close.  Stone is impressive, reminds a little of Monroe or Z-Bo, 80% foul shooter and already has a decent perimeter game.  Carter looks like an NBA bench 4, with range.  Sulamon reminded me of Avery Bradley, long arms and persistent on D, and a good 3 point shooter.  Nigel Hayes can shoot from 3, but I don't see much else there.

ISU-Texas, hard not to see a Jared Dudley like career for Niang.  He's just to good not to find some kind of niche.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Maryland-Wisconsin, Trimble was awful, something like 1-13 from the field and most not even close.  Stone is impressive, reminds a little of Monroe or Z-Bo, 80% foul shooter and already has a decent perimeter game.  Carter looks like an NBA bench 4, with range.  Sulamon reminded me of Avery Bradley, long arms and persistent on D, and a good 3 point shooter.  Nigel Hayes can shoot from 3, but I don't see much else there.

ISU-Texas, hard not to see a Jared Dudley like career for Niang.  He's just to good not to find some kind of niche.

I don't watch a lot of college ball so I appreciate the observations, way to make use of the downtime.

I'm kind of looking at diamond stone as a draft board riser.

If he has a good tournament I could see him climbing into the 6-10 spot.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Thanks, it was a fun way to pass the day.  Took a few times to do each post because I've got a good painkiller buzz on.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Watching MSU-Indiana now.  Valentine doesn't impress with his athleticism, but has a great knack for getting to rim and a good perimeter game.  Anunoby absolutely schooled him one on one on a fast break, and I noticed him losing a guy on the perimeter, so I'm wondering about his defense.   Anunoby has actually been impressive for Indiana, never heard of him before today.  Live body, maybe 6'8, active on the boards and had the sick crossover euro step to score on Valentine.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Valentine ends up with 30/13 assists/5 rebounds, 1 turnover, easy MSU win.  11-19 from the field, 5-8 from 3.  Great college basketball player.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for the ongoing prospect review and best of luck with your recovery.  hope it's speedier than advertised

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Thanks.  Doing better today, progress is good.

Watched ISU-Baylor last night.  Funny how random guys just pop up and impress.  Last night Motley for Baylor just dominated inside.  27 and 10.  Granted ISU is pretty undersized up front.  DE has him as a mid first in 2017 mock.

Nader for ISU had a really good game as well.  Can hit the 3 and put the ball on the floor.  Solid build, 6'6 with long wingspan.  Might struggle with quick sf at the next level.  Had something like 25 points.

Monte Morris is likely to be a late first/early second pick.  Very smooth pg, good finisher at the rim and with the floater in the lane.  Was hitting 3's well also.  Has a 7-1 Assist to turnover ratio in the toughest conference in the country.  Good size at 6'3.  Not explosive, but always seems to get where he wants.  Patient.