Author Topic: Bobby Marks (via the Vertical) on Potential Howard Destinations  (Read 8892 times)

Re: Bobby Marks (via the Vertical) on Potential Howard Destinations
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Also worth noting that Houston doesn't have a 1st round draft pick this year, and we have 3.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Two firsts for a guy who is essentially a half year rental?  No way!  If we were talking about a true difference making guy who deserves a max deal so his bird rights would matter, then yeah.  Howard isn't that guy anymore.  He brings some strengths, but also comes with liabilities.

I'd do one first, Amir, and a second with Jerebko and that's about it.

Amir is worth much more to us than the 24th pick in the draft. We have too many picks. We already have too much mid-late 1st talent at the end of the roster. Two non-Nets 1sts is worth the chance to make the Finals.

I wouldn't necessarily argue that Amir is worth more than an extra mid first round pick, although, I would probably argue that actually.  The reason I'd put Amir in there though is that he essentially plays the same spot/role as Amir.  He is an inside lane clogger who doesn't stretch the floor at all and plays defense.  So we don't need Amir and Howard.  That makes Amir of less value than that draft pick which we could still use to upgrade another position, like Korver maybe.

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I like the idea of a 3 team trade that sends Howard to Atlanta and Horford to us

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h7aegc9

We send Houston the BOS + MIN 2016
We send Atlanta the DAL 2016

you can remove Zeller and Holiday and the maths still works if you would rather not do that.

It's a better return for Houston than the proposed Bobby Marks deal with the C's. Atlanta get a star in return for Horford and Teague in Howard and get Harrell, a young prospect. Howard would likely need to agree to opt in to seal it.

Drinks are on me if we could pull off that deal. The only pick that is likely to be worth something is the Dallas one. Who knows if we'd resign either one, but the rest of this year would be a heck of a lot of fun and I wouldn't mind having the pole position on Horford.

That seems like a sufficient return on assets.

Mike

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Two firsts for a guy who is essentially a half year rental?  No way!  If we were talking about a true difference making guy who deserves a max deal so his bird rights would matter, then yeah.  Howard isn't that guy anymore.  He brings some strengths, but also comes with liabilities.

Amir is worth much more to us than the 24th pick in the draft. We have too many picks. We already have too much mid-late 1st talent at the end of the roster. Two non-Nets 1sts is worth the chance to make the Finals.

To me, Amir is less important if we bring in Howard, considering Amir's most prominent role for us right now is the rim protector. That said, let's say Sully is included in the deal, then I'd probably like to use Lee as the salary filler and keep Amir. Amir does a lot of little things well.

Basically, if your using Amir as the big salary piece, you take one of the picks off the table. Amir is a much more valuable player than David Lee. Even though both probably would help a post-Dwight rockets team, you almost have to give them something like the Minny pick just as value for taking Lee. Then probably a guy like Sully or Zeller and another 1st for Howard.

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
True stories:

-Dwight Howard recently followed 'beantown edits' on Twitter.
-Another random twitter guy that Dwight follows just posted 'Dwight Howard and the Celtics- coming together soon'.

It's a done deal  :P
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Also worth noting that Houston doesn't have a 1st round draft pick this year, and we have 3.
I think theirs is lottery protected. If they deal Dwight maybe they jump into the lottery.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I think it's lottery protected, but Morey is just like Ainge. He loves having assets. He knows picks are like currency, and he's the kind of guy who'd be interested in something like the Dallas pick or that Minny pick that turns into two early seconds.

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I like the idea of a 3 team trade that sends Howard to Atlanta and Horford to us

you can remove Zeller and Holiday and the maths still works if you would rather not do that.

It's a better return for Houston than the proposed Bobby Marks deal with the C's. Atlanta get a star in return for Horford and Teague in Howard and get Harrell, a young prospect. Howard would likely need to agree to opt in to seal it.

Hawks aren't doing this deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s-what-the-trade-market-for-dwight-howard-looks-like-011422278.html

Unsurprisingly, Marks suggests the Celtics are the best trade partner. Here's his hypothetical deal:

Howard and Montrezl Harrell for Lee, Jerebko, 2016 Dallas First, 2016 Boston First

This is the exact sort of deal I would be okay with for Howard. Minimal risk, high reward (Harrell would be an awesome throw in too).

If HOU were to accept this offer, I hope Ainge makes it.

It's basically what should be a late 1st for Harrell, and a middling 1st for Howard. Even if Howard bolts in free agency, I think I'd be willing to pay a middling 1st for Howard's services through the rest of this season.

With Howard, the Celtics ought to finish with a top-4 seed in the East, and ought to win a 1st round series. I think that's a necessary next step in the evolution of the roster, finding out who can contribute to a team that has championship aspirations. I remember a lot of summertime buzz around the Celtics as a FA destination, thanks to their showing vs. the Cavs in last year's playoffs. Build on that energy. Increase Boston's standing as an up-and-coming team.

Depending on the FA market for Howard, it's possible Boston might be able to recoup some value if he decides to sign elsewhere next offseason.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I haven't seen many howard trades sending him to boston i would like, but the one woj mentions i do.  the key piece, if howard walks,  would obviously be, the need to land free agents in the summer.  losing those two picks would necessitate this.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s-what-the-trade-market-for-dwight-howard-looks-like-011422278.html

Unsurprisingly, Marks suggests the Celtics are the best trade partner. Here's his hypothetical deal:

Howard and Montrezl Harrell for Lee, Jerebko, 2016 Dallas First, 2016 Boston First

This is the exact sort of deal I would be okay with for Howard. Minimal risk, high reward (Harrell would be an awesome throw in too).

If HOU were to accept this offer, I hope Ainge makes it.

It's basically what should be a late 1st for Harrell, and a middling 1st for Howard. Even if Howard bolts in free agency, I think I'd be willing to pay a middling 1st for Howard's services through the rest of this season.

With Howard, the Celtics ought to finish with a top-4 seed in the East, and ought to win a 1st round series. I think that's a necessary next step in the evolution of the roster, finding out who can contribute to a team that has championship aspirations. I remember a lot of summertime buzz around the Celtics as a FA destination, thanks to their showing vs. the Cavs in last year's playoffs. Build on that energy. Increase Boston's standing as an up-and-coming team.

Depending on the FA market for Howard, it's possible Boston might be able to recoup some value if he decides to sign elsewhere next offseason.
I think the Rockets would prefer trading D-Mo or Terrence Jones because they are both restricted free agents that they probably won't pay.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

How come? Rumours are they want a difference maker in return for Horford and Teague, Howard is a home town boy... There's the risk he doesn't re-sign but that's no different to any trade like this. If they are serious about changing their core this is the best offer they'll get

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

How come? Rumours are they want a difference maker in return for Horford and Teague, Howard is a home town boy... There's the risk he doesn't re-sign but that's no different to any trade like this. If they are serious about changing their core this is the best offer they'll get

They are moving Horford partially because they are afraid of him leaving without anything in return.

Why does it make sense to move him for a guy that has already chosen to leave two teams in his career?

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

To me, Amir is less important if we bring in Howard, considering Amir's most prominent role for us right now is the rim protector. That said, let's say Sully is included in the deal, then I'd probably like to use Lee as the salary filler and keep Amir. Amir does a lot of little things well.

Basically, if your using Amir as the big salary piece, you take one of the picks off the table. Amir is a much more valuable player than David Lee. Even though both probably would help a post-Dwight rockets team, you almost have to give them something like the Minny pick just as value for taking Lee. Then probably a guy like Sully or Zeller and another 1st for Howard.

Which is what I said originally.  One first, late, one second (doesn't matter which), Amir, and Jerebko if we need his salary.  I might up it if Howard agrees to an extension at less then max money.  I just don't see his long term value being that great with his diminished stats, injuries, and questionable will to win.  He isn't bringing us a championship this year.  So why are we giving up two firsts for him?  I'd rather just trade those picks into the future if they aren't of use to us now.

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

They are moving Horford partially because they are afraid of him leaving without anything in return.

Why does it make sense to move him for a guy that has already chosen to leave two teams in his career?

You'd need Howard to opt into to the extra year which would give them a year longer to convince Howard that he can lead that franchise. As said it's his home town. I think they'd have more chance at retaining him than most. Plus it's a smaller market which he seems to enjoy more