Author Topic: howard chatter Picking up  (Read 9204 times)

Re: howard chatter Picking up
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Hypothetical trade just posted to Yahoo the Vertical from  Bobby Marks - Saying the C's are the best fit because they won't have to break up their core:

Here is a look at a hypothetical trade that could work for both teams:

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko
 2016 Boston first-round pick
 2016 Dallas first-round pick

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

who's Bobby Marks --> what credibility/insights does he have where this quality of offer would be considered realistic?

if this is possibility, I'd have a hard time believing Danny wouldn't make this deal even with DH looking for the max to resign.  Get DH for just this and if he can make a similar deal for Horford (who'd also likely want the max), that addresses his plans to add 2 max FAs this offseason.  say something like, Amir, Sully, Young/Rozier/Hunter, Memphis pick and Boston 2018 pick (or keep one of those in exchange for several second rounders).

With the backcourt we already have and Crowder at SF, we're in pretty good shape for a few years with those Brooklyn picks adding to our talent base.  Depending on who we get in this draft, preferably a good SF prospect with at least one available with the Brooklyn pick, we should be set for contention runs for several years.

Assuming traded players are Amir, Sully, Rozier, Jerebko
DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart
That's a roster that could make some noise in the East for at least a few years and that's without including the incoming Brooklyn picks.

Marks is a former Nets front office guy, for a couple decades -- most recently an Assistant GM role.  His role with Yahoo is not so much reporting on rumors as it is describing thought processes in NBA front offices based on rumors that are going around.

I frankly think he's off on the Howard proposal.  It does the team little good to deal from their position of least depth (Jerebko and Crowder's position) for someone at their spot of most depth.  Even if Howard would be an upgrade, the roster would be even more unbalanced, and that doesn't make sense if you're trading two first-round picks for a pending free agent.  Harrell is cute, but he won't fill Jerebko's void.  I'm not staying JJ is the cat's meow, but the team is playing well with the current lineup, and I don't think experimenting with the two-bigs lineup this late in the season is the way to go -- not at the cost of two firsts.

Maybe it would make more sense if the C's had a deal lined up for one of the three young bigs going in exchange for a 3/4 swing type, but otherwise color me shocked if Ainge would do that deal.

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hypothetical trade just posted to Yahoo the Vertical from  Bobby Marks - Saying the C's are the best fit because they won't have to break up their core:

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

who's Bobby Marks --> what credibility/insights does he have where this quality of offer would be considered realistic?

if this is possibility, I'd have a hard time believing Danny wouldn't make this deal even with DH looking for the max to resign.  Get DH for just this and if he can make a similar deal for Horford (who'd also likely want the max), that addresses his plans to add 2 max FAs this offseason.  say something like, Amir, Sully, Young/Rozier/Hunter, Memphis pick and Boston 2018 pick (or keep one of those in exchange for several second rounders).

With the backcourt we already have and Crowder at SF, we're in pretty good shape for a few years with those Brooklyn picks adding to our talent base.  Depending on who we get in this draft, preferably a good SF prospect with at least one available with the Brooklyn pick, we should be set for contention runs for several years.

DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart
That's a roster that could make some noise in the East for at least a few years and that's without including the incoming Brooklyn picks.
I agree with the Lee, two first, and Sully/JJ hypotheticals. The trade you are suggesting is a huge over pay. Howard could and is likely a rental as he will explore FA. Its his last contract after all. He may go to GS to try winning an easy one for all we know. You don't deal AJ, Sully and Rozier along with picks for a rental with the history of Howard.  A player who may go in any direction come FA.
completely agree it's an overpay if it's a rental.  would need some sort of agreement with DH that if offered the money he wants, he resigns with the C's.  that's the premise of my proposal. 

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
This is important he is not in the rumor reporting game he is merely stating as a former GM this is what he would do if he was Daryl Morey.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart

Marks is a former Nets front office guy, for a couple decades -- most recently an Assistant GM role.  His role with Yahoo is not so much reporting on rumors as it is describing thought processes in NBA front offices based on rumors that are going around.

I frankly think he's off on the Howard proposal.  It does the team little good to deal from their position of least depth (Jerebko and Crowder's position) for someone at their spot of most depth.  Even if Howard would be an upgrade, the roster would be even more unbalanced, and that doesn't make sense if you're trading two first-round picks for a pending free agent.  Harrell is cute, but he won't fill Jerebko's void.  I'm not staying JJ is the cat's meow, but the team is playing well with the current lineup, and I don't think experimenting with the two-bigs lineup this late in the season is the way to go -- not at the cost of two firsts.

Maybe it would make more sense if the C's had a deal lined up for one of the three young bigs going in exchange for a 3/4 swing type, but otherwise color me shocked if Ainge would do that deal.
thanks for the info on Marks -- hadn't heard of him.  sounds like at least a source that has some credibility as opposed to the usual wild-guessers out there

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think people are underestimating the potential value of a deep playoff run this year and with the East pretty wide open, a Howard or Horford pickup could not only get us to the ECF, it could also make it a competitive series.

We still likely can't win a title, but this could vault the C's into contender or borderline contender status in the minds of players around the league. That in itself has enormous value, especially combined wth the young core/picks, the coach, and ownership here.

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The team with the players and picks to get a deal done without touching the core would be the Boston Celtics. The Celtics have a treasure chest of draft picks and expiring contracts, something that would benefit the Rockets in the long run.
– via Yahoo! Sports

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
According to Chris Mannix of the Vertical, the asking price for Al Horford and Jeff Teague is "borderline ridiculous."

If it stays this way boston will try for howard

I guess I can understand that. So much of this stuff gets done at the last minute that, at this point, you might as well ask for the stars. I'm very curious as to what the asking price is now versus where the deal finally gets done (if one gets done, of course).

Mike

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think people are underestimating the potential value of a deep playoff run this year and with the East pretty wide open, a Howard or Horford pickup could not only get us to the ECF, it could also make it a competitive series.

We still likely can't win a title, but this could vault the C's into contender or borderline contender status in the minds of players around the league. That in itself has enormous value, especially combined wth the young core/picks, the coach, and ownership here.

I certainly hear the value of this, but I'm starting to lean away from A Howard deal. I don't think Howard puts us over the top in 2016 -- even if he'd improve our chances of giving CLE a run for their money -- and I don't care to resign Howard this summer.

Meanwhile, Howard is not well liked in the league -- he won't attract FAs to Boston.

Horford is a different story.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart

Instead of a 3/4 swing, maybe Ainge would target a 2/3 wing, hence the reports that Ainge is kicking the tires on Shabazz Muhammad.  The Heat are supposedly looking at Omri Casspi and the Celtics should be able to outbid them if Casspi is available.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
thanks for the info on Marks -- hadn't heard of him.  sounds like at least a source that has some credibility as opposed to the usual wild-guessers out there
He works with Wojo on The Vertical. You work with Wojo, you're legit in my eyes. Also, Yahoo doesn't exactly have too many wild guessers. That's not Bleacher Report or CSNNE.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart

Instead of a 3/4 swing, maybe Ainge would target a 2/3 wing, hence the reports that Ainge is kicking the tires on Shabazz Muhammad.  The Heat are supposedly looking at Omri Casspi and the Celtics should be able to outbid them if Casspi is available.

Maybe, but you're still left with one player who can fill that role, which would really cut down on the lineups Stevens can make.  Kicking the tires on Muhammad makes more sense if you need to give up a guard in a trade, or just because you like him more than James Young.

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Because 4 teams trade all the rage and always happen

Utah - Teague
HOU - Lee, Burke, BOS 16 1st, DAL 1st, PHI 16 2nd
ATL - Johnson, Sullinger
BOS - Horford, Howard

Other picks or players could be added if necessary, but I think those are reasonable trades for all 4 teams.

This can't be right?

ATL Trades Horford and Teague for Amir Johnson and Sullinger? or am i missing somthing?
I had Burks (the SG from Utah) in there, but must have accidentally deleted him out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

you absolutely do that deal

It's nice to know that Danny is in a position to trump pretty much anything another team offers, if he wants to.

I haven't been a big Howard guy but if that's all it takes to get him you have to do it IMO.  Adding Howard immediately puts you in the mix for ECF and Cleveland can implode at any time with that group.  I stated it earlier come next Friday I would be surprised if the C's didn't have one of Howard or Horford and I wouldn't be stunned if they got both....

I'm just trying to imagine how good we could be with Howard and Horford, without even giving up the 2016 Nets pick and I can't even believe that it's a possibility

I'm just trying to figure out how to work that. I'm probably not giving up the Brooklyn picks, so I'm looking at the Memphis pick. I don't think they fall out of the playoffs (protected 1-5, 15-30), so I'm guessing that it conveys next year (protected 1-5), making it likely a 2019 pick (protected 1-8) or 2020 (protected 1-6). Wonder if they would do it for KO, the Memphis pick and someone along the lines of Young or Hunter.

Hmm, let me think about that Brooklyn pick...If we had Howard on the above deal and could get Horford for the 2018 pick, I'll have to admit, I'm tempted. Those picks are like frequent flyer miles: You can hoard them so you never run out, but you risk a situation where there isn't a flight available when you want to use them.

Mike

The later Brooklyn picks are much more risky - I'd be very open to giving those up for any player who significantly improves the team.

Think about it - Joe Johnson expires next year, and Deron's contract has already been shipped out.  Thadeous Young is one one of the best contracts in the NBA (IMHO) at around $10M/year.  That leaves Lopez as the only big, unpleasant contract on the team...meaning when the cap goes up after this season they WILL have cap space.

Much as I hate to admit it, having Young and Lopez in your front line is probably a decent lure to free agents as well.  That's a legitimately strong (and still pretty young) core to build around.  Add a good PG in free agency and a couple of solid role players (Afflalo type guys) and that team could VERY quickly turn from the 3rd worst team in the league to a #8 seed.

I think the 2017 pick is probably going to be late in the 10-14 range, with the 2018 pick being around the 15-18 range.

IMHO those picks are both too high a risk to NOT cash them in if you can.  This year the Nets are crippled and can't do anything to improve, which is why that pick is solid and gold and practically untouchable. 

If trading the 2018 pick puts us in a position to get Howard AND Horford, I would be all over that. 

This team is strong at PG, strong at SF, and solid at SG.  Our positions needing upgrading the most are PF and C, where we really don't have a clear starting caliber player.  Adding Horford AND Howard would make us absolutely deadly.  Even Golden State would have their hands full with us.

Incredible, you have been able to figure out where the Brooklyn '17 and '18 picks will fall.

Would you handle my stock portfolio?

we have 3 brk picks, we are not giving up this years . I don't find it unreasonable to give up 2017 or 18 brk pick for a DPOY Candidate every year .  On Jan 18, he put up 36/26 vs Deandre Jordan . He is a lock for 15/10 and just about 2 blks every game .

People are really underrating Howard because of their hatred for him. He still has 3-5 yrs left of all-star DPOY type talent .

If the cost is only 1 of the brk picks(17 or 18) , I am all over this if I am Danny.

We all know how talented Howard is and can be.  The problem is he's gonna leave in two months.  Why give up anything of any value for an empty playoff run??
Greg

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Ainge would know if he would resign before making a deal. 2 real conversations here. A half season rental isn't worth much but a resigned Howard would be worth more. 5 years max is great for the first 2 years as he'd be prime and the cap is going way up. The problem is when the cap comes back down and we have 20 mil going to a 35 year old. That said, if he want to come here and resign we probably should go get him. Or sign him in the summer

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Ainge would know if he would resign before making a deal. 2 real conversations here. A half season rental isn't worth much but a resigned Howard would be worth more. 5 years max is great for the first 2 years as he'd be prime and the cap is going way up. The problem is when the cap comes back down and we have 20 mil going to a 35 year old. That said, if he want to come here and resign we probably should go get him. Or sign him in the summer

how would ainge know he would resign??  The Lakers thought he would when they traded for him and he bolted.

Its too late to work out an extension before a trade so we'd have to take Howard, a proven backstabber and liar, at his word.

good luck with that.
Greg