Author Topic: howard chatter Picking up  (Read 9180 times)

Re: howard chatter Picking up
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Hypothetical trade just posted to Yahoo the Vertical from  Bobby Marks - Saying the C's are the best fit because they won't have to break up their core:

Here is a look at a hypothetical trade that could work for both teams:

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko
 2016 Boston first-round pick
 2016 Dallas first-round pick

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

Why would Houston do this deal?

They can let Lee and Jerebko go after this season, giving them some cap space, and two additional firsts gives them more assets for other moves.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That clutchfans insider posted something interesting:

Originally Posted by cyberx  View Post
He didnt ask for a trade but Fegan told Morey he wants a max, so Dwight said, "If you arent going to give me a max this summer, send me to a team that will be able to this summer while keeping my bird rights"

Not verbatim.. But you get it. He is looking for a max pay day.

Dwight even said he will go back to ORL - ROX dont want T. Harris Contract.

If we get him, I hope it's as a last resort for Houston/Howard, after they've given up the hope of finding a team that both matches Morey's needs and Howard's desire to re-sign for the max, because there's no way we should re-sign Howard to a max contract. Rent him, and let him find some other team to make the mistake of giving him four years at the max...which he will find.

True...some team definitely will.

Though to be fair, he probably deserves it.  He's still probably a top 5 center, hard not to feel worthy of a max if you are him.

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

He didnt ask for a trade but Fegan told Morey he wants a max, so Dwight said, "If you arent going to give me a max this summer, send me to a team that will be able to this summer while keeping my bird rights"

If we get him, I hope it's as a last resort for Houston/Howard, after they've given up the hope of finding a team that both matches Morey's needs and Howard's desire to re-sign for the max, because there's no way we should re-sign Howard to a max contract. Rent him, and let him find some other team to make the mistake of giving him four years at the max...which he will find.

Though to be fair, he probably deserves it.  He's still probably a top 5 center, hard not to feel worthy of a max if you are him.

That's what ppl said about amare

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31

That's what ppl said about amare
I think is not the same Amare took both his knees reconstructed many times, the back surgery for Howard took away his pain, I take Howard even for a rental this year anytime, of course got to take him cheap.

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 08:49:08 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Because 4 teams trade all the rage and always happen

Utah - Teague
HOU - Lee, Burke, BOS 16 1st, DAL 1st, PHI 16 2nd
ATL - Johnson, Sullinger, Burks
BOS - Horford, Howard

Other picks or players could be added if necessary, but I think those are reasonable trades for all 4 teams.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:19:44 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
IF both Ainge and Howard/Fegan are willing to do a max deal, then the Bobby Marks deal makes a lot more sense than a BKN pick deal. HOU is having a lot of problems and it's far from clear that DH12 is the culprit. Harden's defense is been back to being awful and his offense was bad beginning the season coming off an injury. Still, he's an offensive force and he's under a reasonable contract whereas Howard is going to opt out to become a UFA and get a max contract.

I have mixed feelings on DH12. He's not the player he was, but he's still a double-double guy with elite defense. He'd be an almost perfect fit defensively short of D. Jordan and I do think he's matured some, but some of his earlier antics are still troublesome and if he did turn out to be a problem, it would be a huge one. High risk, high reward, but Danny' gets paid the big bucks to make decisions like this and in Danny I trust (at this point in his career as a GM).

Horford OTOH gives you gives you more offense and spacing, more minutes, fewer potential locker room issues, and no hack-a-Howard, but less defense and much less rebounding/put backs. Either of them will get maxed out. I'd probably prefer the safer Horford myself, but the current year player comparison of the two players from basketball-reference.com is below:

http://bkref.com/tiny/L48eK

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Hypothetical trade just posted to Yahoo the Vertical from  Bobby Marks - Saying the C's are the best fit because they won't have to break up their core:

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

you absolutely do that deal

It's nice to know that Danny is in a position to trump pretty much anything another team offers, if he wants to.

I haven't been a big Howard guy but if that's all it takes to get him you have to do it IMO.  Adding Howard immediately puts you in the mix for ECF and Cleveland can implode at any time with that group.  I stated it earlier come next Friday I would be surprised if the C's didn't have one of Howard or Horford and I wouldn't be stunned if they got both....

I'm just trying to imagine how good we could be with Howard and Horford, without even giving up the 2016 Nets pick and I can't even believe that it's a possibility

I'm just trying to figure out how to work that. I'm probably not giving up the Brooklyn picks, so I'm looking at the Memphis pick. I don't think they fall out of the playoffs (protected 1-5, 15-30), so I'm guessing that it conveys next year (protected 1-5), making it likely a 2019 pick (protected 1-8) or 2020 (protected 1-6). Wonder if they would do it for KO, the Memphis pick and someone along the lines of Young or Hunter.

Hmm, let me think about that Brooklyn pick...If we had Howard on the above deal and could get Horford for the 2018 pick, I'll have to admit, I'm tempted. Those picks are like frequent flyer miles: You can hoard them so you never run out, but you risk a situation where there isn't a flight available when you want to use them.

Mike

The later Brooklyn picks are much more risky - I'd be very open to giving those up for any player who significantly improves the team.

Think about it - Joe Johnson expires next year, and Deron's contract has already been shipped out.  Thadeous Young is one one of the best contracts in the NBA (IMHO) at around $10M/year.  That leaves Lopez as the only big, unpleasant contract on the team...meaning when the cap goes up after this season they WILL have cap space.

Much as I hate to admit it, having Young and Lopez in your front line is probably a decent lure to free agents as well.  That's a legitimately strong (and still pretty young) core to build around.  Add a good PG in free agency and a couple of solid role players (Afflalo type guys) and that team could VERY quickly turn from the 3rd worst team in the league to a #8 seed.

I think the 2017 pick is probably going to be late in the 10-14 range, with the 2018 pick being around the 15-18 range.

IMHO those picks are both too high a risk to NOT cash them in if you can.  This year the Nets are crippled and can't do anything to improve, which is why that pick is solid and gold and practically untouchable. 

If trading the 2018 pick puts us in a position to get Howard AND Horford, I would be all over that. 

This team is strong at PG, strong at SF, and solid at SG.  Our positions needing upgrading the most are PF and C, where we really don't have a clear starting caliber player.  Adding Horford AND Howard would make us absolutely deadly.  Even Golden State would have their hands full with us.

Incredible, you have been able to figure out where the Brooklyn '17 and '18 picks will fall.

Would you handle my stock portfolio?

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.  ::)

Mike

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 09:54:51 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
According to Chris Mannix of the Vertical, the asking price for Al Horford and Jeff Teague is "borderline ridiculous."

If it stays this way boston will try for howard

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

who's Bobby Marks --> what credibility/insights does he have where this quality of offer would be considered realistic?

if this is possibility, I'd have a hard time believing Danny wouldn't make this deal even with DH looking for the max to resign.  Get DH for just this and if he can make a similar deal for Horford (who'd also likely want the max), that addresses his plans to add 2 max FAs this offseason.  say something like, Amir, Sully, Young/Rozier/Hunter, Memphis pick and Boston 2018 pick (or keep one of those in exchange for several second rounders).

With the backcourt we already have and Crowder at SF, we're in pretty good shape for a few years with those Brooklyn picks adding to our talent base.  Depending on who we get in this draft, preferably a good SF prospect with at least one available with the Brooklyn pick, we should be set for contention runs for several years.

Assuming traded players are Amir, Sully, Rozier, Jerebko
DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart
That's a roster that could make some noise in the East for at least a few years and that's without including the incoming Brooklyn picks.

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

who's Bobby Marks --> what credibility/insights does he have where this quality of offer would be considered realistic?

He used to be the GM of the Nets. A former GM has a whole lot of credibility IMO
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
He is also now the "Front Office Insider" for the Vertical. He is credible and a great twitter follow imo he has some exceptional insights.

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

He used to be the GM of the Nets. A former GM has a whole lot of credibility IMO

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Houston receives
 David Lee
Jonas Jerebko

Boston receives
 Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

if this is possibility, I'd have a hard time believing Danny wouldn't make this deal even with DH looking for the max to resign.  Get DH for just this and if he can make a similar deal for Horford (who'd also likely want the max), that addresses his plans to add 2 max FAs this offseason.  say something like, Amir, Sully, Young/Rozier/Hunter, Memphis pick and Boston 2018 pick (or keep one of those in exchange for several second rounders).

With the backcourt we already have and Crowder at SF, we're in pretty good shape for a few years with those Brooklyn picks adding to our talent base.  Depending on who we get in this draft, preferably a good SF prospect with at least one available with the Brooklyn pick, we should be set for contention runs for several years.

Assuming traded players are Amir, Sully, Rozier, Jerebko
DH/Zeller
Horford/KO/Mickey
Crowder/Turner/Young
AB/Hunter
IT/Smart
That's a roster that could make some noise in the East for at least a few years and that's without including the incoming Brooklyn picks.
I agree with the Lee, two first, and Sully/JJ hypotheticals. The trade you are suggesting is a huge over pay. Howard could and is likely a rental as he will explore FA. Its his last contract after all. He may go to GS to try winning an easy one for all we know. You don't deal AJ, Sully and Rozier along with picks for a rental with the history of Howard.  A player who may go in any direction come FA.

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not that he should be taken as gospel or anything, but Marc Stein was on Sportscenter and said about the Howard trade:

- Houston tried to make a deal with Toronto but was turned down
- We're a team to watch for Howard (no shock there), with David Lee as the main salary component
- Very few teams are both interested and can make a trade work because of Howard's salary (again no shock)
- Houston would probably wind up making the deal for any team that puts a 1st on the table.

The last one's the startling one; the market for Howard would have to be pretty weak to get him for just a single 1st.  And I expect Houston would hold out til the last minute if that was all they could get, and they'd demand at least one decent player back.  Again who knows what the real situation is, but that was very interesting to hear.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Because 4 teams trade all the rage and always happen

Utah - Teague
HOU - Lee, Burke, BOS 16 1st, DAL 1st, PHI 16 2nd
ATL - Johnson, Sullinger
BOS - Horford, Howard

Other picks or players could be added if necessary, but I think those are reasonable trades for all 4 teams.

This can't be right?

ATL Trades Horford and Teague for Amir Johnson and Sullinger? or am i missing somthing?