Author Topic: Woj: Rockets have started contacting teams about trading Howard  (Read 5170 times)

Re: Woj: Rockets have started contacting teams about trading Howard
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Lots of time til next week....Houston will move Howard before Atl moves Horford
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm not ashamed to admit I've always had a soft spot for Dwight, and I'd like to acquire him, but the contract he's going to get terrifies me.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Would you trade for Howard if it was the same package Mannix mentioned for Horford?

(let's say Horford is no longer available)

I'm willing to give up more for Horford because I am more willing to give him the contract he would get on the open market.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Would rather have Horford than Howard but I've entirely accepted the idea of Dwight in Boston. He's an absolute impact player and FWIW sounds like the NBA is going to ban the hack a strategy.

Not trying to turn this thread into a hack a debate but its be good to know that purely from an entertainment perspective if we signed him, the next 5 years wouldnt be mired down by stop and go foul calls and boring free throw bricks.

Plus if we got Dwight, Detroit would suddenly become a great rival for the foreseeable future, especially if Van Gundy can convince Ryan Anderson to sign this offseason.

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
It occurs to me that a Horford for Howard trade is a destinct possibility.
Other pieces would need to be involved:
Horford + Teague for DH  works but it seems a bit of an overpay (even if it means bringing ATL's prodigal son home).

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Horford + Teague for DH  works but it seems a bit of an overpay (even if it means bringing ATL's prodigal son home).

Horford and Korver for Dwight works. But I'm not sure why Atlanta would do it.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Would you include the Nets picks if we can land both Howard and Horford? It would be a heck of a gamble, because they may both walk, but we could realistically go for Banner 18 this season.

Keep our current core, move whatever combos of Lee, Sully, KO, Amir, Jerebko plus picks needed, and add Horford and Howard to Smart, IT, Bradley, Crowder, Turner. We would be in great shape.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Would you include the Nets picks if we can land both Howard and Horford? It would be a heck of a gamble, because they may both walk, but we could realistically go for Banner 18 this season

No chance.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Horford and Korver for Dwight works. But I'm not sure why Atlanta would do it.
have Dwight opt in as a condition on the trade, then you might see Atlanta do it as Dwight is from there and such they would have a shot at keeping him (if they wanted to).

3 team trade
ATL - Howard, Exum
HOU - Horford, Burke, Holiday (filler)
UTA - Teague
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think our collective hate of Howard often overshadows the reality of his talent.  I can't stand that guy... but he still might be better than Horford at this point.   

Horford has to be a better fit offensively.  He hits free throws and has some 3-point range.  I imagine Boston would rather have him.

Also, I think with Howard there's a bigger risk of him bailing.  He's a little twinkledink who will probably try signing with Orlando this summer or something.   Horford seems like he has more character, more interest in winning, and probably far more leadership qualities.

I haven't been a fan of Dwight's behavior in the past but I have to say he's been the only Rockets player that consistently tries on the defensive end. His role is so marginalized in Houston (basically limited to rebounding Harden's bricks on the offensive side while doing everything on defense) that's it's really hard to tell whether it's diminished stats are due to lack of opportunities or a decline in his game. Depending on the package, I'd take a swing at him. If he brings his defensive commitment and pairs it with Brad Stevens' ability to get the most out of his players, the C's can be formidable.

have Dwight opt in as a condition on the trade, then you might see Atlanta do it as Dwight is from there and such they would have a shot at keeping him (if they wanted to).

He's 30, has a history of back issues, and the cap is set to spike. It really doesn't benefit him to opt in at this point. This will likely be the last major contract of his career - even if he doesn't get max money (which I don't think he will), he can still get a 3 or 4 year deal and get some security.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
He's 30, has a history of back issues, and the cap is set to spike. It really doesn't benefit him to opt in at this point. This will likely be the last major contract of his career - even if he doesn't get max money (which I don't think he will), he can still get a 3 or 4 year deal and get some security.

He's getting a max contract. Pretty much every team in the NBA will have max cap space. The only superstar free agent is Durant. The next level of free agents is Horford and Conley. No one better (e.g., LeBron, Derozan) will be changing teams. Only a handful of front offices will be using the max on a player who's actually worth it. One of the other remaining 25 or so front offices with a massive amount of cap space but nothing to spend it on will decide to give Howard the max.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I always ask.  Will the move make,the Celtics able,to beat the top five,teams in a series.

Ride the horses you have, we are loving up,  when a real race horse comes along then grab him.

Howard s game is,on the backside of its former self.

only if he is super cheap and wants,to,be,in Boston

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can Horford and Howard play together?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He's getting a max contract. Pretty much every team in the NBA will have max cap space. The only superstar free agent is Durant. The next level of free agents is Horford and Conley. No one better (e.g., LeBron, Derozan) will be changing teams. Only a handful of front offices will be using the max on a player who's actually worth it. One of the other remaining 25 or so front offices with a massive amount of cap space but nothing to spend it on will decide to give Howard the max.

I know teams can be irresponsible, but I don't think anyone is going to commit to paying Dwight max. Can you imagine having a 36 year old Dwight on your roster due upwards of $32 million? Yeesh. Seems like some execs are going to steer clear of that:

The landscape, though, could be rougher than Howard thinks. Asked by The Vertical if Howard would be a max or near-max player this summer, three league executives had the same response: no. “Three-years, $60 million,” an Eastern Conference general manager said. “I’m not going any higher than that.” Added a team personnel scout: “I don’t know that I’d make a serious offer. That back is always going to scare me.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dwight-howard-at-a-crossroads-yet-again-151824653.html
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Can Horford and Howard play together?

I think so. Horford has worked on expanding his range on offense. I don't think they'd clash there.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague