Author Topic: If we got Horford, what are the chances Durant might come here?  (Read 5509 times)

Re: If we got Horford, what are the chances Durant might come here?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If I'm Kevin, rather play with Westbrook than Horford + some rookie.

No reason what so ever for him to leave OKC.   

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

If OKC gets beat by Golden State 4-1 in the playoffs, I think he will strongly consider leaving.

Also OKC has consistently let players leave that could have helped win a championship. He'll know coming to the Celtics that they won't shed good players like OKC does.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:41 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

Please tell me how IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford and Smart equate to rookies?

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That might be his thinking, but it's not just Horford and some rookie.  It's Horford, IT, Bradley, Smart, Crowder, Olynyk, and one of the top picks in the draft along with one of the best coaches in the league.  Plus, we have the four young guys who can help with depth and Brooklyn's pick over the next two years which will be two more top prospects who can help keep the team going strong for years to come.  That's a great situation.

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:33 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'd be really surprised if KD ever even considers Boston.  30 teams are going to line themselves up to try and pitch to him.

As for Horford, found this site which discusses the pros and cons of acquiring him fairly well.  Nothing really earth shattering, just a decent read I think.

http://onionsanddimes.com/2016/02/11/celticstraderumors/

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

If OKC gets beat by Golden State 4-1 in the playoffs, I think he will strongly consider leaving.

Also OKC has consistently let players leave that could have helped win a championship. He'll know coming to the Celtics that they won't shed good players like OKC does.

Those are fair points for him to consider, no doubt.  But at the end of the day he won't find a better teamate than Westbrook. 

The two of them are both top 5 players in the league and they compliment one another.  You don't walk away from that. 

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Those are fair points for him to consider, no doubt.  But at the end of the day he won't find a better teamate than Westbrook. 

The two of them are both top 5 players in the league and they compliment one another.  You don't walk away from that.

I don't think they compliment each other all that great . Both are go to scorers , but we have seen many times in the past them clash heads on who should take over the game . Of course they compliment each other on some level because they are both top 10 talents .

I just think Brad would be able to free up Durant in a way he has never experienced in his career . He would be the clear alpha dog on his team , with elite defenders protecting the perimeter, and secondary scorers  .

If we can add Horford or Howard I think we are in the top 5 of teams he could sign with .

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Please tell me how IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford and Smart equate to rookies?

Would you rather trade the BKL pick or any one of our current players?   

That's what I mean.  If we expect that rookie to outshine guys already starting for us, the view from the outside still appears to be hinging on the BKL rookie to be a success.  We all love AB, Jae, & Smart -- but I suspect they aren't garnering a ton of respect in the L yet.   Maybe if we go ECF, but that's a huge longshot. 

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
About the same as they are without Horford.

You ever see Horford attracting premier free agents to Atlanta?  I think not. 

I don't believe Horford has nearly enough star power to attract big free agents.  I don't see him bringing any more than somebody like Paul Millsap, Kemba Walker, Serge Ibaka, etc. 

Those are all guys are good players, but not the type of players who will draw in Free Agent superstars.

If you go after Horford, then I think you need to do it based purely on what he adds to the team in terms of wins.  I think the impact on free agency would be really quite minimal.  Not saying it wouldn't help at all (Thomas and Horford is more appealing than just Thomas) but I doubt it would influence people much.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 03:23:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

And they still can't get past the Spurs or GSW in recent years, because the West is and will be brutal for the next 5 years of their prime.

If he goes out East, he'll only have to face one of those teams on the way to a championship, and having us here in the 3rd seed without much but some grit and balls and a great coach with max cap room is a promising sign.
If Durant goes somewhere, he knows he can attract other players. Hell he could even get Westbrook to Boston potentially. 'Come and dominate the East with Brad Stevens, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder and Bradley and we'll take on the best of the West at the end for all the peanuts'.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.