Author Topic: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)  (Read 6496 times)

Re: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
- Said the c's are absolutely interested in trading for Horford
- Denver might be our biggest competition to land Horfod
- They should trade for Horford now because everyone will have cap space in the off-season
- Trade would be something like KO or Sully, Lee , 2 1st rd picks (not brk)
- Says Horford is worth max because he is top 10 big man in league and can attract other fa's
- Not giving up Smart in Horford trade

WTH?  That's it?

That would be unreal if true.

Atlanta has very little leverage if they don't expect to resign Horford.  The only real shot they have at getting teams to bid against each other.  But with a 1/2 year til free agency teams aren't going to want to pay much unless they are confident Al will resign there.  It's a pretty nice buy-low opportunity.

At that cost & you're not giving up any of the BKN picks, why the heck not?  It's a gamble but it'd be a relatively low cost one.  We've been talking about asset consolidation for some time now.

It's only consolidation if Horford gets signed after this season.

I'm not all that confident I'm interested in doing that. I have a lot concerns about his staying power as star-level talent and his cost.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Too risky.
No trade unless he signs an extension.

and the Nuggets should be very worried about him leaving after his contract. i doubt he want to be a part of a lottery team. 

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
was just looking at the denver roster .

Don't see anyone outside faried that atl would want ( den wont trade galinari IMO)

so whats better

Faried and a future pick

or

Sully/ KO and 2 mid - late 1st rd picks

?

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't understand why Horford would stay in Denver.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't include Kelly.

I'd prefer not but I also wouldn't let him be the deal-breaker in this either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sully and two non Brooklyn firsts?  That would be fantastic if we can sign him.
That's a huge if and if that's not the case I'm out.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
- They should trade for Horford now because everyone will have cap space in the off-season
- Says Horford is worth max because he is top 10 big man in league and can attract other fa's

WTH?  That's it?

Atlanta has very little leverage if they don't expect to resign Horford.  The only real shot they have at getting teams to bid against each other.  But with a 1/2 year til free agency teams aren't going to want to pay much unless they are confident Al will resign there.  It's a pretty nice buy-low opportunity.

At that cost & you're not giving up any of the BKN picks, why the heck not?  It's a gamble but it'd be a relatively low cost one.  We've been talking about asset consolidation for some time now.

I'm not all that confident I'm interested in doing that. I have a lot concerns about his staying power as star-level talent and his cost.

Well, you're still consolidating stuff to bring him Horford to Boston in the first place regardless of whether or not he signs but it looks a heckuva lot better if he actually sticks around past the summer via him signing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

WTH?  That's it?

I agree with the concern, but I think if the deal gets made, it means we are planning to pay him and have likely already discussed it with his representation.  I think there's ~0 chance Danny risks breaking our momentum if he thinks there's even a modest chance Horford leaves this summer.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know - if you look at last year's Rondo trade, Dallas didn't give up two firsts. I would prefer one non-BKN first and the Minny 2nds. There is no guarantee we keep him at almost $30M / yr next year.

And no, I don't really think Horford is worth any more this year than Rondo was last. He is still very good, but he has declined slightly. It is not only the package we would have to put together, but whether or not we want to pay him $20M more per year than Sully.

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

So that he can finally play his preferred position of power forward?  Nine years into a career seems a little late to start, but Denver has actual centers to put him next to. 

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

So that he can finally play his preferred position of power forward?  Nine years into a career seems a little late to start, but Denver has actual centers to put him next to.
At age 29 he's not resigning in Denver because they are too far away from winning. I'm sure there are lots of much better teams that will allow him to play PF.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't know - if you look at last year's Rondo trade, Dallas didn't give up two firsts. I would prefer one non-BKN first and the Minny 2nds. There is no guarantee we keep him at almost $30M / yr next year.

And no, I don't really think Horford is worth any more this year than Rondo was last. He is still very good, but he has declined slightly. It is not only the package we would have to put together, but whether or not we want to pay him $20M more per year than Sully.

Rondo wasn't playing as well as Horford is right now as well.

I would also do the deal as laid out. 

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I also think if the rumors of Orlando being more interested in Teague are true, the Celtics have a better chance to land Horford. 

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Rondo wasn't playing as well as Horford is right now as well.

I would also do the deal as laid out.

Also, Crowder was a nice addition -- at this point easily more valuable than the 1st we got.