Author Topic: If you're Evan Turner....  (Read 2823 times)

Re: If you're Evan Turner....
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Turner has only been in the league for 5 years, which means he's only had his rookie deal and the one Ainge gave him, so he hasn't earned a big time NBA salary yet.

Given his experience here, though, I would guess a team would have to seriously outbid Ainge to get ET to leave.

Mike

i agree, this system as resurrected his career and allowed him to play his style and enjoy the game (something he obviously does).
I'd offer him Jae/ bradley money. parliament of equals and such.

What do you mean by "seriously" outbid? I expect that he will sign with the highest bidder (which may very well be us).

If Ainge offers him $8 mil a year and somebody else offers him $9 mil, I could see him coming back to Ainge and working out a deal that either matches it or gives him something else, like an extra year or an early opt out.  But if he's offered 4 years/$36 mil from Boston and 4 years/$48 mil from someone else, ET will be gone and no one should blame him for it.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the Celtics will offer him the most they can with his Early Bird rights.  That's an unknown number at this point, but my guess is it will be around $6.5 million in year 1 and $29 million over four years.  If they keep his cap hold of just under $4.5 million, they can go over the cap to sign him.

I don't think they'll offer more unless they strike out on the big names in free agency.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
The real question is do we really even need ET in the playoffs once everyones' minutes go up?

Thomas 36 / Smart 12
Bradley 24 / Smart 24
Crowder 30 / Bradley 12 / Jerebko 6
Sully 30 / Olynyk 12 / Crowder 6
Johnson 30 / Olynyk 18

8 man rotation (pretty typical) where everyone can shoot 3's.  Maybe splashes of Zeller or Turner if we're struggling?

Does Turner deserve those 6 minutes at SF over Jerebko?

Does his ball-handling make up for Jerebko's shooting/defense/rebounding?

Do we really need his ball-handling as long as we have at least 3-4 of our other 5 ball-handlers on the court at any given time (IT, Smart, Bradley, KO, Crowder)?  Thankfully, Sully, Johnson, and Jerebko aren't bad handlers in a pinch.

I know Turner has been great for us, but IT, Smart, Bradley, and Crowder have truly proven themselves as game-winners this year and should be given the appropriate minutes.  More importantly, we need to re-establish ourselves as a defense-first team, and we don't have the scoring talent to afford any lack of spacing offensively in the playoffs.

I'll take Turner over Jerekbo any day we'll just start there.  He's worth the minutes being a player for us in the playoff who can play 3 positions.  Also he's one of our best fourth quarter players we have, between scoring and ball handling.  Plus I believe he also has at least 2 game winning shots for us this season.

Even at SF, though?  Turner goes from a below average defender at the 1 or 2, to an easily bullied defender at the 3, to downright insignificant at the 4 if we're going small, or if he has to switch in the pick and roll.

Problem is, 96 minutes at the guard position isn't a lot for IT, Bradley, and Smart to share, let alone if you add Turner in.

Jerebko on the other hand, is a guy who has no problem switching onto any of the 5 positions, has a better TRB% and grabs more rebounds per minute than KO, let alone ET, and is an infinitely better shooter/floor spacer.  He's also the perfect glue guy who always keeps the ball moving quickly and to the right spot, while Turner tends to kill ball movement and let the ball stick in his hands.

ET is a huge benefit to a team when he gets it going, but in 6 spot minutes is that realistically going to happen?

Love Turner in end of game situations, but I'd always rather run a defensive unit of IT, Smart, Bradley, Crowder, insert big in the last 8 minutes (not to mention the extra spacing of those guys).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd give Turner ~10 million a year.

Sully ~12 million a year.

Zeller ~6 million a year.
I'd give 0 million to Sullinger and Zeller and package the cap hit to get a real NBA big.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think he'll be offered a nice contract by DA and give the C's a discount and stay.  He likes the team and the coach a lot, knows they helped turned his career around and knows no other team out there will let Evan be Evan.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would offer ET around 8 million. He is too inconsistent, which is why I wouldn't bother offering him +10 million. He's still not on that level yet.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'd give Turner ~10 million a year.

Sully ~12 million a year.

Zeller ~6 million a year.
I'd give 0 million to Sullinger and Zeller and package the cap hit to get a real NBA big.

Well obviously that's plan A if one wants to sign here.

Wouldn't let any of the 3 walk for nothing though.  I'd take them on at those salaries because they could be useful in making a trade work (would be valuable assets to a team at those prices).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale