Author Topic: If you're Evan Turner....  (Read 2836 times)

If you're Evan Turner....
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
You're having your most productive year.
You're a major player on a top 6 team.
You're actually beloved (for now) in an NBA city.
You're playing for a top 3 head coach.
You're surrounded by the perfect complimentary group of players for your weaknesses.

and you're a UFA this summer.

Obviously you're worth more to this team than your $3.5 mill salary. Would you take a home-town discount to stay in the best stretch of your career? How much do you think you're worth?

My thoughts: he should make as much as Jae and Avery. Someone needs to get paid with that cap space, and he's been too valuable.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: If you're Evan Turner....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I sure hope he stays...  I like his game, his ability to create his own shot, get into the paint and step up when we need a bucket.   

I do wish he had more range on jumper!  He is the man.... 
Diggles

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I sure hope he stays...  I like his game, his ability to create his own shot, get into the paint and step up when we need a bucket.   

DA has Decisions to be made. Hey hey but they are good problems to have.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'd give Turner ~10 million a year.

Sully ~12 million a year.

Zeller ~6 million a year.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

He is the old-man game reincarnate of Paul Pierce ... except he can't shoot a 3 to save his life.

Still worth $8mill to this team though.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Turner has only been in the league for 5 years, which means he's only had his rookie deal and the one Ainge gave him, so he hasn't earned a big time NBA salary yet.

Given his experience here, though, I would guess a team would have to seriously outbid Ainge to get ET to leave.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

He is the old-man game reincarnate of Paul Pierce ... except he can't shoot a 3 to save his life.

Still worth $8mill to this team though.

Yup.  Extremely rare to see a guy like Turner or Pierce who can get THAT open without any foot speed.  All footwork, IQ, and fades.
Philly:

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:53 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Turner has only been in the league for 5 years, which means he's only had his rookie deal and the one Ainge gave him, so he hasn't earned a big time NBA salary yet.

Given his experience here, though, I would guess a team would have to seriously outbid Ainge to get ET to leave.

Mike

i agree, this system as resurrected his career and allowed him to play his style and enjoy the game(something he obviously does).
I'd offer him Jae/ bradley money. parlement of equals and such.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Mike

i agree, this system as resurrected his career and allowed him to play his style and enjoy the game (something he obviously does).
I'd offer him Jae/ bradley money. parliament of equals and such.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Mike

i agree, this system as resurrected his career and allowed him to play his style and enjoy the game (something he obviously does).
I'd offer him Jae/ bradley money. parliament of equals and such.

What do you mean by "seriously" outbid? I expect that he will sign with the highest bidder (which may very well be us).

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is his best chance to cash in on his talent.  He needs to go towards the money.

Now if it is close, maybe a hometown discount.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd look for either

(a) A chance to join one of the top teams in a Sean Livingston / Jamal Crawford type role.   

Maybe replace Ginobili in San Antonio if Manu retires?  They already have Mills and Anderson, though.  OKC might let Waiters and Augustin walk, so there could be a chance there.

(b) A chance to cash in big ($10 million per year or more) on a mediocre team looking for guys who can handle the ball and score a bit.  Teams with playoff aspirations that might not be ready to hand the keys over to a young point guard full time, or one completely lacking a secondary ballhandler.

Atlanta (if they trade Teague), Detroit (if they lose Jennings), Memphis (if they lose Conley), Denver, or maybe Toronto (if they lose Derozan) all come to mind.

If neither of those scenarios presents itself, ET should try to re-sign with Boston.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
The real question is do we really even need ET in the playoffs once everyones' minutes go up?

Thomas 36 / Smart 12
Bradley 24 / Smart 24
Crowder 30 / Bradley 12 / Jerebko 6
Sully 30 / Olynyk 12 / Crowder 6
Johnson 30 / Olynyk 18

8 man rotation (pretty typical) where everyone can shoot 3's.  Maybe splashes of Zeller or Turner if we're struggling?

Does Turner deserve those 6 minutes at SF over Jerebko?

Does his ball-handling make up for Jerebko's shooting/defense/rebounding?

Do we really need his ball-handling as long as we have at least 3-4 of our other 5 ball-handlers on the court at any given time (IT, Smart, Bradley, KO, Crowder)?  Thankfully, Sully, Johnson, and Jerebko aren't bad handlers in a pinch.

I know Turner has been great for us, but IT, Smart, Bradley, and Crowder have truly proven themselves as game-winners this year and should be given the appropriate minutes.  More importantly, we need to re-establish ourselves as a defense-first team, and we don't have the scoring talent to afford any lack of spacing offensively in the playoffs.
Philly:

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 12:43:09 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Honestly I hope he stays.  I don't see him being a huge money maker else where, but he needs a pay raise for sure.  He's a great 7th man off the bench that plays 1-3 for us when we need him.  I say he's worth around 6 million a year.  I think he's sign a 3 year deal at 18 million.  He gets the job security, stays where he likes to play and would put him at 30 so he'd still be able to make a good money contract after the 3 years.   

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
The real question is do we really even need ET in the playoffs once everyones' minutes go up?

Thomas 36 / Smart 12
Bradley 24 / Smart 24
Crowder 30 / Bradley 12 / Jerebko 6
Sully 30 / Olynyk 12 / Crowder 6
Johnson 30 / Olynyk 18

8 man rotation (pretty typical) where everyone can shoot 3's.  Maybe splashes of Zeller or Turner if we're struggling?

Does Turner deserve those 6 minutes at SF over Jerebko?

Does his ball-handling make up for Jerebko's shooting/defense/rebounding?

Do we really need his ball-handling as long as we have at least 3-4 of our other 5 ball-handlers on the court at any given time (IT, Smart, Bradley, KO, Crowder)?  Thankfully, Sully, Johnson, and Jerebko aren't bad handlers in a pinch.

I know Turner has been great for us, but IT, Smart, Bradley, and Crowder have truly proven themselves as game-winners this year and should be given the appropriate minutes.  More importantly, we need to re-establish ourselves as a defense-first team, and we don't have the scoring talent to afford any lack of spacing offensively in the playoffs.

I'll take Turner over Jerekbo any day we'll just start there.  He's worth the minutes being a player for us in the playoff who can play 3 positions.  Also he's one of our best fourth quarter players we have, between scoring and ball handling.  Plus I believe he also has at least 2 game winning shots for us this season.