Author Topic: Turner is making a believer out of me!  (Read 3620 times)

Re: Turner is making a believer out of me!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hes Paul Pierce minus the jumper.

Unfortunately thats the difference between an all-time great and a nice player

He does have a good mid range jumper, but certainly not a 3.  I'd think, given his midrange game and good free throw percentage that there's a reasonable chance he develops a 3 point game.

chances are low.  He has a funny "snappy shot" .  Looks near automatic 15 ft from the basket.   The ball doesn't look good coming out of his hands when he shoots the 3 though.   almost like he is pushing the ball fwd vs nice rotation on the ball/nice arc

Look at the way AB shoots

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 11:55:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Definitely would love him sticking around.  In fact I'd be willing to offer him a similar contact to Crowder's personally (around $7M/year).

Turner still is a high risk player, and that means he is going to get those frustrating turnovers and bricked shots from time to time.  But it's gotten to the point where his good plays seem to outnumber his bad plays something like 10:1, and as long as that's the case he is a very valuable player.

Hell, even his defense has been pretty good lately.  Not Crowder / Bradley good of course, but he seems to be holding his own.

His versatility is the key point.  With the exception of three point shots, Turner can do ANYTHING out there.  Rebound, score, pass, handle the ball, defend - anything.  If that guy ever develops a passable three point shot, people might start seriously contemplating him being worth his draft position.

Thing is he is still young (25), and to my eyes he is still very clearly improving.  That suggests to me he might still have potential.  He's good enough right now to be a starter for many teams, I think...but his abundant energy makes him so perfectly suited to a 6th man role.   

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:53 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
ET got heart same as AB, I'm probably in a love-hate relationship with them!!

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:27 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
It's kinda a love-hate thing with ET for me. Some games he's the best player on the court in crunch time. Other games it's downright terrible. I'd love to keep him at a reasonable rate though; his positives seems to outweigh his negatives, especially when he plays within the system.

My only issue with keeping him is that it gives Smart less time on the ball. Turner is best with the ball in his hands, but we want Marcus to develop into a good PG too.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 06:11:06 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think we don't give Turner enough love as Celtics fans.

He has been a top 3 or 4 player on our team for the past 2 years and I think he's a huge part of the team.

He da best.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Turner has one ability we sorely lack outside of IT.  He can get the rim and break down his man one on one.   These two are the best we have on the team at it.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 08:34:27 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Definitely would love him sticking around.  In fact I'd be willing to offer him a similar contact to Crowder's personally (around $7M/year).

Ill throw in another mill for his priceless quotes and interviews. 

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This is a nice article from Zach Lowe on "journeymen all-stars" from 3 days ago. Some of the things he does like the 3 pointers and his TOs drive me nuts, but he has done a nice job with his mid-range game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14743788/who-nba-players-found-suddenly-relevant

Evan Turner, G, Boston Celtics: For most teams, there are segments of every game that are just about surviving -- scrounging for points until the star is ready to come back in, and manufacturing stops when mismatches shove you onto your heels. It's the NBA equivalent of plugging holes in a leaky dam.

Turner has done that as Boston's de facto backup point guard, keeping the offense afloat while Isaiah Thomas, the Celtics' only other reliable source of dribble penetration, takes his breathers. That is a demotion after Turner started most of last season, but if he's disappointed to be a backup, he hasn't shown it.

"We never heard one word," Boston coach Brad Stevens said. "He just wants to help the team. That's the most underrated thing about him: He loves basketball. He talks about it all the time. He watches high school games. Everyone likes basketball, but he lives and breathes it, and you never lose sleep over a guy like that."

Turner bricks a lot of pull-up jumpers, but he's slithering to the rim more often, and he can create a decent shot from scratch when the shot clock winds down. He's a good passer, though a bit turnover prone when he gets too cute threading no-chance fancy passes through tight quarters.

He loves to mosey around a pick, "snake" back in the other direction, and rise for a jumper -- or pull the ball out and exploit a bigger defender if the opponent switches. Turner has canned a tidy 44 percent of his long 2-point jumpers, a career best.

Turner has allowed Boston to ease Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart into more ballhandling duties without overextending them. Thomas can spot up for 3s, a less taxing job, when the Celtics pair him with Turner.

Turner has nearly abandoned the 3-pointer, and defenses ignore him when he doesn't have the ball. Boston schemes around that by pairing Turner with its spaciest big man combination -- Kelly Olynyk and Jonas Jerebko -- and inverting the floor for Turner bully-ball post-ups.

Turner settles for too many tough baseline turnarounds, but he can score over smaller defenders, and if opponents send help, he picks out open cutters.

Turner has worked his butt off to become a solid defender, and his ability to guard all three perimeter positions -- including big wings like Anthony -- gives Boston a handy versatility. The Celtics can hide Thomas in the most convenient spot, and everyone else can find their most comfortable matchup; Turner eats the leftovers. In transition, players can pick up the closest opponent without fretting about matchups.

Being pretty good at lots of skills is a skill in itself. It makes you a chameleon. When key players get hurt, teams don't have ready-made replacements who can mimic what those players do. You need guys who can fake it just enough, and Turner can fake it in lots of roles.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline wvcelticsfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
Don't we already have an Evan Turner thread

The more the merrier!

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
17-9-5 tonight. If he keeps putting up these great lines and finishes the year with something like 11-6-5 per night, can Turner be a dark horse 6th Man candidate?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
17-9-5 tonight. If he keeps putting up these great lines and finishes the year with something like 11-6-5 per night, can Turner be a dark horse 6th Man candidate?

And some people still want him to be traded because they hate him lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Team success seems to have a big impact on determining the winners of all these individual awards (ironically). 

If we continue to be as good as we have been so far this year, and manage to hold down a top 3 seed, then it wouldn't surprise me at all if Turner got some legit consideration as the 6MOTY. 

He's been amazing for us, and his ability to consistently carry that second unit has been critical/instrumental to our team success.

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think he is a keeper. looks like CBS likes him.
and good for him for stop shooting 3s.
Danny Attending his jersey being retire at Ohio State bodes well for ET as well. He is a perfect 7th player on a roster with his ability to go in for 3 positions if foul trouble occurs.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Evan Turner will be resigned by the Celtics. He is coming back. He is just too valuable to this team in so many ways not to have him on this team. It's too bad he can't hit a three point shot to save his life.