Author Topic: Turner is making a believer out of me!  (Read 3621 times)

Turner is making a believer out of me!
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »

Offline BostonBurbs

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have always thought that Turner, while at times effective, made stupid plays during critical moments.  A turnover here, another bad pass there...  Plus, whenever he would shoot a 3, I would yell at the TV, knowing it was not going in.

But, I have to admit his recent performances in the 4th quarters, and again in OT, have me thinking I want him to stay around.

What do you think?

Re: Turner is making a believer out of me!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Yeah, I agree, he is nails when it's crunchtime.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I still don't like him but I can't knock the year he has had this year. He has outperformed my expectations of him, regardless of how low those expectations were.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
He's better than his reputation on this site.  Not a star but a guy who can help you win games if put in the right situation.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I think he is a keeper. looks like CBS likes him.
and good for him for stop shooting 3s.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
He's really improved in his time here. He was on the fringes of the league before he came here, and now he's a solid role-player who a lot of teams would like to have. The defense he's played this year is what's most amazing to me though, he's become a plus defender with 1-3 versatility. I used to hate watching him, but I've come to appreciate his game and his abilities in certain situations. You can see why he was the #2 pick

I don't get how someone can shoot over 80% from the stripe and less than 20% from 3. It's crazy he's THAT bad from deep considering his mid-range game. If he ever became just a respectable 3 point shooter and could play off the ball some, he could be something special. Prob too late for that to happen though. Still like his place on this team, he's really made an impact this year. Someone said the other day he should get 6MOTY consideration.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
My only complaint about Turner is that he is sometimes careless with the ball - both dribbling and passing.  Other than that I love him.  I think he has played great for us and I hope DA can get him to re-sign to a long term team friendly contract.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He gets way too much crap from this board. He's been a terrific backup PG for the bench unit and for as long as he's been a Celtic he's been trustworthy in the clutch. He's a huge part of the success of this team.

The real question will be what he deserves to get paid this summer and by whom.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Turner has been terrific lately, no doubt about it.  The role he's currently filling is perfect for him.

I'm happy that he's redeemed himself in his time in Boston after the lowpoint he hit following his time with Indiana.

None of that changes my feeling he ought to be gone, since our best player is a point guard, our best prospect is a point guard, and we used a first round pick on a point guard last year.  Not to mention the million and a half young wings and picks we've got coming. 

Ultimately, I imagine the goal for this team will be that everybody in the rotation can succeed off the ball as well as on.  That leaves Turner out of the picture.  But whether he stays or goes, I'm happy for him, and I'll happily admit he's exceeded my expectations since he got here.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

Offline Johnny Mic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Turner has been terrific lately, no doubt about it.  The role he's currently filling is perfect for him.

Wholeheartedly agree on both points.  Nice to see why he went #2 in the draft.

I could see losing ET to free agency in a Tony Allen-esque scenario, wanting more minutes and more money than the Celtics are willing to give him -- but I would hope that playing for Brad Stevens is enough of an incentive for him to stay. 

Finding a ball handler with his length, creativity, mid-range game, and taste for contact in the paint will be hard to replace.  His court vision and reach make him a nightmare opponent teams PGs. He's overcome the early adversity of a stalled out career.  He performs well in the clutch. 

He could be part of what this team does for a long time.  I say pay him well and let him continue to evolve under Coach Stevens. 

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If Turner can be made to play and shoot within 15 feet of the bucket , he plays like a star.   

Other wise he gets destroyed out on the open battlefield or middle of the court .   Little guys pick him clean

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The dude steps up, I'll give him credit.  One thing I love about this team is how many key guys don't shrink from pressure and want to be out there making plays.  Turner's definitely in that bunch with IT, Crowder, Smart, etc.  Wish he had even a mediocre 3 pter though. 

Turner is one of those guys where he fills a valuable role, you just wish we had a better guy playing that role because his limitations can be really frustrating.  But we're better off for him being here, even if he's probably not a long-term piece. 

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The dude steps up, I'll give him credit.  One thing I love about this team is how many key guys don't shrink from pressure and want to be out there making plays.  Turner's definitely in that bunch with IT, Crowder, Smart, etc.  Wish he had even a mediocre 3 pter though. 

Turner is one of those guys where he fills a valuable role, you just wish we had a better guy playing that role because his limitations can be really frustrating.  But we're better off for him being here, even if he's probably not a long-term piece.

+1
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I could see losing ET to free agency in a Tony Allen-esque scenario, wanting more minutes and more money than the Celtics are willing to give him -- but I would hope that playing for Brad Stevens is enough of an incentive for him to stay. 

For ET's sake, I hope he doesn't expect a larger role elsewhere.  He could play a bigger role on a bad team -- he's shown that in the past -- but playing 20-25 minutes a night and using his funky skillset to succeed against bench players and tired starters is where he'll find the greatest success.  He can still occasionally have a big moment in crunch time in that role.

ET is turning into a sort of Jamal Crawford without an outside jumper, but who actually rebounds and plays defense.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Yeah, I agree, he is nails when it's crunchtime.

Yes, he is definitely a clutch gamer in the 4th Q, reminds me of #3 DJ in that regard.  DJ didn't have the best FG%, but I would love to know his FG% in the 4th quarter.  Do they have stats by quarter?