Author Topic: What the celtics really need  (Read 2037 times)

What the celtics really need
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
to do is absolutely nothing. 

C-Amir and Zeller are playing well.  Amir has been really solid as a vet and ZEller is coming into his own providing energy off the bench with his up tempo style.  Mickey can't even get time right now.  Amir is older and isn't going to last forever.  Mickey is young.

PF-KO and Sully are both guys with upside who are young. BOth have played well in spurts this year.  Both have upside.  Both compliment each other very well. Sully should be resigned.

SF-Crowder and Turner have been excellent. Crowder has probably been our most complete player this year. Turner makes things happen off the bench when no one else can. Turner may need to be resigned like Sully.

SG-Bradley is great. Keeps getting better each year and is the heart and soul of this team.  Has a nice contract and is signed long term.  Young and Rj are good young shooters who can't even get on the court yet mainly due to age and the fact our other guards are playing so well.

PG-Isaiah is an allstar and has been everything Ainge could have hoped.  Smart compliments him perfectly with his defense and is the future.  Rozier is like a cross between the two and is even younger.

We have a ton of  picks. I don't know why we need them. All these rumored deals I don't buy either.  We  are involved in anyone who comes available because we have picks and Lee's expiring deal.  We have to use these things but are a top 3 team in the East very young with a great coach and climbing. Ainge is going to have to get creative and find the right fits.  The thing is we already have the right fits.

Re: What the celtics really need
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:46 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I will boo Ainge if he falls into this line of thinking that we need to make a deal or get a star mindset this deadline and gives up what we are already building here.  I'm much more loyal to this current team than that.  I think every guy outside of Lee is an important part of this team.

Amir is a guy I might move or someone else if Ainge can really find something that makes us better longterm but even Amir is worth reupping this offseason as it stands.

Amir has been great.  People really have to nitpick to find anything wrong with this team.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:09 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

C-Amir and Zeller are playing well.  Amir has been really solid as a vet and ZEller is coming into his own providing energy off the bench with his up tempo style.  Mickey can't even get time right now.  Amir is older and isn't going to last forever.  Mickey is young.

PF-KO and Sully are both guys with upside who are young. BOth have played well in spurts this year.  Both have upside.  Both compliment each other very well. Sully should be resigned.

SF-Crowder and Turner have been excellent. Crowder has probably been our most complete player this year. Turner makes things happen off the bench when no one else can. Turner may need to be resigned like Sully.

SG-Bradley is great. Keeps getting better each year and is the heart and soul of this team.  Has a nice contract and is signed long term.  Young and Rj are good young shooters who can't even get on the court yet mainly due to age and the fact our other guards are playing so well.

PG-Isaiah is an allstar and has been everything Ainge could have hoped.  Smart compliments him perfectly with his defense and is the future.  Rozier is like a cross between the two and is even younger.

We have a ton of  picks. I don't know why we need them. All these rumored deals I don't buy either.  We  are involved in anyone who comes available because we have picks and Lee's expiring deal.  We have to use these things but are a top 3 team in the East very young with a great coach and climbing. Ainge is going to have to get creative and find the right fits.  The thing is we already have the right fits.

We need to strive to building a contending team, a team that could contend for a championship in the near future. 

First things first, Sully is the center on this team. he plays opposite the opposing teams center every game, other than when involved in some kind of a switch. He seldom plays power forward anymore because of his weight issues. I like Sully, but he is not a starting center or PF on a contending team. When and if you sign him, take for granted in the coming years, he'll certainly "thicken" as he ages, most player do. If you want to sign him for a team friendly contract, fine...but Sully is not a starting center on a contending team.   

Zeller is a backup center at best on a most teams, at most a luxury on a contending team.

KO on offense is playing well, still improving while stretching the floor, at the 4/5 position. I'm still not a fan of his push, pull, grab defense.

Crowder is solid, and still getting better, definitely a keeper and Turner is an acquired taste, mostly a positive force on this team. I don't understand why he is disliked by some. His ability to get you a basket when you need it, and play multiple positions is a positive.

Bradley is good, (Curry, are Butler, are great) he's a bit undersized, his handle, and passing are suspect. On a contending team, he would be a nice player off the bench.

IT is a special weapon on offense, he increases pace, and gets you needed baskets, starting or coming off the bench. IMO because of his limitations on D, coming off the bench is best.

Smart looks to be turning the corner, his D and effort are special, his O is improving. Mickey, Young, Rosier, RJ haven't played enough to make a decision on. We should be looking closely at them.

Should we make a deal at the trading deadline...IMO the spot we need improvement most is center, if we can get a young, defensive minded center that fits this team, for players, and draft picks that will most likely not be quality starters, we should pull the trigger.

We have a better chance of getting scoring, than getting a starting center in this years draft.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

This is the only part i disagree with. Horford over Sully would be a definitely upgrade.
I've already seen enough of Greg Monroe and Cousins dominating the post to see we need clear defensive improvement in this.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
how many threads have you started in the last week?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

We need to strive to building a contending team, a team that could contend for a championship in the near future. 

First things first, Sully is the center on this team. he plays opposite the opposing teams center every game, other than when involved in some kind of a switch. He seldom plays power forward anymore because of his weight issues. I like Sully, but he is not a starting center or PF on a contending team. When and if you sign him, take for granted in the coming years, he'll certainly "thicken" as he ages, most player do. If you want to sign him for a team friendly contract, fine...but Sully is not a starting center on a contending team.   

Zeller is a backup center at best on a most teams, at most a luxury on a contending team.

KO on offense is playing well, still improving while stretching the floor, at the 4/5 position. I'm still not a fan of his push, pull, grab defense.

Crowder is solid, and still getting better, definitely a keeper and Turner is an acquired taste, mostly a positive force on this team. I don't understand why he is disliked by some. His ability to get you a basket when you need it, and play multiple positions is a positive.

Bradley is good, (Curry, are Butler, are great) he's a bit undersized, his handle, and passing are suspect. On a contending team, he would be a nice player off the bench.

IT is a special weapon on offense, he increases pace, and gets you needed baskets, starting or coming off the bench. IMO because of his limitations on D, coming off the bench is best.

Smart looks to be turning the corner, his D and effort are special, his O is improving. Mickey, Young, Rosier, RJ haven't played enough to make a decision on. We should be looking closely at them.

Should we make a deal at the trading deadline...IMO the spot we need improvement most is center, if we can get a young, defensive minded center that fits this team, for players, and draft picks that will most likely not be quality starters, we should pull the trigger.

We have a better chance of getting scoring, than getting a starting center in this years draft.

I don't disagree with any of this but there are different ways to do this. Our team as it stands is striving to get better every day and that's what I like about it.  Talentwise yes we are somewhat limited. I also think Bradley can be a starter period but that  depends.  I don't think he is as good off the bench but he can do both.  He is kind of a tweener though.  The way this team is we really have to work to and strive to be as good as we are though. We can't take nights off and that's a good thing. 

I'd be somewhat upset if Ainge rushes it and kills that momentum.  Bradley might be that guy for all i know where we have a shakeup where we have to regather and start striving to get even better but I don't know.  Ainge is going to have to get creative somewhere ultimately.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The last thing the Celtics need to do is be complacent in terms of talent.

They need to get that higher level talent to push this team higher.

Now it doesn't have to happen at the deadline.  It would be nice if one or more of those types of players were available and the Celtics added them through good trades, but it is not likely to happen.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We have momentum on our side right now. Shake ups happen though. I just hope Ainge doesn't do anything stupid.  He probably won't.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
This is not at all aimed at the OP, but in general I find that some people think there's a conflict between competing this season and competing in the future. That's kind of true if you're gutting your pool of assets to trade for someone to put you over the top this season. But the thing you've got to consider is that if you can make a deep playoff run this year, it may lift the profile of the franchise and do wonders towards attracting superstar players.

Can you imagine the Celtics reaching the Eastern Conference Finals this year? Then they can come out to free agents with: "We're already one of the top teams in the league, we've got the bets young coach in the league, and we've got three straight lottery picks coming our way." The point is, what happens this year matters for the franchise going forward.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
one more thing...don't disrupt the heart on this team. The heart of this never quit group IS of championship quality. 

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I agree, but if we don't need the picks....why not try to trade our picks along with Zeller and/or Jerebko/Young/Hunter/Young/Lee for an all-star caliber big.

It's not like we can keep them without making a trade.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »

Offline andegram

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Just spitballing since i live in Sacramento and the Kings are imploding:
David Lee, Zeller, Brooklyn's first, for

Willie Cauley-Stein and Rudy Gay

Sac needs rebuild potential top 3 pick very enticing going into new building next year

Celts get another go to scorer and a very athletic defensive minded center for the next 8-10 years.

Whilst we are at it;

Amir, Olynyk RJ and picks for greg monroe.

If we want to set ourselves for a solid run the next few years:

monroe
crowder
Cauley-Stein
Bradley
Thomas

Gay
Turner
Smart
Sullinger
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:42:39 PM by andegram »