Author Topic: Mannix: Al Horford is a legitimate possibility for the Celtics.  (Read 7618 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
-Says he thinks Hoford is one of the guys Danny is legitimately excited about and is a legit possibility for the Celtics.

-Says don't expect anything to happen until Feb 18th and the deadline because ATL is still asking for way too much.

-Says Cousins is not being traded, called Sacto a 'dumpster fire'.

Summary on Green street
http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/10/report-celtics-danny-ainge-excited-about-possible-trade-for-al-horford/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

video on CSNNE
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/mannix-who-are-buyers-and-sellers-trade-deadline

from WEEI
With the NBA trade deadline residing just 10 days away, things are getting interesting, particularly when it comes to the Celtics.
Speaking on CSN New England, Chris Mannix suggested there might be some traction when it comes to the Celtics’ rumored interest in Atlanta forward Al Horford.

“I think Boston, Al Horford is a legitimate possibility for the Celtics,
Mannix said. “I think that is one of the guys across the league that Danny Ainge is the most excited about. He is a four man that would fit right into what Boston is trying to do.

“It would cost a lot of money to re-sign him in the offseason, but I think Boston is willing to play it, because they haven’€™t paid a lot of money for players in recent years.”

Horford, whose contract expires at the end of this season, is averaging 15.2 points and 6.9 rebounds per game. Mannix surmised that a potential deal wouldn’t get done until closer to the Feb. 18 trade deadline.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Mannix: Al Horford is a legitimate possibility for the Celtics.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:49:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I trust Mannix more than I trust A. Sherrod... but just barely. Looks like a lot of conjecture and rehashing old rumours.

Also, I am concerned about how Horford will hold up. This is the 4th consecutive year that his rebounds per 36 have gotten worse, and he's played less than 30 games in 2 of the last 4 seasons. He's a competent player and addresses a need, but isn't exactly a world beater and is getting up there in age. I'd like to have him but a wouldn't break the bank. Sullinger, Lee, and one or two mid-level first rounders.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
about to be 30.  ton of miles on those knees.   really,  what's that do?  get us number 2 or 3 in the east. 

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Ehh not worth the max and doubt he'd lure other FA here
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
about to be 30.  ton of miles on those knees.   really,  what's that do?  get us number 2 or 3 in the east.

Or #1.  Tough to speculate.  Always tough to get a legit NBA BIG though.  So if it's reasonable, you do that deal all day.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

we're 3rd in the east right now without him

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Horford does have a lot of miles on him.

At the same time, he's not especially reliant on athleticism, he's a skiller passer, he can face up, shoot, and back guys down.  Quality defender, sets good picks, great hands.  He's a really nice all-around big man. 

When I see that guys like Luis Scola, Zach Randolph, and David West are still very productive and useful in their mid-30s, I'm not too worried about Horford.

Celts shouldn't have too much trouble surrounding him with spry young leapers / finishers as he gets older, too, so they won't need him to dominate the glass or make highlight reel athletic plays.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
As long as it doesn't cost Marcus, Nets pick, or Crowder...

Then I'm in!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Could he guard Monroe?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Then I'm in!

How about Bradley, Celtics own 1st round pick, and Olynyk ?

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Then I'm in!
What about AB or KO or IT

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Then I'm in!

Agreed.  For a 29/30 year old with half a year left on his deal, I think the offer should be something like a pick-two of Sullinger / Young / Hunter / Mickey / Rozier plus the Celts' own pick this year, the Minnesota or Dallas pick, and Lee for salary filler.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Then I'm in!

Agreed.  For a 29/30 year old with half a year left on his deal, I think the offer should be something like a pick-two of Sullinger / Young / Hunter / Mickey / Rozier plus the Celts' own pick this year, the Minnesota or Dallas pick, and Lee for salary filler.

Two firsts seems like way too much for a half-year contract.  Though if we had a handshake contract agreement, or were willing to give him the Bird Rights max it might be worth it.

...though I see now you've got the Minny pick in there, which is very likely 2 2nds.  That might be better.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Obviously there's all sorts of combos that could theoretically work... (Lee + a pick, Sully + Amir + a pick, etc...)

Our offer shouldn't exceed the following:

Jerebko, Zeller, Sully, Young (or Hunter), the Dallas 1st and Boston's 1st for Horford

Why? 

Jerebko - 5 mil expiring.  If the plan is the sign another max guy this summer, Jerebko is gone.
Sully - Restricted free agent.  If the plan is to sign another max guy this summer, we'd renounce Sully
Zeller - restricted free agent.  If the plan is to sign another max guy this summer, we'd renounce Zeller
Young or Hunter - Throw them a prospect
Boston 1st and Dallas 1st - late lotto at best... not worth a ton.  We're also going to struggle to find roster spots for those picks and the rookie contracts eat into our ability to add another max guy.

Anything more than that, I'd be uncomfortable.  Horford would be a big get and really put us in position to go really hard at Durant this Summer, but Horford is also a 30 year old unrestricted free agent who is either going to end up bailing on us for nothing or forcing us to overpay him max money on a contract that gets progressively worse each year. 

If the Hawks want a haul, that's my offer.   They could keep Sully and Zeller if they want since they'd have the right to match any offer either gets in free agency.   

That's a lot more than what Boston got for Rondo prior to his free agency last year (Crowder, Wright, Nelson, Dallas 1st and 2nd). 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:05:33 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Horford does have a lot of miles on him.

At the same time, he's not especially reliant on athleticism, he's a skiller passer, he can face up, shoot, and back guys down.  Quality defender, sets good picks, great hands.  He's a really nice all-around big man. 

When I see that guys like Luis Scola, Zach Randolph, and David West are still very productive and useful in their mid-30s, I'm not too worried about Horford.

I agree.

For some reason I thought of Horace Grant. He played OK into his mid-30s. Similar in that he wasn't super-athletic. Borderline All-Star. Etc.

At the same time Horford projects over the next 3 years to be good, but not on the same level as any of our last Big Three. Those guys were all playing at All-NBA levels (And in Garnett's case, MVP and All-defense too).

So, with him and Thomas, and a few other pieces from this current team, I think you're still in need of one All-NBA player and another multi-time All-Star to be a real championship contender.

That said - if the price is low enough, do it. It won't make us worse even if he leaves - if there's one thing we can do, it's find replacement-level guys to replace our current replacement-level guys.