Author Topic: Sixers unlikely to deal a big until Summer 2016  (Read 1527 times)

Sixers unlikely to deal a big until Summer 2016
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/blogs/sports/sixers&id=368348781

[C]enters Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor have the biggest trade value on the team. As a result, teams have been calling about those two. However, the Sixers don't want to part ways with either until they know if Joel Embiid, a third center, will be healthy enough to play.

Embiid, the 2014 third overall draft pick, has yet to play because of right foot surgery in each of the past two summers.  So if the Sixers do trade one of their centers, it probably won't happen until this summer.

Probably for the best. Knowing the Sixers, they'd probably trade the wrong big, with Embiid forced to undergo yet another surgery next year.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Sixers unlikely to deal a big until Summer 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920

[C]enters Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor have the biggest trade value on the team. As a result, teams have been calling about those two. However, the Sixers don't want to part ways with either until they know if Joel Embiid, a third center, will be healthy enough to play.

Embiid, the 2014 third overall draft pick, has yet to play because of right foot surgery in each of the past two summers.  So if the Sixers do trade one of their centers, it probably won't happen until this summer.

Probably for the best. Knowing the Sixers, they'd probably trade the wrong big, with Embiid forced to undergo yet another surgery next year.

I don't see why waiting is going to be any better for them. It's been shown pretty obviously that Okafor and Noel can't play together, and with both of them being starting caliber 5's, they'll have to trade one eventually no matter what. Keeping them even longer is just going to hurt their stock even more as one of them will be playing out of position and hurting their numbers/trade value.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This is sensible. There's no rush to make a move. If they decide during the summer they want to trade someone, all those offers will still be there.

Maybe we'll acquire Horford soon, draft Ingram, and trade some future assetts for Noel in the summer. That'd be cool.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I don't see why waiting is going to be any better for them. It's been shown pretty obviously that Okafor and Noel can't play together, and with both of them being starting caliber 5's, they'll have to trade one eventually no matter what. Keeping them even longer is just going to hurt their stock even more as one of them will be playing out of position and hurting their numbers/trade value.

Right, but which one plays better with Embiid? The other one is the one you trade.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

except everyone knows this so I don't think their stock gets hurt at all.  No reason to trade one now, wait till the draft, that is when they will get the most value
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:01:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920

Right, but which one plays better with Embiid? The other one is the one you trade.

I'm under the impression that it's just going to be the same as the current two, i.e. neither of them will be able to play with Embiid. I think they'll ultimately have to trade two out of the three in order to have a good fit, because I just don't buy that Embiid will be able to play with either of them. I guess I see the point of waiting to see if Embiid works with either of them, but I just don't see it working.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the move for Philly is to wait until after the lottery happens, then try to trade Noel or Okafor to one of the teams with a top 5-8 pick that missed out on the top 2 or 3.  Try to get back a productive young player or two in addition to that team's top 5-8 pick.

Philly could then have as many as three picks in the top 5-8 slots, while keeping one of their nice young center prospects and adding one or two productive young players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the move for Philly is to wait until after the lottery happens, then try to trade Noel or Okafor to one of the teams with a top 5-8 pick that missed out on the top 2 or 3.  Try to get back a productive young player or two in addition to that team's top 5-8 pick.

Philly could then have as many as three picks in the top 5-8 slots, while keeping one of their nice young center prospects and adding one or two productive young players.
Yep.  I think the draft (or right before it) is when they will get the most value.  Like if Orlando is ready to move on from Harris, I could totally see Harris, Napier, and 10 (or whatever it is) for Okafor.  I think that would be a solid trade for both teams.  Philly could use a scoring wing like Harris, clearly could use a PG prospect like Napier, and still has 10 and Orlando can get a big scoring center to help balance out its roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think a lot falls on the draft process and scouting. If there are multiple bigs coming out that look promising it's probably best to deal your guys now before teams get a look at the prospects up close. I would have to rely on my scouting dep. to determine in the 2016 class of bigs will have an impact on Okafor and Noel's value.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

except everyone knows this so I don't think their stock gets hurt at all.  No reason to trade one now, wait till the draft, that is when they will get the most value

This is probably right. But, neither is going to fit well with Embiid anyway.

So while I'm sure they're not doing this, I wouldn't create a superficial rule about waiting 'til summer because you assume you may get more value then. They should be looking for a good deal for whichever they care to have least, no matter what the timing.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yep.  I think the draft (or right before it) is when they will get the most value.  Like if Orlando is ready to move on from Harris, I could totally see Harris, Napier, and 10 (or whatever it is) for Okafor.  I think that would be a solid trade for both teams.  Philly could use a scoring wing like Harris, clearly could use a PG prospect like Napier, and still has 10 and Orlando can get a big scoring center to help balance out its roster.

Or it could be something like Nets (#5), Avery Bradley, James Young for Okafor and filler
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yup.   As I've been saying... the Colangelo hire was partially intended to placate the rabblerousers.  I'm sure his opinion will matter a lot for future decisions, but nothing changes... tank until the offseason and deal with it then.   

The timing was mostly just to build the perception that they had changed course.  I guess trading for Ish Smith and signing Elton Brand were nice stop-gap moves, but they know that finishing with the worst record this season is their best move.

Fwiw, I've heard that they have inquired about trading for Teague or Schroeder. 

But yeah... pretty funny that the Colangelo hire was met with such hyperbolic "the league is stepping in!!... the tank is over!!" reactionary posts.  As expected, they are sticking to the same plan.

A competent GM can have this team in the playoffs pretty quickly. 

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 10:47:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I honestly don't expect either to be seriously on the table until summer 2017.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Or it could be something like Nets (#5), Avery Bradley, James Young for Okafor and filler

That Orlando trade makes a lot of sense for both sides. It'd likely require the Magic to move Vucevic eventually though.

Of the two I'd prefer to target Noel. Something like Nets (#5), Rozier, Young, Zeller/Sully

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
A competent GM can have this team in the playoffs pretty quickly.

As I recall, you agree on this -- Hinkie IS a very competent GM. Yes the losing is painful. But Philly's in a better place to build a good young team than most lottery teams due to Hinkie's moves. With Colanegelo on board (and his powerful relationships with agents and players) it should only add to this trajectory.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)