Author Topic: ESPN player rankings - add your complaints  (Read 1065 times)

ESPN player rankings - add your complaints
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
My three biggest complaints.

Shaq being ranked too low. I would put him top 5 or 6.

Bird being ranked too low. He should be top 5.

Lebron being ranked too high. Let him win another championship and prove his greatness before he's considered top 3 all time.

Re: ESPN player rankings - add your complaints
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Manu Ginobili ahead of Tracy McGrady and Alex English? No way.

Tony Parker at #58 is also way too high. He gets a lot of credit for having landed in the best possible situation for him with Dunan and Popovich but realistically, he's probably in the 80's.

Reggie Miller at #50 is too high. He's one of the 5 best shooters in the history of the league but he didn't do much else. I think that guy is overrated in most cases. Definitely here.

Rick Barry at #37 is too low. He's a top 25 talent, easily. I don't know if they're deducting points for his ABA days or because everyone seems to hate him or what but he should be higher.

Curry is not top 25 yet. He can definitely get there but he's gotta do it first.

Lebron isn't top 3 but I'd listen to arguments that he's anywhere from #5-10.

Bird is #2 on my list and having him anywhere outside the top 5 is ridiculous.

I've got Russell over Chamberlain, easily.

I will say, I think Pierce at #45 is just about right.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rick Barry at #37 is too low. He's a top 25 talent, easily. I don't know if they're deducting points for his ABA days or because everyone seems to hate him or what but he should be higher.
That one shocked me too.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nate Thurmond all the way down at 92 ticked me off right at the start of these rankings. He should be 40 places higher.

Pretty much all the present day players are too high as usual with ESPN.

Chris Paul at 29. What the hell? He hasn't even managed to make it to the Conference Finals yet and it's not like he hasn't had some very talented teams to go to work with.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Bird and Russell aren't top 5 this ranking isn't even worth discussing.  Straight garbage.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Heavy bias towards modern players, counting stats, and general name recognition in an ESPN slow burn listicle?   :o :o :o

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Nate Thurmond all the way down at 92 ticked me off right at the start of these rankings. He should be 40 places higher.

Chris Paul at 29. What the hell? He hasn't even managed to make it to the Conference Finals yet and it's not like he hasn't had some very talented teams to go to work with.

To be fair, he is 6th all time in playoff PER and that performance against the Spurs in game 7 was epic.  Don't think it's really fair to knock the guys playoff success when he has played for 2 of the least successful franchises in the league. 

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Lebron at 3... over Bird? Yeah this list reeks of ESPN

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If Bird and Russell aren't top 5 this ranking isn't even worth discussing.  Straight garbage.

Hard to argue with that.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

How many times have you heard people say that Chris Paul instantly makes any team he's on a contender?

To be fair, he is 6th all time in playoff PER and that performance against the Spurs in game 7 was epic.  Don't think it's really fair to knock the guys playoff success when he has played for 2 of the least successful franchises in the league.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

How many times have you heard people say that Chris Paul instantly makes any team he's on a contender?

About the same amount of times as John Stockton who is ranked several spots higher.  If you put Isiah Thomas or Steve Nash on the Hornets are they contenders? 

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

About the same amount of times as John Stockton who is ranked several spots higher.  If you put Isiah Thomas or Steve Nash on the Hornets are they contenders?
Steve Nash was my all time favorite player so I would say yes but I'm biased. Would need to trade Kemba for a 3 and D player tho.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

Steve Nash was my all time favorite player so I would say yes but I'm biased. Would need to trade Kemba for a 3 and D player tho.

Ha, fair enough.  That was just a ridiculous litmus test though.  Like how many players in NBA history could make this 76ers team a contender?  1,2,3?  Maybe 0.