Poll

Would you trade Marcus Smart for the unprotected 2016 Suns pick?

Yes
7 (15.2%)
No
39 (84.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?  (Read 11088 times)

Re: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ok.  So does anyone see the hypocrisy in 76% of fans saying they wouldn't trade Marcus Smart for the Suns unprotected pick (3rd best odds)...

... while the majority of fans seem to say they wouldn't trade the Nets unprotected pick (4th best odds) for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor (two prospects that would likely be seen as superior to Smart outside of a Boston-centric Forum). 

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter... since none of those trades would actually happen.  It's just interesting.  It's the epitome of homerism.
When you're trying to compare the value of a future assett (the pick) to flesh and blood player (Smart) there are a lot of variables I don't think you're accounting for. Trading Smart for a pick would mean the team taking a step backwards immediatley. Trading a pick for a player would, probably, have the opposite affect.

Which doesn't explain why fanbase is unwilling to move a risky pick for an elite prospect like Okafor or Jabari.

And yeah, I get it.  There's always going to be an element of homerism.  Smart looks improved recently.  He's our backup guard.  He's playing pretty well.  He still might have a bright future.   

Easy to overlook the faults of "our guy" while dismissing the value of arguably better prospects like Okafor/Jabari. 

It is pretty funny that the majority here thinks Smart is worth more than the Suns pick... but our Brooklyn pick is worth more than either Jabari or Okafor.   

Obviously, non-Celtic fans would have jabari and Okafor over smart while a Celtic forum will have Smart over Jabari and Okafor.   Either way, I personally believe all three prospects are worth more than either of those unknown draft picks.
It certainly does, because neither of those two would contribute to wining now. Both are horrendous defenders and would result in this team taking a step backwards.

And you're still trying to make this 1-to-1 comparison without taking into account the inherent differences of a player versus a future assett beyond bottom line value.
We haven't seen Jabari or Okafor play on the Boston Celtics yet.  We don't know how they'd play in Brad's system. 

Part of the dismissal of them is a misunderstanding of who they are as prospects and players.  If a fan doesn't understand how Jabari Parker could be utilized as an offensive weapon on this team, that's on the fan.  And if that same fan thinks we're better off rolling the dice on a pick that is has an 88.1% chance of not being Ben Simmons, that's on them as well.

Do you post here because acting smarter than the rest of us makes you feel good?
I don't know how I can "act smarter" than anyone else.  I just type stuff.  If a fan thinks it's smarter than anyone else, that's on the fan. 

None of us would waste time on this forum unless it entertained us in some way.  We could be watching re-runs of "Melissa & Joey" on Netflix.  They have all 30 episodes of Season 1 on there. 

I post here for the same reason anyone else does... because it's entertaining.

Your posts are dripping with "if you don't think this you are a stupid homer" "unbiased NBA fans all know this" "only homers think this".

It gets old. Why do you think so many people so frequently reply to your comments in non positive ways?

Seems to me if the majority of a team-centric forum is inherently homeristic and someone responds with non-homeristic views, you should expect nothing less than non-positive reactions from a percentage of those homeristic fans.   This is nothing new.  People here use to respond negatively when I suggested Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level and Rajon Rondo wasn't on Chris Paul's level.   It's part of the culture of any team-centric sports forum.

I'm sure if you were to go on a Hawks forum and drop some rational thoughts about Shroeder, or a Magic forum and drop some knowledge about Aaron Gordon's weaknesses, you're going to have a large percentage of fanboys on those forums react negatively.

So I am correct.

You go revel in that negative attention
You think my only reason for admitting Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level was because I liked "reveling in negative attention"?

I admitted Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level, because Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  I loved Paul Pierce.  I'm a Paul Pierce guy.  I named my cat after Paul Pierce.  Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  Bottom line.  If fans responded negatively to reality, that's on them.  I'm not going to apologize for having a pro-reality stance.

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I don't know how I can "act smarter" than anyone else.  I just type stuff.  If a fan thinks it's smarter than anyone else, that's on the fan. 

None of us would waste time on this forum unless it entertained us in some way.  We could be watching re-runs of "Melissa & Joey" on Netflix.  They have all 30 episodes of Season 1 on there. 

Except you're not entertaining. You spew nonsensical crap and even when you're demonstrably and factually incorrect you refuse to admit it. It's ****posting at it's worst.
the only person he entertains is himself.  he's what my mother used to call an 'instigator'.  someone who derives joy/pleasure/"entertainment" from stirring up arguments/conflicts by posting provocative comments.

until the site permits a feature allowing people to block posts from specific posters, the best way to frustrate him is to ignore every post he writes.  no angry commentary to his posts -->he's no longer entertained.

after all, remember, he's the same guy that posted with absolute confidence that the Nets were a playoff team this year despite everyone else saying the Nets were going to suck.  Then, as this season plays out and people call him out for that BS prediction, he proclaims he's not wrong because his prediction didn't account for Jarrett Jack and RHJ going down with injuries because, as he proclaims, if they were healthy the Nets would be in the playoffs (because that conveniently ignores the fact that even before those injuries the Nets still sucked).
Lol.   Your post entertained me.  I don't get why people are so upset about my "nets prediction" where I said "I think Brooklyn probably wins 35-40 if they stay healthy".   We're all rooting for the same thing. 

I think... probably... if...  Ya'll are silly.  If you want to be proud that Brooklyn stinks with 30 games left in the season, go for it.   I'd rather not buy my Ben Simmons jersey yet. 

That Brooklyn pick still makes me nervous.  If this thread proves anything... it's that the Brooklyn pick is worth less than our backup point guard.  Over 80% of fans here wouldn't trade Smart for a better pick.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:02:33 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
After that rebound, it's time to shut this thread down.  Shut it down!

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
After that rebound, it's time to shut this thread down.  Shut it down!

Yeah... I think Smart will remain the most valuable asset on this team until the lotto at the earliest.   How many guys in this draft will be better than him?

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not a chance

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ok.  So does anyone see the hypocrisy in 76% of fans saying they wouldn't trade Marcus Smart for the Suns unprotected pick (3rd best odds)...

... while the majority of fans seem to say they wouldn't trade the Nets unprotected pick (4th best odds) for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor (two prospects that would likely be seen as superior to Smart outside of a Boston-centric Forum). 

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter... since none of those trades would actually happen.  It's just interesting.  It's the epitome of homerism.
When you're trying to compare the value of a future assett (the pick) to flesh and blood player (Smart) there are a lot of variables I don't think you're accounting for. Trading Smart for a pick would mean the team taking a step backwards immediatley. Trading a pick for a player would, probably, have the opposite affect.

Which doesn't explain why fanbase is unwilling to move a risky pick for an elite prospect like Okafor or Jabari.

And yeah, I get it.  There's always going to be an element of homerism.  Smart looks improved recently.  He's our backup guard.  He's playing pretty well.  He still might have a bright future.   

Easy to overlook the faults of "our guy" while dismissing the value of arguably better prospects like Okafor/Jabari. 

It is pretty funny that the majority here thinks Smart is worth more than the Suns pick... but our Brooklyn pick is worth more than either Jabari or Okafor.   

Obviously, non-Celtic fans would have jabari and Okafor over smart while a Celtic forum will have Smart over Jabari and Okafor.   Either way, I personally believe all three prospects are worth more than either of those unknown draft picks.
It certainly does, because neither of those two would contribute to wining now. Both are horrendous defenders and would result in this team taking a step backwards.

And you're still trying to make this 1-to-1 comparison without taking into account the inherent differences of a player versus a future assett beyond bottom line value.
We haven't seen Jabari or Okafor play on the Boston Celtics yet.  We don't know how they'd play in Brad's system. 

Part of the dismissal of them is a misunderstanding of who they are as prospects and players.  If a fan doesn't understand how Jabari Parker could be utilized as an offensive weapon on this team, that's on the fan.  And if that same fan thinks we're better off rolling the dice on a pick that is has an 88.1% chance of not being Ben Simmons, that's on them as well.

Do you post here because acting smarter than the rest of us makes you feel good?

Your posts are dripping with "if you don't think this you are a stupid homer" "unbiased NBA fans all know this" "only homers think this".

It gets old. Why do you think so many people so frequently reply to your comments in non positive ways?

Seems to me if the majority of a team-centric forum is inherently homeristic and someone responds with non-homeristic views, you should expect nothing less than non-positive reactions from a percentage of those homeristic fans.   This is nothing new.  People here use to respond negatively when I suggested Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level and Rajon Rondo wasn't on Chris Paul's level.   It's part of the culture of any team-centric sports forum.

I'm sure if you were to go on a Hawks forum and drop some rational thoughts about Shroeder, or a Magic forum and drop some knowledge about Aaron Gordon's weaknesses, you're going to have a large percentage of fanboys on those forums react negatively.

So I am correct.

You think my only reason for admitting Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level was because I liked "reveling in negative attention"?

I admitted Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level, because Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  I loved Paul Pierce.  I'm a Paul Pierce guy.  I named my cat after Paul Pierce.  Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  Bottom line.  If fans responded negatively to reality, that's on them. I'm not going to apologize for having a pro-reality stance.
[/b]

If you don't see the problem with comments like this, well, I guess it explains a lot.

10/10 for the multiple replies.

I mean, repeatably referring to Smart as "our backup point guard" is gold.

But when Noel or Okafor or DeAngelo or Randle comes of the bench, you certainly don't refer to them as bench players.

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

So I am correct.

I admitted Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level, because Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  I loved Paul Pierce.  I'm a Paul Pierce guy.  I named my cat after Paul Pierce.  Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level.  Bottom line.  If fans responded negatively to reality, that's on them. I'm not going to apologize for having a pro-reality stance.
[/b]

If you don't see the problem with comments like this, well, I guess it explains a lot.

But when Noel or Okafor or DeAngelo or Randle comes of the bench, you certainly don't refer to them as bench players.
I'd still trade our backup point guard for the Lakers backup point guard.  I think Russell has a higher ceiling.

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would have to think about it very, very hard. 

If you get a pick in the top 5 you have a pretty reasonable chance of busting out with two crap players.  If you get two picks in the top 5, then you have a pretty strong chance that at least one of them is going to develop into a pretty good player.

Plus you also have two chances at pulling a pick in the top 2. 

It's a tough call, a really tough call.  Too hard to make...I will probably say yes by a whisker. 

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

So I am correct.

[/b]

To be fair, Smart is our backup PG.

That said, we are a #3 seed in the East with an All-Star starting PG and a very good 3+D veteran SG. That Smart hasn't been able to earn a consistent starting role as a 21 year old coming off numerous injuries is really no knock on him.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been able to earn that starting role since coming back from injury, which introduces two negative factors:

1) He has been often injured, which is what caused him to lose the starting spot to start with

2) He isn't a consistent enough outside shooter to take the starting SG spot away from Bradley, and that's a legit limitation of his game

I'm still high on Smart despite all this because I think has solid (not amazing, but solid) potential to develop into a good starting PG, and because I think he has the mentality of a winner. 

But as rare as guys like Smart are, superstars are even rarer.  Having that pick gives us a second (pretty strong) chance at getting a superstar. 

I would hate to lose Smart and then bust out on both picks, but if that happened I could still live with it.  But if I DIDN'T do the trade, the Celtics dropped to 6th, and the Suns pick fell top 2...then I'd be punching myself.

I think Smart is very good, but I don't think hes irreplaceable. If I had a 6 number dice in front of me, and somebody told me I could pick any two numbers on that dice...and if I get one of those numbers they would trade me Karl Anthony Towns for Smart...but if i don't get one of my numbers I have to give them Smart for nothing...I would roll the dice.  Two out of six is worth the risk.

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

So I am correct.

[/b]

I'd still trade our backup point guard for the Lakers backup point guard.  I think Russell has a higher ceiling.

Perhaps only if you consider offense, sure. But this is a two-way game, and Smart by far has more overall potential when you consider both sides of the ball and the concept of a two-way player. Plus, Smart has that "it" factor, and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time, e.g. the rebounds and possessions he's gained us the last several games. That's something I don't see with Russell.

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
no

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

So I am correct.

[/b]

Perhaps only if you consider offense, sure. But this is a two-way game, and Smart by far has more overall potential when you consider both sides of the ball and the concept of a two-way player. Plus, Smart has that "it" factor, and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time, e.g. the rebounds and possessions he's gained us the last several games. That's something I don't see with Russell.

Well, you see LarBrd only sees the positives in other teams players. He plays the "realistic" card, but he really just likes to dog on our team, while praising others (see his constant talk of Smart being "a bench player" and "a defensive role player").

I personally think it is because he likes the response he gets.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:55 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. sees

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

So I am correct.

[/b]

Well, you see LarBrd only sees the positives in other teams players. He plays the "realistic" card, but he really just likes to dog on our team, while praising others (see his constant talk of Smart being "a bench player" and "a defensive role player").

I personally think it is because he likes the response he gets.
Nah. I really like D'Angelo Russell.  I think he has a higher ceiling than Smart.  I like shooters.

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 12:12:04 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I view the Sun's pick as top-7, more likely the 3-7 range, so I try to ask myself this question in a different way, or ways:

is...
Marcus Smart >=Dragan Bender
Marcus Smart >=Kris Dunn   
Marcus Smart >=Buddy Hield
Marcus Smart >=Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart >=Skal Labissiere

And I almost get to yes on all of those guys, except I think Buddy Hield might be special. I know he's older but his game against LSU where he basically just kept them in the game was impressive. Add in that he's spent 4 years in college, by every metric, improving his game, to me, mean he's a worker, and not the one-year NBA audition tape so many guys are making these days.

So yeah, I do it but I don't feel great about it. I think Smart has a very bright future in the NBA. If he ever figures out the 3 point shot...watch out.

However, I cannot imagine the Suns making this trade.