Poll

Would you trade Marcus Smart for the unprotected 2016 Suns pick?

Yes
7 (15.2%)
No
39 (84.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?  (Read 11162 times)

Re: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Ok.  So does anyone see the hypocrisy in 76% of fans saying they wouldn't trade Marcus Smart for the Suns unprotected pick (3rd best odds)...

... while the majority of fans seem to say they wouldn't trade the Nets unprotected pick (4th best odds) for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor (two prospects that would likely be seen as superior to Smart outside of a Boston-centric Forum). 

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter... since none of those trades would actually happen.  It's just interesting.  It's the epitome of homerism.
When you're trying to compare the value of a future assett (the pick) to flesh and blood player (Smart) there are a lot of variables I don't think you're accounting for. Trading Smart for a pick would mean the team taking a step backwards immediatley. Trading a pick for a player would, probably, have the opposite affect.

Which doesn't explain why fanbase is unwilling to move a risky pick for an elite prospect like Okafor or Jabari.

And yeah, I get it.  There's always going to be an element of homerism.  Smart looks improved recently.  He's our backup guard.  He's playing pretty well.  He still might have a bright future.   

Easy to overlook the faults of "our guy" while dismissing the value of arguably better prospects like Okafor/Jabari. 

It is pretty funny that the majority here thinks Smart is worth more than the Suns pick... but our Brooklyn pick is worth more than either Jabari or Okafor.   

Obviously, non-Celtic fans would have jabari and Okafor over smart while a Celtic forum will have Smart over Jabari and Okafor.   Either way, I personally believe all three prospects are worth more than either of those unknown draft picks.
It certainly does, because neither of those two would contribute to wining now. Both are horrendous defenders and would result in this team taking a step backwards.

And you're still trying to make this 1-to-1 comparison without taking into account the inherent differences of a player versus a future assett beyond bottom line value.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ok.  So does anyone see the hypocrisy in 76% of fans saying they wouldn't trade Marcus Smart for the Suns unprotected pick (3rd best odds)...

... while the majority of fans seem to say they wouldn't trade the Nets unprotected pick (4th best odds) for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor (two prospects that would likely be seen as superior to Smart outside of a Boston-centric Forum). 

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter... since none of those trades would actually happen.  It's just interesting.  It's the epitome of homerism.
Your huge ego and "clearly I am right, and there are too many stupid fans here" attitude gets extraordinarily old.
It does get old.  Imagine how I feel?  It's annoying that I'm apparently one of the only people here that sees the blatant ridiculous hypocrisy in 80% of a fanbase saying Smart is worth more than the Suns pick while the majority of that same fanbase thinks a worse Brooklyn pick is worth more than a better prospect that Smart.   

Okafor > Smart
Jabari > Smart
Suns Pick > Brooklyn pick

And yet...

Smart > Suns pick     
Nets pick > Jabari/Okafor

That don't make no sense.  I get it on the first one... I think Smart is worth more than a risky pick projected top 5 in February.   But I don't get it on the second one.   Parker and Okafor are both worth more than that Brooklyn pick.

This post exemplifies what I am saying very well,

you are so wrapped up in your own ego, so totally convinced that you are right, and smarter than the other idiots here
Hey now.  Let's not call anyone names.  There's plenty of smart posters here.   

And I'm fully acknowledging that a team-centric forum will generally think their backup point guard is better than (insert other team's younger elite prospect).   I'm sure there's some Hawks fans out there who think Schroeder is better than Porzingus.  I wouldn't call those fans "idiots".  That's just part of fan culture.

And there's still a chance that Smart develops into a better player than Jabari Parker or Okafor.  You never know.   All these guys are young. 

But yeah... it's totally hypocritical to believe the Nets pick is more valuable than Okafor/Jabari while thinking Smart is more valuable than the Suns pick.    Doesn't matter either way, because none of those hypothetical trades would happen until the Summer.

I can not want to trade Smart for the Suns first rounder, and at the same time NOT trade our Nets pick for Jabari or Jahlil.

There is absolutely NOTHING hypocritical about that. Nothing.

That is only hypothetical is we assume YOU are right, and everything you say is truth.

Like I said, get over yourself. You are not smarter than anyone else here, and if you were even have as good at evaluating talent as you think you are, you would be in some NBA front office.

You are not always right. Repeat that to yourself a few times.

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

When you're trying to compare the value of a future assett (the pick) to flesh and blood player (Smart) there are a lot of variables I don't think you're accounting for. Trading Smart for a pick would mean the team taking a step backwards immediatley. Trading a pick for a player would, probably, have the opposite affect.

Which doesn't explain why fanbase is unwilling to move a risky pick for an elite prospect like Okafor or Jabari.

And yeah, I get it.  There's always going to be an element of homerism.  Smart looks improved recently.  He's our backup guard.  He's playing pretty well.  He still might have a bright future.   

Easy to overlook the faults of "our guy" while dismissing the value of arguably better prospects like Okafor/Jabari. 

It is pretty funny that the majority here thinks Smart is worth more than the Suns pick... but our Brooklyn pick is worth more than either Jabari or Okafor.   

Obviously, non-Celtic fans would have jabari and Okafor over smart while a Celtic forum will have Smart over Jabari and Okafor.   Either way, I personally believe all three prospects are worth more than either of those unknown draft picks.
It certainly does, because neither of those two would contribute to wining now. Both are horrendous defenders and would result in this team taking a step backwards.

And you're still trying to make this 1-to-1 comparison without taking into account the inherent differences of a player versus a future assett beyond bottom line value.
We haven't seen Jabari or Okafor play on the Boston Celtics yet.  We don't know how they'd play in Brad's system. 

Part of the dismissal of them is a misunderstanding of who they are as prospects and players.  If a fan doesn't understand how Jabari Parker could be utilized as an offensive weapon on this team, that's on the fan.  And if that same fan thinks we're better off rolling the dice on a pick that is has an 88.1% chance of not being Ben Simmons, that's on them as well. 

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

We haven't seen Jabari or Okafor play on the Boston Celtics yet.  We don't know how they'd play in Brad's system. 

Part of the dismissal of them is a misunderstanding of who they are as prospects and players.  If a fan doesn't understand how Jabari Parker could be utilized as an offensive weapon on this team, that's on the fan.  And if that same fan thinks we're better off rolling the dice on a pick that is has an 88.1% chance of not being Ben Simmons, that's on them as well.

Do you post here because acting smarter than the rest of us makes you feel good?

Seriously, what is your issue?

"if a fan doesn't understand"

What a joke.

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Do you post here because acting smarter than the rest of us makes you feel good?
I don't know how I can "act smarter" than anyone else.  I just type stuff.  If a fan thinks it's smarter than anyone else, that's on the fan. 

None of us would waste time on this forum unless it entertained us in some way.  We could be watching re-runs of "Melissa & Joey" on Netflix.  They have all 30 episodes of Season 1 on there. 

I post here for the same reason anyone else does... because it's entertaining.

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I don't know how I can "act smarter" than anyone else.  I just type stuff.  If a fan thinks it's smarter than anyone else, that's on the fan. 

None of us would waste time on this forum unless it entertained us in some way.  We could be watching re-runs of "Melissa & Joey" on Netflix.  They have all 30 episodes of Season 1 on there. 

Your posts are dripping with "if you don't think this you are a stupid homer" "unbiased NBA fans all know this" "only homers think this".

It gets old. Why do you think so many people so frequently reply to your comments in non positive ways?

It is because you very much come across as someone who thinks they know more than anyone else here, and that most people here are just stupid homers who yell "go C's go".

In short your posts are chock full of "I know better than you" arrogance.

You don't have unfair opinions, but the way you present them is often quite disgusting.

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't trade Smart for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor.

Well that's an interesting wrinkle... the idea that Marcus Smart has more trade value than Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor.

As of right now, how they play on the floor and not what they MAY do, I'd say thats not really far fetched.

Smart is a defensive guy, Parker and Okafor are offensive guys, all different. But Smart does something they can't, and does if often, and thats changes the game with his defense. The team is different with him on the floor at times. Not many guys can change how things are going with there D, but he's done it many times. Parker and Okafor, haven't seem to be able to do that on the offensive end, not yet anyways.

I mean Smart got two, TWO offensive fouls on Lebron the other game. How man players in the league can say they've done that in a season, not only in one game.

And I would love to have Parker on this team, trade for PP, or get him in the off season to teach Parker how to use that body to get better shots off. But not if Smart is in the deal, mostly because Parkers D isn't the best, and I would want Smart to compensate for that.

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 08:49:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

lol So your argument is that since we don't know what they'd be like in Brad's system we can't actually know anything about them?

And you're wrong again. People don't misunderstand them as prospects. That's baseless. What's actually happening is that people understand those players just as well as you do but they've reached a different conclusion about how good they are. Happens all the time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ill be honest. I wouldnt trade Smart for the Suns pick because I think there is a 70% chance Smart will be better than whoever we pick

I dont want to trade Brooklyn picks because I believe there is a 23%  chance they will turn into an elite prospect.

Basically I dont want to take a risk right now.

We are in a great spot. We are 3rd in the conference, we could well reach the ECF with room for two max FAs and a top 5 pick. Why would I change the course we were on. How about we only make a trade that is a clear win for us. right?

FWIW I would be very tempted to trade the Nets pick for Parker or Okafor. I think I would do it.

I do not think Id trade Smart for Phoenix pick.

Does that logic make sense?

its not necessarily that Smart > Okafor/Parker and more that making a risky trade (as any trade involving rookies/sophomores and pre-lotto unprotected picks is) at a point where we are in a rosy position is very disconcerting to most fans and I would assume general managers as well.

That being said, for me there is definitely an element of homerism or maybe its just that I know I believe in Smart because Ive watched nearly every game is his career whereas Im not sure if I believe in Parker or Okafor.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:19:43 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Your posts are dripping with "if you don't think this you are a stupid homer" "unbiased NBA fans all know this" "only homers think this".

It gets old. Why do you think so many people so frequently reply to your comments in non positive ways?

Seems to me if the majority of a team-centric forum is inherently homeristic and someone responds with non-homeristic views, you should expect nothing less than non-positive reactions from a percentage of those homeristic fans.   This is nothing new.  People here use to respond negatively when I suggested Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level and Rajon Rondo wasn't on Chris Paul's level.   It's part of the culture of any team-centric sports forum.

I'm sure if you were to go on a Hawks forum and drop some rational thoughts about Shroeder, or a Magic forum and drop some knowledge about Aaron Gordon's weaknesses, you're going to have a large percentage of fanboys on those forums react negatively.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:25:06 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Except you're not entertaining. You spew nonsensical crap and even when you're demonstrably and factually incorrect you refuse to admit it. It's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.posting at it's worst.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Except you're not entertaining.
I never suggested I was posting to entertain you.  I'm here, because I already watched all 10.5 hours of "Melissa & Joey" on Netflix (twice) and they haven't released Season 2 yet.

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Based on the results of the poll so far, I guess we can all at least agree that Marcus Smart is still a more valuable trade asset than the Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Seems to me if the majority of a team-centric forum is inherently homeristic and someone responds with non-homeristic views, you should expect nothing less than non-positive reactions from a percentage of those homeristic fans.   This is nothing new.  People here use to respond negatively when I suggested Paul Pierce wasn't on LeBron's level and Rajon Rondo wasn't on Chris Paul's level.   It's part of the culture of any team-centric sports forum.

I'm sure if you were to go on a Hawks forum and drop some rational thoughts about Shroeder, or a Magic forum and drop some knowledge about Aaron Gordon's weaknesses, you're going to have a large percentage of fanboys on those forums react negatively.

So I am correct.

You go revel in that negative attention you get here by being a know-it-all who acts like he knows better than everyone else here.

Enjoy that bridge you stay under.

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Except you're not entertaining. You spew nonsensical crap and even when you're demonstrably and factually incorrect you refuse to admit it. It's ****posting at it's worst.
the only person he entertains is himself.  he's what my mother used to call an 'instigator'.  someone who derives joy/pleasure/"entertainment" from stirring up arguments/conflicts by posting provocative comments.

until the site permits a feature allowing people to block posts from specific posters, the best way to frustrate him is to ignore every post he writes.  no angry commentary to his posts -->he's no longer entertained.

after all, remember, he's the same guy that posted with absolute confidence that the Nets were a playoff team this year despite everyone else saying the Nets were going to suck.  Then, as this season plays out and people call him out for that BS prediction, he proclaims he's not wrong because his prediction didn't account for Jarrett Jack and RHJ going down with injuries because, as he proclaims, if they were healthy the Nets would be in the playoffs (because that conveniently ignores the fact that even before those injuries the Nets still sucked).