Poll

Would you trade Marcus Smart for the unprotected 2016 Suns pick?

Yes
7 (15.2%)
No
39 (84.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?  (Read 11086 times)

Re: Would you trade Smart for the 2016 Suns pick?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would but only because we have a horse in the race and adding another horse would give us two horses. And two horses is better than one horse if you want a better chance at winning the race.

Ask Rick Pitino how this strategy went back in '97.
TP --- beat me to it.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
No, Smart's a game changer.  Still just getting started.  We can only hope to draft a young talent as skilled as Smart.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't trade Smart for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor.

So Smart has more value in my eyes than either of those players do.

In terms of trading for the Suns pick. I tend to view it more as being a near guaranteed top 5 pick than gambling on the chance of getting a top two pick. I think more risk-taker traders would rate the unprotected pick higher than me whereas I would focus on the possible low outcomes. More risk adverse.
This.

Suns and Nets should be 3 & 4 in some order going into the lottery.  no guarantee either one jumps up to one of the top 2 slots which is where the true cream of this crop will be available.

Smart's pretty good right now and figures to get better.  He's no bust.  can't say the say for anyone coming out this year (sure, a few look like sure things in terms of being good solid players but nothing's really a sure thing).

Keep Smart and add a top prospect from this draft.  Not about to throw away proven asset for a gamble.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I also have trouble following the logic to perceived value as stated by the OP.  For example statements like we never should have traded for IT because it cost us Myles Turner are followed by I would never trade IT for Jabari Parker.  This follows closely the point the OP is trying to make that many would never trade the BKN pick for Okafor, wouldn't trade Smart for PHO #1 but would trade Smart for Okafor.

If you are really lucky with a pick like the one we have from BKN in 2016, you get a player like Okafor or Parker.  If you are unlucky, you get Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter, Dion Waiters, Thomas Robinson or even Joel Embiid (albeit he may still actually play).

Nobody is going to trade these picks until the lottery I predict.  Then we will see.  I am more of a bird in hand guy I guess because I would not trade Smart short of the #1 (which PHO would never trade) and  I would trade the BKN pick for Okafor.  Okafor and Smart have shown they can play in the NBA.  The picks might be Anthony Bennett or Dion Waiters.  The chance of getting the next Durant is so low it is not worth risking getting Antony Bennett.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I would but only because we have a horse in the race and adding another horse would give us two horses. And two horses is better than one horse if you want a better chance at winning the race.
The difference between 1 horse and 2 horses is the same as the difference between 0 horses and 1 horse.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
The difference between 1 horse and 2 horses is the same as the difference between 0 horses and 1 horse.
Yes very true. Unless the horse had the AIDS

Then you got zero horses to zero.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:39:10 PM by KeepRondo »

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Nope.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Can anyone recall when an unprotected first round pick, likely top 5, is traded in the middle of the season?

I can't.

I just don't think it is something that a team is going to agree to to do.  At a minimum they would want top 2 protection. Which really devalues it, given how the Suns seem very intent on losing all their remaining games!!

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Can anyone recall when an unprotected first round pick, likely top 5, is traded in the middle of the season?

I can't.

I just don't think it is something that a team is going to agree to to do.  At a minimum they would want top 2 protection. Which really devalues it, given how the Suns seem very intent on losing all their remaining games!!
I'd still probably trade Smart for the pick top 2 protected assuming it became unprotected next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 06:08:16 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
KeepSmart
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I can see the interest in getting two shots at Simmons or Ingram but I wouldn't trade Smart.

I think he's going to be an All Defensive player for many years  and eventually an All Star.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 06:34:47 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
I understand your interest in the topic, but the fact is these trades just don't really happen (unless I've missed one). While the risk / reward may be fun to talk about, no GM is willing to risk the egg on their face should they trade away what turns out to be the #1 pick.

Wasn't Kyrie drafted #1 overall using a pick that was traded in the season leading up to that draft?

Also I think Aldridge was drafted #2 overall under those same circumstances but I could be wrong.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I understand your interest in the topic, but the fact is these trades just don't really happen (unless I've missed one). While the risk / reward may be fun to talk about, no GM is willing to risk the egg on their face should they trade away what turns out to be the #1 pick.

Wasn't Kyrie drafted #1 overall using a pick that was traded in the season leading up to that draft?

Also I think Aldridge was drafted #2 overall under those same circumstances but I could be wrong.
The Cavs #1 pick in 2011 had the 8th best odds so thats a little different.

Aldridge was picked with a pick that had the 5th best odds so that is probably your best comparison.

Also that trade was made in October when it wasnt evident that the pick would be a top 5 pick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

The Cavs #1 pick in 2011 had the 8th best odds so thats a little different.

Aldridge was picked with a pick that had the 5th best odds so that is probably your best comparison.

Also that trade was made in October when it wasnt evident that the pick would be a top 5 pick.

Good call - I should have looked up final records for those seasons. 

Do you actually remember it not being evident that the Aldridge pick would be top 5 or are you just saying it probably was that way because it was traded in October?  Only bringing it up because even back in October people had expectations of Nets '16 being top 5.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ok.  So does anyone see the hypocrisy in 76% of fans saying they wouldn't trade Marcus Smart for the Suns unprotected pick (3rd best odds)...

... while the majority of fans seem to say they wouldn't trade the Nets unprotected pick (4th best odds) for Jabari Parker or Jahlil Okafor (two prospects that would likely be seen as superior to Smart outside of a Boston-centric Forum). 

I mean, ultimately it doesn't matter... since none of those trades would actually happen.  It's just interesting.  It's the epitome of homerism.