Author Topic: Would you trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 7930 times)

Re: Would you trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'd rather keep the Nets pick and draft Brandon Ingram. Then pair him who we should have picked in the last draft......Myles Turner(making the playoffs was SOOOOOOO WORTH IT).
Ingram-Turner combo

The way your thinking already you will be really disappointed if we don't get one of the top 2 picks

Going back to tragic incident with Bias , missing out on Duncan, then Durant when have the Celts ever been lucky with the lottery?

We have actually been blessed in the 6-11 spots

Don't want to be negative but unfortunately watch us get a 3-5 pick. A weird area of the 2016 draft

Then rather have Okafor.

Okafor ability to hold the ball would increase our 3 pt terror big time. On the defensive end he wouldn't be amazing but prob not any worse than Sully (plus better reach)

If you're making a trade based on past failures in the lottery & "luck", then you're a fool and shouldn't be the GM of a basketball team.

Well someone is sensitive today

I never said that was the only reason

I think the Nets will start playing better also

Nets owner has said they don't want to trade Lopez nor young

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd rather keep the Nets pick and draft Brandon Ingram. Then pair him who we should have picked in the last draft......Myles Turner(making the playoffs was SOOOOOOO WORTH IT).
Ingram-Turner combo

The way your thinking already you will be really disappointed if we don't get one of the top 2 picks

Going back to tragic incident with Bias , missing out on Duncan, then Durant when have the Celts ever been lucky with the lottery?

Don't want to be negative but unfortunately watch us get a 3-5 pick. A weird area of the 2016 draft

Then rather have Okafor.

Okafor ability to hold the ball would increase our 3 pt terror big time. On the defensive end he wouldn't be amazing but prob not any worse than Sully (plus better reach)

If you're making a trade based on past failures in the lottery & "luck", then you're a fool and shouldn't be the GM of a basketball team.

Well someone is sensitive today

I never said that was the only reason

I think the Nets will start playing better also

Nets owner has said they don't want to trade Lopez nor young

Not sensitive at all but if you're having trouble accepting criticism of your proposal, then I guess I could see where you're coming from there. 

You brought the past organizational lottery failures & luck into the equation, I'm simply stating that a GM that is making decisions based on those two factors is a fool and clearly isn't equipped to be a GM in the league.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Ingram-Turner combo

Then rather have Okafor.

Turner was the 11th pick. I'm not blind and I don't believe in banking on the top pick. But had we drafted Turner I believe we would have gutted the team after 25 games at most, maybe earlier. By gutting the team we could not only play Smart exclusively at pg but give development minutes to Young, RJ, and whoever we got in the trade for IT AB Sully etc. for hells sake lets say Jabari Parker.
Now we are also in contention, with our own pick, for a top pick. Now we have better chances of nabbing a top 2 or we may be able to package them the 2 picks.

I do admit that if we traded our valued players like IT AB Crowder early in the season we would not have gotten as much as I believe we could now.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Ingram-Turner combo

Then rather have Okafor.

Turner was the 11th pick. I'm not blind and I don't believe in banking on the top pick. But had we drafted Turner I believe we would have gutted the team after 25 games at most, maybe earlier. By gutting the team we could not only play Smart exclusively at pg but give development minutes to Young, RJ, and whoever we got in the trade for IT AB Sully etc. for hells sake lets say Jabari Parker.
Now we are also in contention, with our own pick, for a top pick. Now we have better chances of nabbing a top 2 or we may be able to package them the 2 picks.

I do admit that if we traded our valued players like IT AB Crowder early in the season we would not have gotten as much as I believe we could now.

I don't really get how you can want to gut a team that is third in the conference (we would even be 5th in the vaunted west with our record). We also have a a top 5-6 headed our way and no bad contracts on the way. How can we be so upset about any series of events that got us to this position. It is a great spot.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Nope. I do not consider J.Okafor a top 5 player in this draft.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

• Ray Allen
Ingram-Turner combo
dude, just get over Turner already.
Too many people believe it's because the deadline trade for IT that we lost out on the lottery. I think they justify/ rationalize our playoff appearance because we ended up with IT...................................NOT TRUE

Slammy, you know i put myself out there with turner....way out there, ended every post with "oh and draft Myles Turner". This was after I ended my posts with"oh and draft Karl Towns" but he climbed the charts and Turner was by far the best value at his pick(which I said on this blog a million times). People forget way too easily, I want CB to know what actually happened and why we were not selecting where we should have been and answering ?'s and helping ppl on this blog, as well as the vast majority who come here but do not post, get more informed on a few situations. A knowledgeable fan base is a dangerous one.

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nope. I do not consider J.Okafor a top 5 player in this draft.

Seriously?

Okafor is still a center and has a good future (could give you 20 and 12-15 consistently )

These position player(good ones)  are still considered rare finds new NBA or not

Add Okafor to the lineup right now and think about how much chaos that would cause the opposing teams (inside outside hell).  Kid is not perfect and more like an Al Jefferson than a Tim Duncan. But still , it would practically take this lineup to another level

Okafor, KO, Mickeyup front  trio would be sick!

I would be in heaven if we add Simmons but a piece like Okafor is a more essential piece. 

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
And 76ers I think would bite as Joel is getting healthier by the second

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ingram-Turner combo
A knowledgeable fan base is a dangerous one.

Elaborate?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Whats with this obsession with Turner?

He is not that great.  I will say unique because he can shoot and has some good size/reach for a center

But he still runs a little weird (maybe lead to future injuries?),  mediocre inside game. Still has ways to go in needing to add the necessary strength to battle pfs never mind NBA calibre centers

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »

• Ray Allen
Ingram-Turner combo

Then rather have Okafor.

I don't really get how you can want to gut a team that is third in the conference (we would even be 5th in the vaunted west with our record). We also have a a top 5-6 headed our way and no bad contracts on the way. How can we be so upset about any series of events that got us to this position. It is a great spot.
I get what you are saying butin a year or 2 we could be in a horrible situation. CBS is the only reason we are relevant. Has he ever even coached a superstar or a team of multiple stars that fit his system? Imagine that for a second.
1)our best players are either at or close to their max potential. So its not like every year we are going to make a jump. Too many equate age with potential, some guys are just role players/decent starters.
2)This summer we may lose or overpay guys. We have a lot of decisions to make.
3)Does anyone have superstar potential?
4)Our coach is better than our team
5)Many CB posters emulated the Hawks....hows that working?

Had Ainge done his job which is to do whats best for the team we would be in a better situation. During the deadline word was we were trading role players/starter quality players to make room for the younger guys to develop. We got IT but Ainge could not get a deal for Bass, ET. he also got offered picks for AB but they were in the 20's probably.
Anyways, he should have waived Bass, Gigi, and Jonas. Only 1 is still on our team and part of that is because of the contract he took and its possible value.

You know the whole point is to win as many championships as possible? We are only 1 ahead of the Lakers.....

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
(making the playoffs was SOOOOOOO WORTH IT).
Ingram-Turner combo
I don't understand people who raise hell about getting this or that young player... but when it comes to developing said players, we hear talk about how making the playoffs "was so worth it".

News flash: the only way to sort out who's a paper tiger and who's the real deal is to play games that matter. Otherwise you're the Philadelphia 76ers who have been "developing" players for half a decade now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »

• Ray Allen
Ingram-Turner combo

Elaborate?
For management and the top brass. Just like in the gov people/fans have so many resources to voice their opinions. These days fans are generally happy with the Celts/if not excited. But had Jordan accepted the deal then I think things would be dif. and DA would be in the hot-seat.

The offer to Jordan was DA's creation, so was our playoff appearance. He clearly underestimated CBS's leadership, accountability for players, and general fortitude to win. He also underestimated the Eastern conf. and made an insane offer for a pick we probably should have had or been right after. In the end we need to win every deal and select players where we honestly should be.

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Right now? No. If it lands outside the top 2 in May? Yes.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ingram-Turner combo

Elaborate?
For management and the top brass. Just like in the gov people/fans have so many resources to voice their opinions. These days fans are generally happy with the Celts/if not excited. But had Jordan accepted the deal then I think things would be dif. and DA would be in the hot-seat.

The offer to Jordan was DA's creation, so was our playoff appearance. He clearly underestimated CBS's leadership, accountability for players, and general fortitude to win. He also underestimated the Eastern conf. and made an insane offer for a pick we probably should have had or been right after. In the end we need to win every deal and select players where we honestly should be.

Disagree

Winslow would of flourished in the Celtic system

He is a better version of crowder (eventually)