Author Topic: Would you trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor?  (Read 7937 times)

Re: Would you trade the 2016 Nets pick for Okafor?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Today? Almost certainly I would

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just feed Okafor the ball down low. The shooters will be salivating for a pass

This team needs a legit inside presence badly.  Even Big Al would do wonders right about now

Offensively he's not a guy that is good in high PNR and then will clog things up inside for Thomas. If there is one player he would hurt the most is probably Isaiah. He also has a knack for holding the ball too long. He's also a very poor defender, which has been discussed plenty.

You got to see that a legit inside presence THAT can hold the ball to demand a double team would be big.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No. Still want my shot at Ingram and Simmons.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Trade idea

To 76ers: Lee, Sullinger, Zeller 2016 Nets 1st
To Celtics: Mcgee, Okafor, 2016 2nd round pick

Yay or nay?

nay, big freaking nay.

FYI, we already own their 2016 second round pick.  that's us sending them 3 guys that can immediately start for them AND a pick likely to be top 5 this year which allows them to add another top prospect.   

I'd hold on to that pick until after the lottery to see where we end up. 

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think it's pretty likely Okafor is better than whoever we get with the Brooklyn pick. Not sure about the other parts of the deal mentioned.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trade idea

Yay or nay?

nay, big freaking nay.

FYI, we already own their 2016 second round pick.  that's us sending them 3 guys that can immediately start for them AND a pick likely to be top 5 this year which allows them to add another top prospect.   

That's not the only problem with the proposal. McGee isn't even on their team.

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The trade in this thread is a lot more than Okafor for BKN 2016.  I wouldn't do that trade.  I might do the Okafor for BKN pick as the centerpieces of a trade depending on what the rest of the trade looked like.

For example I might do something like this

BKN 2016, Sullinger, Jerekbo, Rozier

for

Okafor, Lakers pick (if LA is better than BKN this year then they keep LA and receive Boston's 2016 1st (lotto protected) - this is an unlikely scenario as it would mean LA is 4th or later and BKN is worse than that)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:00:17 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'd rather keep the Nets pick and draft Brandon Ingram. Then pair him who we should have picked in the last draft......Myles Turner(making the playoffs was SOOOOOOO WORTH IT).
Ingram-Turner combo

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Trade idea

Yay or nay?

nay, big freaking nay.

That's not the only problem with the proposal. McGee isn't even on their team.
I know, I was a bit thrown by who Mcgee might be but the rest of the proposal was enough to reject this idea

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'd rather keep the Nets pick and draft Brandon Ingram. Then pair him who we should have picked in the last draft......Myles Turner(making the playoffs was SOOOOOOO WORTH IT).
Ingram-Turner combo
dude, just get over Turner already. 

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Only if it falls outside the top 2.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I agree the presented package muddies the waters some relative to the title question.  This could be simplified to:

Zeller + BKN 2016 Pick

for

Okafor

It is an interesting "bird in hand" type of question.  There is some value to getting a player with most of 1 season under his belt.  He has a track record against NBA talent to judge as opposed to college freshman with whom there will always be some question.  The bird in the bush in this case also has pretty high value.

I don't do this now.  Maybe after the lottery.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ingram-Turner combo

The way your thinking already you will be really disappointed if we don't get one of the top 2 picks

Going back to tragic incident with Bias , missing out on Duncan, then Durant when have the Celts ever been lucky with the lottery?

We have actually been blessed in the 6-11 spots

Don't want to be negative but unfortunately watch us get a 3-5 pick. A weird area of the 2016 draft

Then rather have Okafor.

Okafor ability to hold the ball would increase our 3 pt terror big time. On the defensive end he wouldn't be amazing but prob not any worse than Sully (plus better reach)

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ingram-Turner combo

The way your thinking already you will be really disappointed if we don't get one of the top 2 picks

Going back to tragic incident with Bias , missing out on Duncan, then Durant when have the Celts ever been lucky with the lottery?

We have actually been blessed in the 6-11 spots

Don't want to be negative but unfortunately watch us get a 3-5 pick. A weird area of the 2016 draft

Then rather have Okafor.

Okafor ability to hold the ball would increase our 3 pt terror big time. On the defensive end he wouldn't be amazing but prob not any worse than Sully (plus better reach)

If you're making a trade based on past failures in the lottery & "luck", then you're a fool and shouldn't be the GM of a basketball team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I know others feel differently, but I am really not a big fan of Okafor. I get that he puts up big numbers, but everything I have read has shown them to be a better team when he is not playing. I also do think there is some validity that the NBA is moving away from plodding centers that can't stretch the floor. I also found it pretty interesting that all analysis of this years rookie class I have seen ranked him somewhere below 5th. Is everyone wrong or trying to be provocative?

Also, who else is a plodding center on a successful team (or any team). Cousins can actually go out and hit the 3 and seems to be capable of guarding away from the rim. Drummond is certainly a good counter example, but I would like to see the Pistons have more team success before I hold him up as a good example. Players like Jordan and Drummond and Whiteside are all way more athletic than Okafor and, with the exception of Whiteside, much better defenders. Someone like Bogut even is a very very good passer which offsets his slow foot speed (not to mention worlds better on defensive). I can't really think of a single player that has the same weakness as Okafor that plays a key role on a successful team in the NBA.