Poll

Sac deal with Philly or Brooklyn deal with Boston

Sixers fleece Sacramento
0 (0%)
Boston get a king's ransom for Pierce and Garnett
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Which is the worse trade for the franchise?  (Read 756 times)

Which is the worse trade for the franchise?
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:50 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
So I was thinking earlier, we did pretty well out of the Brooklyn deal. Even if this is the only top 5 pick we get it's a very good trade for us.

But how about that Sacramento-Philadelphia trade!

Philly got Stauskas, Thompson, Landry, the rights to swap picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017, and a conditional pick top-10 protected in 2018 and unprotected in 2019!! All for the rights to Gudaitis and Mitrovic.

The idea was to free up cap space for Matthews to sign, he never seemed interested (you think they'd have asked him first..) and instead they signed Rondo and Belinelli.

So right now the Nets are in a funk to be polite and Sacramento have Boogie keeping them above water. But come summertime the Rondo may be gone and Boogie traded. And even if he's not, I don't see him resigning after 2017 unless a lot changes. So that final pick looks very nice now doesn't it Philly fans!

In the Brooklyn trade we gave up our fading chances of competing, giving that burden to the Nets. Philly got picks for a salary dump. Different situations but my question is who came out the bigger winner given the circumstances?

Re: Which is the worse trade for the franchise?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Boston's trading of Pierce and Garnett, was by far the most lopsided trade I can remember. So much so, that it's made other GM's think 3 times before dealing with Trader Dan.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Philly got Stauskas, Thompson, Landry, the rights to swap picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017, and a conditional pick top-10 protected in 2018 and unprotected in 2019!! All for the rights to Gudaitis and Mitrovic.

It's not the right to swap picks in 2016 and 2017, it's the right to swap picks in 2016 or 2017.  I think this is unlikely to be used either year.  Worst case scenario this year is that the Kings, at 9th worst currently, defy the odds and win the lotto and is forced to swap the 1st pick for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.  Even in this scenario they still end up with a much better draft pick than than they were supposed to have going in.

And while anything could happen between now and 2018, (like Cousins being traded), that top 10 protected pick could very well be outside of the of the top 10 in 2018.

The way you describe it, it sounds like 4 draft picks, but I think it's most likely going to end up being 1 in the 11-20 range in 2018.  And who knows how Gudaitis and Mitrovic will actually turn out.

Sure, I'd gladly take Philly's position in this whole thing, but it's probably going to end up being only one mid first round pick.  Celtics have several of these that apparently aren't worth as much as we wish they were.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

It's not the right to swap picks in 2016 and 2017, it's the right to swap picks in 2016 or 2017.  I think this is unlikely to be used either year.  Worst case scenario this year is that the Kings, at 9th worst currently, defy the odds and win the lotto and is forced to swap the 1st pick for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.  Even in this scenario they still end up with a much better draft pick than than they were supposed to have going in.

And while anything could happen between now and 2018, (like Cousins being traded), that top 10 protected pick could very well be outside of the of the top 10 in 2018.

The way you describe it, it sounds like 4 draft picks, but I think it's most likely going to end up being 1 in the 11-20 range in 2018.  And who knows how Gudaitis and Mitrovic will actually turn out.

Sure, I'd gladly take Philly's position in this whole thing, but it's probably going to end up being only one mid first round pick.  Celtics have several of these that apparently aren't worth as much as we wish they were.

I believe it is the right to swap in both years. The only condition is if the pick is not conveyed to the Bulls this year then the 2017 swap is 11-30 protected. If the Kings picked in the top 10 for the next 2 years then the obligations to the Bulls are extinguished. Furthermore, if the Kings pick goes to the Bulls in 2017 then Philly will receive the 2019 pick unprotected.

And that is precisely why Philly asked for the pick swaps. To give them an extra chance at the Number 1 pick. So even if it doesn't end up being swapped, the value is in the percentages.

But yes it likely ends up as just the one pick. I'd argue that even if Cousins is still there that is a lottery pick, given recent history. It is just my speculation but if they haven't made the playoffs by the time Cousins becomes a free agent then he will be gone