Author Topic: Celtics reportedly interested in Lithuanian Mindaugas Kuzminskas (6'9" SF)  (Read 1672 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Currently plays for Unicaja Malaga aka Baloncesto Málaga in Span (Euroleague) , 26 years old.
Looks pretty good in the few short vids I've watched...
Very solid numbers:

13.3 points
51%FG
36.5% 3Pt FG
in only 21 mins per game

Report says this year so maybe when David Lee is cut? I thought you had to register for the draft to join the NBA though so maybe they meant next season...

he Boston Celtics are closely monitoring Mindaugas Kuzminskas. They have contacted his agents already and are thinking about adding him to the team’s roster for the 2015-16 season. – via La Opinion de Malaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIydlInu69E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFTqfsxrN4
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Celtics reportedly interested in Lithuanian Mindaugas Kuzminskas (6'9" SF)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a poor defender, I think he is a better spot up shooter than a creator.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A SF who is slow by Euro standards is to me worrying.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
His defense doesn't look too poor to me.
Can't see him being any slower than Jerebko and 13 points on 51% fg (and 36.5% on threes) is pretty impressive.
He obviously likes to bang inside too. If the C's scouts think he's worth a shot then it's because of the above.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A SF who is slow by Euro standards is to me worrisome.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can't see him being any slower than Jerebko and 13 points on 51% fg (and 36.5% on threes) is pretty impressive.
He obviously likes to bang inside too. If the C's scouts think he's worth a shot then it's because of the above

Hardly, comforting, to me, that you endorse a player's defense.  You were never bothered by Sully's lack of speed either, yet it is an issue that comes up in games sometimes.   No player, is perfect, I get that.

You are aware that his three point shooting, has only improved recently?

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Mindaugas-Kuzminskas/Summary/9729

Which is a good sign.  I would not mind using a 2nd round pick on him.

Though he shows an adequate effort level and solid fundamentals, Kuzminskas's lack of lateral quickness and exceptionally narrow frame will make NBA decision-makers question who he'll be able to defend at the next level. He makes some heady plays in the passing lanes, showing good anticipation skills, but has a hard time denying dribble penetration and isn't able to keep up with players who can string moves together at full speed.

His length allows him to contest shots relatively well, but that may not be enough to compensate for his short-comings at the NBA level. Severely lacking bulk, Kuzminskas' biggest challenge will be adding weight to his narrow frame while trying to improve his lateral quickness in order to not be labeled as a defensive liability. Already you see him struggling with screens and getting posted up by stronger players, and would be a clear cut target to isolate against in today’s NBA.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mindaugas-Kuzminskas-5783/

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
He obviously likes to bang inside too. If the C's scouts think he's worth a shot then it's because of the above

Hardly, comforting, to me, that you endorse a player's defense.  You were never bothered by Sully's lack of speed either, yet it is an issue that comes up in games sometimes.   No player, is perfect, I get that.

Though he shows an adequate effort level and solid fundamentals, Kuzminskas's lack of lateral quickness and exceptionally narrow frame will make NBA decision-makers question who he'll be able to defend at the next level. He makes some heady plays in the passing lanes, showing good anticipation skills, but has a hard time denying dribble penetration and isn't able to keep up with players who can string moves together at full speed.

His length allows him to contest shots relatively well, but that may not be enough to compensate for his short-comings at the NBA level. Severely lacking bulk, Kuzminskas' biggest challenge will be adding weight to his narrow frame while trying to improve his lateral quickness in order to not be labeled as a defensive liability. Already you see him struggling with screens and getting posted up by stronger players, and would be a clear cut target to isolate against in today’s NBA.

I've never said Sully was an excellent defender, I just defended him against your unfair and unjustified claims that he's a terrible defender.
It's funny you should bring up Sully because he has the best defensive rating on the team at the moment at 98 per 100 possessions.
You've consistently crapped on him for the last 2 years about his defense (among other things), but he's the starting PF on a team with a top 5 NBA defense. When you're smart with quick hands and can use your body in the post, it makes up for a lot what you lack in speed.

So yeah by your logic, it is, hardly worrisome to me, that you would make a mountain out of a mole hill about a particular player's weaker areas because Sully has proven you completely wrong  ;)

Anyway, a 2nd round pick in the late 40's or 50's would be fine with me too.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
This gets me thinking about two things.

Firstly, does this mean anything for Jae and Turner? Doubtful, but I would be really sad to see either go.

Secondly, are we adding another player to the existing roster crunch? Ainge needs to get on Hoarders.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

I've never said Sully was an excellent defender, I just defended him against your unfair and unjustified claims that he's a terrible defender.
It's funny you should bring up Sully because he has the best defensive rating on the team at the moment at 98 per 100 possessions.
You've consistently crapped on him for the last 2 years about his defense (among other things), but he's the starting PF on a team with a top 5 NBA defense. When you're smart with quick hands and can use your body in the post, it makes up for a lot what you lack in speed.

So yeah by your logic, it is, hardly worrisome to me, that you would make a mountain out of a mole hill about a particular player's weaker areas because Sully has proven you completely wrong  ;)

Anyway, a 2nd round pick in the late 40's or 50's would be fine with me too.

He's already been draft eligible and gone undrafted. This would be a free agent signing.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You do realize you're quoting a six year old scouting report, right?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson