Poll

Which would you rather trade: 2018 Nets pick v. 2018-ish Grizz pick?

2018 Nets pick
2018 Grizzlies pick (including protections)

Author Topic: Which would you rather trade: 2018 Nets pick v. 2018-ish Grizz pick?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
2018 Nets pick = unprotected

2018 Grizz pick = protected for selections 1-12 in 2018 (conveyable if Memphis conveys a 1st round pick to Denver in 2016), 1-8 in 2019 (conveyable if Memphis has conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver by 2017) and 1-6 in 2020 (conveyable if Memphis has conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver by 2018) and unprotected in 2021.

The MEM / DEN conveyance is protected as follows:

Memphis' 1st round pick to Denver (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019

if you had to trade one, which would it be?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Which would you rather trade: 2018 Nets pick v. 2018-ish Grizz pick?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I would rather trade the Grizzlies pick for sure

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Definitely would keep the Nets pick.  While it's possible the Grizz pick will be better, the unprotected nature of that pick, on top of the tough slog the Nets will have back to competitiveness, make it the better choice.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
trade the Memphis pick before 2018 Brooklyn.  Despite who Brooklyn may add, they'll still fall apart if Lopez has any troubles with the bod.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If both were unprotected, Grizzlies all day. I'm not convinced that they'll be that much better other than a possible 7th/8th seed at best, considering how much dominant players like KAT, AD, Curry; etc, will be in the future.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
2018 Nets pick = unprotected

2018 Grizz pick = protected for selections 1-12 in 2018 (conveyable if Memphis conveys a 1st round pick to Denver in 2016), 1-8 in 2019 (conveyable if Memphis has conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver by 2017) and 1-6 in 2020 (conveyable if Memphis has conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver by 2018) and unprotected in 2021.

The MEM / DEN conveyance is protected as follows:

Memphis' 1st round pick to Denver (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019

if you had to trade one, which would it be?

Really no chance MEM conveys a pick this year to DEN. So the earliest Boston would get the MEM pick would be 2019, when it is top-8 protected.

Nets could very well still be rebuilding by 2018.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Keep the Nets pick.

Nets pick is unprotected and still a good probability they stink that year too (at least a non-playoff team).

Memphis doesn't become unprotected until 2021 and is contingent upon the Denver conveyance.  so many protections attached that it's unlikely it comes to us as a particularly high pick and there's also no reason to expect them to bottom out at the time we get that pick.
Memphis is likely to convey next year since they're unlikely to be bottom 5.  That leaves us looking at 2019 if they're not bottom 8 which is pretty likely. 

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Keep the unprotected pick from the badly run team. 

Is this even a question?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I voted for Brooklyn as I believe Brooklyn will try to be good in 2018 and Memphis is just going to get worse as the protection on the pick gets better. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'm not voting yet, cuz I can't decide. The unprotected nature of the BKLN pick suggests it's the right choice. But i think it's a much tougher decision than it suggests at face value.

The MEM pick will likely convey in 2019 or 2020 (which also decreases its valuable compared to the Nets pick). I think the Grizz are going to have a very difficult time staying competitive from now through then. Randolph will be long gone. Conley will either be overpaid or leave -- neither is going to be a great move. They'll hold onto Gasol too long. They'll make middling moves to hang around the 8 seed for the next couple of seasons. And yet their rookie scale cupboard is weak, and they're pick situation is mediocre. Finally, what major FA is going to sign in Memphis? The team should be in Nashville anyway.

Bottom line: I think the Memphis pick stands an excellent chance to be a lottery pick, where the Nets pick is far more variable. They may very well find a far, far better replacement for Billy King. With tons of cap room, and a luxury tax appetite from the owner, how hard can it be for a New York based team with a brand new arena to build a playoff team -- or even a very good one -- in the next two years?

I'm ******' torn....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:43 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd rather trade the Memphis Pick, but don't be mistaken, the Memphis Pick is by no means a throw in.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I voted for Brooklyn as I believe Brooklyn will try to be good in 2018 and Memphis is just going to get worse as the protection on the pick gets better. 
are you under the impression that Memphis WON'T try to be good when they owe both Denver and us future picks?  I don't follow how you think Brooklyn who sucks will get better while Memphis who's good will get worse.

food for thought: Brooklyn may want to get better but when they have
-no draft picks
-1 prime player that has an injury history under contract
-nothing to lure good FAs to play there
they may have no choice in the matter.  LA didn't want to stink either but they couldn't draw flies this past offseason so when the team long thought of here as the prime FA destination strikes out, there's no reason to expect Brooklyn to fare any better.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
are you under the impression that Memphis WON'T try to be good when they owe both Denver and us future picks?  I don't follow how you think Brooklyn who sucks will get better while Memphis who's good will get worse.

-no draft picks
they may have no choice in the matter.  LA didn't want to stink either but they couldn't draw flies this past offseason so when the team long thought of here as the prime FA destination strikes out, there's no reason to expect Brooklyn to fare any better.

if you were an NBA free agent in your 20s, where would you sign -- Memphis or New York? now, what if the owner of one of the teams told you you could bring two of your best friends, and that he'd be sure all of you would be 100% mint VIPs at every single event of note in the greatest city in the world?

the Nets stand a FAR better chance of winning a championship in the next 5-10 years than the Grizzlies.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:18 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Keep the unprotected pick from the badly run team. 

Is this even a question?

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

-no draft picks

if you were an NBA free agent in your 20s, where would you sign? now, what if the owner of one of the teams told you you could bring two of your best friends, and that he'd be sure all of you would be 100% mint VIPs at every single event of note in the greatest city in the world?

the Nets stand a FAR better chance of winning a championship in the next 5-10 years than the Grizzlies.
In 5-10 years?  we're talking 2018 --> 2 seasons after this.  Memphis isn't winning a title but doesn't need to do to offer a pick that turns out to be worse than Brooklyn's.

As for the side perks, didn't exactly entice Aldridge or Monroe this past offseason.  Keep in mind, those same offers could be made in LA where Hollywood and the music industry also beckons.  (not to mention better year-round weather). 
They lured Melo (or more specifically, his wife) to NY.  If any player is actually attracted to that stuff, the Knicks are the marquee team in that town, actually play in the most famous arena, have 1 top player in the league, a top rookie and will also enjoy the luxury of an increasing cap coming up.

Brooklyn doesn't scare me in terms of improving -- certainly not while we control their picks.  They very well could win a title before Memphis ever does but it won't be while we're collecting their picks.