Author Topic: Atlanta considering breaking up their core  (Read 8983 times)

Atlanta considering breaking up their core
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Please merge this if you feel inclined, but according to ESPN sources Atlanta is having internal discussions to trade some combination of Korver, Teague, and Horford. I know there's been plenty of threads discussing Horford, but is this the first time we get some true confirmation???

The article mentions that the Celtics are one of few teams that are most aggressively going after Horford.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14745595/atlanta-hawks-entertain-deals-al-horford-jeff-teague-kyle-korver-trade-deadline

Re: Atlanta considering breaking up their core
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
good news. will be interesting to watch. no doubt Ainge will be looser with picks than others will (or even, can) be....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
C's should target Korver or help to facilitate a 3-teamer.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I bet they try a deal with Houston

Horford and Teague for Howard and Beverly(signed 4 yrs/24mil), picks

Howard is from Atlanta , Houston gets a starting pg to put next to Harden

Both teams win

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think this might be a case where another team will put a better offer for a player.

I can see Orlando with the better offer then Boston because I do not see Ainge and the Celtics giving up their best trade bait for a player over 30 on the last year of their contract. 

Can the Celtics offer more the Harris if they do not want to offer the Net's pick? 

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Teague has supposedly deleted all of his Hawks-related pictures off his Instragram account. Will be interesting to follow as we progress against the deadline ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
good news. will be interesting to watch. no doubt Ainge will be looser with picks than others will (or even, can) be....
From this bunch, you clearly want Horford. The question is how prudent it is to spend too much resources on a player on the wrong side of 30 that is not under team controll
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not even surprised. They can't afford the salary

Praying Celts will overpay for Horford/teague

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
From this bunch, you clearly want Horford. The question is how prudent it is to spend too much resources on a player on the wrong side of 30 that is not under team controll
He is actually 29 years old (turning 30 this June), so we might be able to squeeze a good 3 to 4 years out of him. But you have a point either way. I personally wouldn't offer any of the Nets picks in exhange for Horford.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not even surprised. They can't afford the salary

Praying Celts will overpay for Horford/teague

I don't.  Horford could easily walk after the season. 

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I do not think this makes too much sense for ATL. D12 is a free agent and i doubt he would be interested in resigning with ATL with the roster that they have. If they blow up there core as reported they will be looking for younger players and picks especially if Teague and Horford are in the same deal. One of the reasons they are willing to move on from Teague is that they like Schroder wich makes Beverley redundant.

I bet they try a deal with Houston

Horford and Teague for Howard and Beverly(signed 4 yrs/24mil), picks

Howard is from Atlanta , Houston gets a starting pg to put next to Harden

Both teams win

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:15:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He is actually 29 years old (turning 30 this June), so we might be able to squeeze a good 3 to 4 years out of him. But you have a point either way. I personally wouldn't offer any of the Nets picks in exhange for Horford.
Right, which means he'll be on the wrong side of 30 over the life of his next contract. I assume we're not discussing him as half-season rental, in which case his age doesn't really matter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
They shouldnt do that. They are like one piece away, I don't get it

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

What I mean by "looser with picks" is that I think Ainge is more than prepared to take the risk on Horford with mid-picks in the 2016 draft. God knows we don't need many more rookie-scale role players.

BUT -- I'd attempt to trade for both Horford and Korver in order to justify the overall value of the deal. I'd say Korver could snatch one 1st round pick, though likely not a lottery pick. Horford could also, along with one good young player. So, something like:

Lee, Sullinger, Young, 2016 Dallas pick, 2016 Celtics pick and 2016 Philly 2nd for Horford, and Korver.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z9hob42

I do think that wdleehi is on to something. It could be that Orlando can trump a Celtics offer if they want players, not picks. A Harris for Horford deal would be tough for us to compete with.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It makes a lot of sense for us to go after Horford. 

The Hawks were a 38 win playoff team in 2014.  Horford was limited to 29 games and missed the playoffs. 

The Hawks were a 60 win playoff team in 2015... Horford played 76 games and the team made the ECF with him.

Horford was the difference between a borderline .500 also-ran ... and the best record in the Eastern Conference.

Boston was a 38 win playoff team last year.   We're already on pace to be a 47 win team this year.  Adding Horford makes us pretty dangerous in the playoffs. 

Problem is that he could bail this Summer.  Taking him on is a risk.  But since Horford is one half of Danny's "Durant/Horford" summer pipedream, I guess adding him now and going hard at a playoff run gets us a little closer to accomplishing that dream.