Author Topic: Larry Sanders: I may come back  (Read 8662 times)

Larry Sanders
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Someone had a thread about Larry, but I could not find it.  It had a nice link to a video about Larry that was very informative.  He battled depression and has since received therapy for it and is wanting back into the NBA.

This is a low risk and high reward option.  Sign him now for the rest of the season and we would have his Bird Rights, correct?

I have a Master's in Counseling and depression can be devastating and many, if not a majority, try to self-medicate themselves with illicit drugs as Sanders did with pot.

I find it frustrating how many on this board are so quick to judge Sanders and call him names and call others names that dare mention giving this kid another chance.  Yes, Sanders is different, but is that such a bad thing????????

Smitty77

Re: Larry Sanders
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 04:16:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Someone had a thread about Larry, but I could not find it.  It had a nice link to a video about Larry that was very informative.  He battled depression and has since received therapy for it and is wanting back into the NBA.

This is a low risk and high reward option.  Sign him now for the rest of the season and we would have his Bird Rights, correct?

I have a Master's in Counseling and depression can be devastating and many, if not a majority, try to self-medicate themselves with illicit drugs as Sanders did with pot.

I find it frustrating how many on this board are so quick to judge Sanders and call him names and call others names that dare mention giving this kid another chance.  Yes, Sanders is different, but is that such a bad thing????????

Smitty77
i remember that thread. and i also recall that it was not one-sided and filled only with distain for sanders. i think a lot of folks here would be willing to give sanders a chance if he is over, or at least controlling, his depression.

but then, when did the opinions on cb change ainge's thinking on these things?  ;D

by the way, do you have a link that shows he wants back in the nba? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77
i remember that thread. and i also recall that it was not one-sided and filled only with distain for sanders. i think a lot of folks here would be willing to give sanders a chance if he is over, or at least controlling, his depression.

but then, when did the opinions on cb change ainge's thinking on these things?  ;D

by the way, do you have a link that shows he wants back in the nba? thanks.

You are correct.  It was not in this thread I mentioned, but the many others when he was in the league and we were talking about trading for him that many were so heartless in their comments.

Smitty77

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Good point about the heartlessness of some comments.  These are individuals, putting themselves in the public spotlight to pursue their dreams, and deserve more respect, especially considering we're just posting anonymously on the internet.

Re: Larry Sanders: I may come back
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Man oh man is he freaking ripped to shreads!!

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=82793.msg2027681#msg2027681

Another fascinating read about Sanders:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/05/larry-sanders-profile-walking-away-from-nba

The failure of the NBA to tackle mental illness in the league:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12354422/larry-sanders-battle-anxiety-depression

Or does the NBA just not care about their players and mental illness??

http://sports.politicususa.com/2015/05/09/why-doesnt-the-nba-care-about-mental-illness.html

Smitty77

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
This entire situation with Royce White and Larry Sanders and the FACT that 26% of NBA players (that we estimate, which is likely quite low) have mental health issues has really sparked something in me regarding how I might be able to become part of the solution to this dilemma!!

I am not sure how to do that and where I might start, but I would love to perhaps get involved.

Smitty77

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We'll I'm sure someone on CB will want to give him the max, he can block shots. :o

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If he returns to the NBA, Sanders should give back all the money he took from Milwaukee on that unfulfilled contract of his.

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If you make that argument, just about every OR EVERY player getting a buy out should have to do that, right?

And how is it fair to penalize a player for mental health issues?  Is that NOT the FAULT of the team for not doing proper research on THEIR player BEFORE signing him to a 4 year $44 million extension?????????????????????????????????????????????

Smitty77

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:51 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If he returns to the NBA, Sanders should give back all the money he took from Milwaukee on that unfulfilled contract of his.

That will never happen who.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If you make that argument, just about every OR EVERY player getting a buy out should have to do that, right?

And how is it fair to penalize a player for mental health issues?  Is that NOT the FAULT of the team for not doing proper research on THEIR player BEFORE signing him to a 4 year $44 million extension?????????????????????????????????????????????

Smitty77
which nowadays seems like such a bargain, doesnt it?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

Illicit does not seem to be the right word to describe marijuana.

Perhaps you mean he should have had a therapist and maybe he could try weed legally as a treatment?

Are you saying it's your opinion pot should be illegal?

The times are a' changing. Many lives were ruined because pot had been immorally defined as illicit. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes outright legal sooner rather than later, similar to the lift on alcohol prohibition.

Some or many argue that alcohol is worse than pot. I am under the impression that one can smoke pot with a doctor's note. That makes it legal, not illicit.

I doubt marijuana had anything to do with Sanders' problems.

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
To be young and rich must be nice...

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Illicit does not seem to be the right word to describe marijuana.

Perhaps you mean he should have had a therapist and maybe he could try weed legally as a treatment?

Are you saying it's your opinion pot should be illegal?

The times are a' changing. Many lives were ruined because pot had been immorally defined as illicit. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes outright legal sooner rather than later, similar to the lift on alcohol prohibition.

Some or many argue that alcohol is worse than pot. I am under the impression that one can smoke pot with a doctor's note. That makes it legal, not illicit.

I doubt marijuana had anything to do with Sanders' problems.

Celticpride,

I called it illicit because it was and is illegal in MOST states and he got into trouble for testing positive for that or some other drug(s) with the NBA.  I am in no way interested in getting into a debate with you about legalizing pot.  Have at it with others!!  Nothing is EVER accomplished by that debate and I have found it to be an utter waste of my time, as people typically have their minds made up on that issue.  I am over a Human Service Program at the college level and teach the courses for a Substance Abuse Certificate.  This is something I know quite a bit about, but I will stand down on your lovely offer to debate this issue:-).

Smitty77