Author Topic: What about Horford?  (Read 1458 times)

What about Horford?
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The Hawks aren't wanting to pay Horford this summer, so he should be decently easy to obtain. Other than being a bit older than we want, he's virtually a perfect fit at the five spot for us right now, and I don't think any better center will become available to us anytime soon. This leaves two questions:

1) Are you willing to pay him this summer?

and

2) How much will it cost to get him?

It actually just so happens that Amir is the same salary as Horford, and he'd be an ideal get for them due to his lower salary and the fact that it is non-guaranteed, in addition to being a good vet that will still help them.

So, if the asking price was Amir and the Dallas first this year, would you do it?

Re: What about Horford?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Hawks aren't wanting to pay Horford this summer, so he should be decently easy to obtain. Other than being a bit older than we want, he's virtually a perfect fit at the five spot for us right now, and I don't think any better center will become available to us anytime soon. This leaves two questions:

and

It actually just so happens that Amir is the same salary as Horford, and he'd be an ideal get for them due to his lower salary and the fact that it is non-guaranteed, in addition to being a good vet that will still help them.

So, if the asking price was Amir and the Dallas first this year, would you do it?

The asking price will be significantly higher than that.

That said, I'm very pro-Horford, and would absolutely be willing to pay him this season.  He turns 30 in June, so a 4-year deal takes him through age 33, before too much decline should set in.  Also, acquiring him now actually creates extra cap space relative to signing him in the offseason, as his cal hold will be $18 million but his salary figures to be in the $23-$25 million range.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:57:33 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:55:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

and

How much do you think? I can't imagine that it'll be all that much higher given that A) everyone knows they're not wanting to pay him, and B) he's going to get paid this summer. I guess if we know they're not wanting to pay him, we can always try to pry him away this summer and not waste assets. However, that's not worked all that well for us in the past, and he might be looking at his last big contract, meaning he's going to go with the money from somewhere. I guess as long as we'd be willing to offer him the max nobody could outbid us (other than Atlanta), and our basketball situation is better right now than most of the others who would possibly be bidding for him.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:58:14 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Id personally be for it. I know the dallas pick is decent but i don't see too many likely scenarios where were going to feel like  where getting the better end of the stick.pretty much its a trade for a gambling ticket whichoure rep and hopefully playoff run will help persuade the final decision. Sounds good to me. I dont see any better suggestions for the minimim amount of assets in this equation

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

and

How much do you think? I can't imagine that it'll be all that much higher given that A) everyone knows they're not wanting to pay him, and B) he's going to get paid this summer. I guess if we know they're not wanting to pay him, we can always try to pry him away this summer and not waste assets. However, that's not worked all that well for us in the past, and he might be looking at his last big contract, meaning he's going to go with the money from somewhere. I guess as long as we'd be willing to offer him the max nobody could outbid us (other than Atlanta), and our basketball situation is better right now than most of the others who would possibly be bidding for him.

You beat me to my edit, but I'd expect he will command at least some young player in return in addition to a pick.  The Hawks are still competitive this year -- they're not going to pull the plug mid-season for a draft choice that looks to be around 20.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He d help the Celtics .  He wouldn't be cheap.

Horfords got some age on him.  And he is not all that taller than Sully .

But I still like Amir as our rim protector .

I think they keep him

But Teague looks very poor lately......he MAY want to be traded .......and I don't want him on the Celtics either

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:43:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I really don't see the logic behind the Hawks wanting to unload Horford with the cap going up.  The guy can play and he's a key component on a good team.  Those guys aren't exactly easy to find.  Despite the rumors I seriously doubt they're moving him - unless they get more than equal value coming back - i.e. they improve their team immediately by dealing him.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I really don't see the logic behind the Hawks wanting to unload Horford with the cap going up.  The guy can play and he's a key component on a good team.  Those guys aren't exactly easy to find.  Despite the rumors I seriously doubt they're moving him - unless they get more than equal value coming back - i.e. they improve their team immediately by dealing him.

I've always thought that the logical explanation is not that they don't want to resign him, but fear that they won't be able to. Put yourself in Al Horford's shoes. You're about to get your last big contract, and possibly your last chance at a title. You can resign with the aging Hawks or you can sign with the young and upcoming Celtics team that's already better than the Hawks. If the Hawks fear (or have heard from his representation) that this is what is happening, then it makes all the sense in the world to squeeze whatever value out of Horford they can.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:53:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

and

1. Yes, I think he'll age well. We need top end talent, and outside of Durant, Horford is the best free agent available this offseason.

2. Shouldn't be too much, as he's an expiring. I'd do Amir and the Dallas Pick, although I'd be sad to see Amir go.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I've always thought that the logical explanation is not that they don't want to resign him, but fear that they won't be able to. Put yourself in Al Horford's shoes. You're about to get your last big contract, and possibly your last chance at a title. You can resign with the aging Hawks or you can sign with the young and upcoming Celtics team that's already better than the Hawks. If the Hawks fear (or have heard from his representation) that this is what is happening, then it makes all the sense in the world to squeeze whatever value out of Horford they can.

Upon further review of the rumors, this is what it is. They really don't want to sign him to huge money long-term, but they're even more worried that he'll leave them this summer. He's made some remarks about being in a bigger market, so I guess that's what they're going off of with their worries. We're a bit bigger market than Atlanta, but who knows how big of a market he's really talking about and how much the money and basketball part of the equation matters, too.

I'd think the basketball part would be important to him with him being a two-time NCAA champion at Florida.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:00:49 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I was never real big on Horford dont see him as that guy putting us over the top where we'd want to build around him
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6663734

It would probably take something like this. Might have to add Dallas' pick

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla

I love Horford but I'm not sure I would do that. He obviously have to commit to signing an extension.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I love Horford but I'm not sure I would do that. He obviously have to commit to signing an extension.

And since he cannot commit to signing an extension without breaking the rules of the CBA, you would not do that.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla

And since he cannot commit to signing an extension without breaking the rules of the CBA, you would not do that.

Not officially but I'm sure guys like Love unofficially committed to staying before the trade was made.