Poll

If the season ended today, how many Cs would make it on 1st or 2nd All-NBA Defensive Team?

14 (29.2%)
23 (47.9%)
8 (16.7%)
0 (0%)
None
3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Celtics on 2016 All-NBA Defensive Team?  (Read 7555 times)

Celtics on 2016 All-NBA Defensive Team?
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:55:56 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Currently the Cs are the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA, an amazing lockdown defense built around 3 bulldog perimeter defenders and great rotations.

If the season were to end today, it would be a shame if there isn't at least 1 Celtic on an all-nba defensive team.

Poll Q: How many Celtics would be on the all-nba defensive team if the season were to end today?

Comment Q: Which Celtic(s) would you vote for?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Celtics on 2016 All-NBA Defensive Team?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
lol if I was voting there would be 3:
Smart
Crowder
Bradley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Smart 1st team
Crowder 2nd team
Bradley 2nd team
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Interesting to see the bench player as the 1st team choice.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Smart and Bradley have a good shot at getting in.

Crowder is more of a close-call because the SF position has some terrific defensive talent. Kawhi Leonard will definitely get a spot. Paul George should too. LeBron doesn't deserve a spot this year but he will get in on name recognition alone. So with 3 SFs already on the books, does Crowder get in? I don't know.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It's a really good question...if you look at the stats the player with the lowest (best) Defensive Rating per 100 possessions is Jared Sullinger by a long margin - almost 3 (!!) points better than Amir Johnson who is next.

I think this complicates things a little bit for a 1st team vote, though I firmly believe that Marcus Smart is the best defensive guard in the NBA right now, so I think he will get at least a 2nd team placement.

One player will make a team for sure so I voted 1.  That will at least cover them since they are a good team defense.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Smart missed a lot of the first half of the season.  How much should that matter?

The Celts have some nice individual defenders but I feel like their success has a lot more to do with excellent team defense, so it's hard to decide if they should have any All-NBA guys.  Crowder seems like the best option aside from Smart, but like Who said, there are a lot of excellent defenders at SF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Smart and Bradley have a good shot at getting in.

Crowder is more of a close-call because the SF position has some terrific defensive talent. Kawhi Leonard will definitely get a spot. Paul George should too. LeBron doesn't deserve a spot this year but he will get in on name recognition alone. So with 3 SFs already on the books, does Crowder get in? I don't know.

Iggy and TA will get strong consideration as wing defenders, so that leaves maybe one or two other potential openings for a wing defender.  Crowder seems unlikely to me.

Smart and Bradley are more likely to make it.  One of them has to.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It does seem like Crowder, Bradley, and Smart are all in the mix. The problem is, these selections so often go to undeserving superstars just because they're big names. For that reason, I think the Celtics' team defense has to become a story unto itself in the NBA for them to actually get some guys on the team. If they wind up with homecourt in the first round, that might be enough to get them into the conversation but if they struggle to finish the season and wind up something like 44-38, I don't think that's enough to get those guys into the larger conversation.

But if they finish as the 3 seed, we might see all 3 guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I gave up in media voted awards when Isaiah was robbed of the 6th man award.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I actually like Crowder's chances.  He's been getting a lot of respect around the league, being called a borderline All-Star and what not.  I think voters actually like guys like him. 

Contrary to what some people, like Big333223 right above me, say about undeserving superstars on the All-Defensive team, I think this is rarely the case.  Just in the past few years we've seen guys like Tony Allen, Patrick Beverly, Andrew Bogut, Andre Iguodala, Shane Battier, Thabo Sefolosha, etc. on the All-Defensive teams.  These are all guys who were averaging less than 10ppg when they were selected.  I think the voters love these types of guys, and know voting them to the All-Defensive team is the only time they'll ever be able to get respect as they'll most likely never be an All-Star or win All-NBA, MVP, or SMOY.  I actually think not being a superstar sometimes helps you get selected to All-Defense, I don't think the bar is as high for non-superstars.

Also Smart and Bradley might split the vote at the guard position, while Crowder doesn't have that same competion (if a voter was looking to reward a C for their great team defense).

For reference, last years All-Defensive teams:

1st
Tony Allen
Draymond Green
Kawhi Leonard
DeAndre Jordan
Chris Paul

2nd
John Wall
Tim Duncan
Anthony Davis
Jimmy Butler
Andrew Bogut

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Allen, John Wall, and Tim Duncan drop off, and questionable on Butler.  Also don't think LeBron will be added in.  I see some available spots for Bradley, Smart, and Crowder.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bradley.
Votes on this award are often given with 1/2 year delay.
It is kind of a reputation thing. Similar to the allstar selections
Many undeserving get props even though they are no longer defending at that high level.
This will hurt our guys imo.

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This could be an interesting year for the C's awards-wise, especially if they finish with 50+ wins.

Like I just said, I like the chances of Crowder, Bradley, and Smart to make All-Defense.  Anywhere from one to all three is possible (of course all three is least likely though).

I would have to think Stevens has a pretty good shot at COY.  Kerr and Walton splitting the time in Golden State probably takes them out of the race (otherwise it would be going there).  Pop won it in 2012 and 2014 so apparently he's on an every other year thing so he might be due again.  You have Dwane Casey doing pretty good in Toronto.  Stotts, Snyder, and Carisle will get some votes but probably aren't serious contenders.  I see it as a 3 coach race between Pop, Casey, and Stevens right now.

And then let's not forget about Isaiah.  He was set up to win SMOY award, but now that he's become a starter that's out of the question.  I can see him sneaking in for 3rd team All-NBA though.  You have your top 5 guards in Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Harden, and Thompson set.  But whose the 6th?  Kyrie has missed too much time, Wall's not elevating Washington. so he'll be out of favor.  I think it's going to come down to Lillard, Lowry, DeRozan, and Isaiah (with Lowry and DeRozan possibly splitting the Toronto vote).  I wouldn't be surprised to see Isaiah sneak in there either.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
judging from DRPM, Amir, Jae, and Smart are most deserving. In that order. Edit: Sully is actually leading the team in DRPM.
Between Smart, Jae, Sully, and Amir, the mean DRPM ranking is 7.5.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:03:51 PM by Denis998 »

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I see Bradley getting in. A number of teammates last year were pretty disgusted with his omission - the team, as a whole, is awesome this year and Bradley has the most cache.

I answered with two and that 2nd one I was assuming would be Crowder, but Who pointed out that George, Kawhi, Lebron, Butler may make it tough on him and I am not second guessing myself.. If he had continued to lead the NBA in steals, this would have helped him greatly.

I think Smart will have to wait another year, but agree that he is actually our best defensive player.

On another note, will Whiteside make it with his humongous block numbers?