Author Topic: Tobias Harris available?  (Read 7234 times)

Re: Tobias Harris available?
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think Harris has regressed at all.  He is scoring more points per shot than last year, rebounding and passing at a much higher rate, blocking and stealing at a higher rate, etc.  His 3PT% is down a bit, but that is about it.  His minutes are down because they are trying to get more people involved.  Ainge obviously likes Harris or Boston wouldn't have been as heavily connected to him last summer as it was.

I'd love to get Harris at the right price.  I think he is a guy that could be a real part of a title contender at some point down the line. 

Harris and Fournier

for

Johnson, Turner, Sullinger, Dallas 1st, Boston 1st

That seems like a pretty fair trade for both teams.  Orlando gets veteran leadership, a young PF, and two 1st's and Boston gets a couple of solid young players that are theoretically good fits on the team.

I'm with you until the actual proposal.

Why would they trade Fournier with Harris? He's part of a wing rotation that would benefit minutes-wise from Harris' departure.

And why send them Johnson and Turner with Sullinger? Aren't we trying to take another step forward in the deal? Lee does the trick just fine as cap filler, considering Johnson and and Turner are pretty wasted on a lottery team...

Otherwise you're right there with me: Sully, filler, two non-lottery picks.
They don't want filler.  They want guys that can help them.

How do Turner and Johnson help them? Don't see it. They'd rather have Fournier than those two.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:20:11 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I don't think Harris has regressed at all.  He is scoring more points per shot than last year, rebounding and passing at a much higher rate, blocking and stealing at a higher rate, etc.  His 3PT% is down a bit, but that is about it.  His minutes are down because they are trying to get more people involved.  Ainge obviously likes Harris or Boston wouldn't have been as heavily connected to him last summer as it was.

I'd love to get Harris at the right price.  I think he is a guy that could be a real part of a title contender at some point down the line. 

Harris and Fournier

for

That seems like a pretty fair trade for both teams.  Orlando gets veteran leadership, a young PF, and two 1st's and Boston gets a couple of solid young players that are theoretically good fits on the team.

I like Harris a lot, and would like us to try to get him, but that trade does make us a lot smaller up front in the near term.   I'd also rather use Lee as the salary matcher than Johnson because that would reserve Amir's contract for potential trade use in the small window between the end of the season and his 2nd year vesting date, when it will have maximum trade value.
Doing that would cost at least 1 more 1st or decently valued player.  It does make Boston smaller in the near term, but better long term, which is the point.
Yes, I understand that, with Lee (instead of Amir) that we'd have to add more to the deal.

I think Danny is probably committed to strengthening the team in the short term as well as the long term.

Lee's contract becomes a buyout if we don't use it by the deadline.  Conversely, Amir's contract could still have it's maximum value towards some "long term" asset later on down the road (in the window between when the season ends and the vesting date for his 2nd season contract, his contract will basically represent "free salary matching").

So using them in that order could maximize return beyond what extra you might have to stick into the nearer deal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lateral moves . 

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Harris and Fournier

for

I'm with you until the actual proposal.

Why would they trade Fournier with Harris? He's part of a wing rotation that would benefit minutes-wise from Harris' departure.

And why send them Johnson and Turner with Sullinger? Aren't we trying to take another step forward in the deal? Lee does the trick just fine as cap filler, considering Johnson and and Turner are pretty wasted on a lottery team...

Otherwise you're right there with me: Sully, filler, two non-lottery picks.
They don't want filler.  They want guys that can help them.

How do Turner and Johnson help them? Don't see it. They'd rather have Fournier than those two.
They need veteran leadership and could use a more versatile wing like Turner that can play multiple positions and can play point forward.  They don't have any true PF's on the team.  Johnson with his defense and mid-range jumper is a good fit next Vucevic.  It would help with roster balance a great deal, just as Sullinger would.  Plus they pick up two firsts to use how they see fit.  If they want Hunter instead of a pick I'd do that, though Hunter seems like a lesser talented version of Hezonga. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Chad Evans
‏@TheNBABreak

All signs are pointing to the Magic trading Tobias Harris, with active discussions heating up with several teams. More details on this later

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Chad Evans
‏@TheNBABreak

All signs are pointing to the Magic trading Tobias Harris, with active discussions heating up with several teams. More details on this later

Excited to see Toby Harris on a different team. So many guards and forwards competing for minutes and shot attempts on that Magic team. It'd be nice to see Harris back in a settled role somewhere.

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Magic have discussed trades involving Victor Oladipo and Tobias Harris, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.

Would u guys do sully and ab for dipo and harris

Or sully and someone else

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The Magic have discussed trades involving Victor Oladipo and Tobias Harris, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.

Or sully and someone else

Harris at $16mil...no thanks.

The Magic want a veteran presence, and to a certain extent, Sully/Bradley provide this.

They'd be better off dealing with the Bucks. Monroe and Mayo might be more what they are looking for?

Heck, Monroe at $17mil or Harris at $16 mil, give me Moose every time.

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Sounds to me like Orlando has some buyer's remorse.  How about we offer them Lee and the Dallas pick.  That contact (Harris) is bad for what he is giving them.  He may improve but we thought Jeff Green would improve and he never did.  Harris is a risk of becoming dead money so I can't see giving up any players with real value.  If they want to dump him to clear up some cap, let's talk, but if they get greedy, Pass.

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sounds to me like Orlando has some buyer's remorse.  How about we offer them Lee and the Dallas pick.  That contact (Harris) is bad for what he is giving them.  He may improve but we thought Jeff Green would improve and he never did.  Harris is a risk of becoming dead money so I can't see giving up any players with real value.  If they want to dump him to clear up some cap, let's talk, but if they get greedy, Pass.

This is not buyers remorse. This is trading an asset with value who they really didn't seem to plan to keep long term as it was.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Don't know how valid the rumors are, but it's been my stance since the summer that Tobias Harris could be traded.

There were teams like Boston and Philly that reportedly were interested in signing Harris.  There were reports that Orlando was unlikely to match an offer, because they didn't want to pay Harris long-term.   They wisely decided to lock him up so they didn't lose him for nothing, but that certainly didn't rule out the possibility that they'd trade him for assets at the deadline.   With the deadline approaching and guys like Gordon and Hezonja eager to get minutes, Harris seems like a likely trade candidate.

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't know how valid the rumors are, but it's been my stance since the summer that Tobias Harris could be traded.

There were teams like Boston and Philly that reportedly were interested in signing Harris.  There were reports that Orlando was unlikely to match an offer, because they didn't want to pay Harris long-term.   They wisely decided to lock him up so they didn't lose him for nothing, but that certainly didn't rule out the possibility that they'd trade him for assets at the deadline.   With the deadline approaching and guys like Gordon and Hezonja eager to get minutes, Harris seems like a likely trade candidate.

That's pretty much how it played out.

I'll just add that during the time that Orlando wasn't planning to match, reports had it that Danny had no interest in offering a max contract to him. So considering his current contract, one would have to think that Ainge doesn't have much interest to acquire him + give assets for him on top of it, unless he judges that some of the assets he has are devalued and is fine with moving them.

We'll see.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I wonder if they'd be interested in a deal of Lee, Sullinger and a pick for Harris. They want to get more experience -- perhaps Lee could find a home in ORL as a vet off the bench (with championship experience). And Sully is a Scott Skiles type addition to a front court with soft rebounding who they can resign in RFA.

Meanwhile, they can clear their logjam of wings a bit in the process (which they need to do).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Who would play C for us?

Dipo, I think is an minor upgrade over Smart.  He is a better passer, slightly, slightly better rebounder, slightly better shooter, and slightly better PER.

Harris is a better shooter and scorer than Sully but worse rebounder.   We would have to play KO with him or Amir at C, or Zeller.

I wonder if they'd be interested in a deal of Lee, Sullinger and a pick for Harris. They want to get more experience -- perhaps Lee could find a home in ORL as a vet off the bench (with championship experience). And Sully is a Scott Skiles type addition to a front court with soft rebounding who they can resign in RFA.

I would be happier with this one.

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Who would play C for us?

Dipo, I think is an minor upgrade over Smart.  He is a better passer, slightly, slightly better rebounder, slightly better shooter, and slightly better PER.

Harris is a better shooter and scorer than Sully but worse rebounder.   We would have to play KO with him or Amir at C, or Zeller.

I would be happier with this one.

Yeah I don't see the point in the Oladipo / Harris package. It's overkill. Keep Bradley and trade for Harris.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)