Author Topic: Derek Fisher Fired  (Read 5871 times)

Re: Derek Fisher Fired
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Man it's good work if you can get it.

Fisher had a 5yr/$25m contract, fired 1 1/2 years in.

Are all 5 years guaranteed?

I believe all coaches' contracts are guaranteed.  The wrinkle is that if the coach takes a new job the old contract is voided.  So if Fisher wants his remaining ~$17.5 million he'd have to stay out of coaching for the next 3 seasons.

If someone told me they were giving me 17.5 million dollars but I had to guarantee that I wouldn't work for 3 years...tough choice there  ;)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am surprised. It is not like Kurt Rambis was a good head coach.

Who else is there that can coach Triangle? It's going to be hard to keep that system alive if they fire two (Fisher now, Rambis later) of the few guys willing and able to coach it.

Maybe Brian Shaw? Summer signing?

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Who else is there that can coach Triangle? It's going to be hard to keep that system alive if they fire two (Fisher now, Rambis later) of the few guys willing and able to coach it.

Shaw's name was linked as a potential candidate by Windhorst.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/696726278326480897

I think that the Knicks might shut Melo down after the All-Star Game, ride out the season, and try to hire Thibs this offseason.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man it's good work if you can get it.

Fisher had a 5yr/$25m contract, fired 1 1/2 years in.

Are all 5 years guaranteed?

I believe all coaches' contracts are guaranteed.  The wrinkle is that if the coach takes a new job the old contract is voided.  So if Fisher wants his remaining ~$17.5 million he'd have to stay out of coaching for the next 3 seasons.
Not necessarily. They are guaranteed, but can have options and buyouts like player deals. 5 years 25 million could be 3 years and 2 team options for "x" dollars.

So Fisher might have actually had a 3 year deal worth say 13 million with team options for 6 million for the next two years.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'd be shocked if Dolan didn't throw a giant bag of money toward Luke Walton in the offseason.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I think that the Knicks might shut Melo down after the All-Star Game, ride out the season, and try to hire Thibs this offseason.

I don't disagree with you, but they shut him down last year, and to do it again this year?

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The root of the issue is Phil Jackson

You drop the ball on signing an overrated star wannabe player to a ridiculous contract.  Then bring in a coach with near zero head coach experience at any level

Before Jackson gets fired he is cleaning house. I do believe melo is gone next if he can find anyone to take his contract and get a few 1sts in return. Good luck to that

Worse case , I would buy out Melo and hire Blatt or an experienced coach to steer the ship the right way.

Porzingis at least was a solid pick

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Fisher trashed Rondo this week in response to Rondo saying that fit in style of play would be important for his next contract, and that the triangle wasn't a fit for him.

Given the situation in Sacro, is it possible that Rondo will have had a hand in two NBA coach firings in one week?

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I don't disagree with you, but they shut him down last year, and to do it again this year?

I don't think they can possibly make the playoffs without a healthy Melo. They owe a 1st rounder to Toronto, but there's not much to be done about that now.

Get Melo healthy. Continue to develop Porzingis. Maybe clear a little more off of next year's books, to entice a major FA signing to join the Melo-Zinger core. The next head coach could play a significant role towards that last point.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am sorry but I am calling BS on this firing and on Jackson.  Unless there was a secret handshake between him and his former player ("I'll give you some head coaching experience, you will get paid, we will tank, and I'll let you go when we stink like we should")...which I HIGHLY doubt...the blame should go to Jackson.

He hired a guy with zero head coaching experience to coach a VETERAN team with arguably a top 10 player on the roster.  Haven't we learned that this is kind of a disaster (see: Kidd, Jason)?

Then he brings in Robin Lopez and Aaron Aflalo and expects - with a good rookie and a not-completely-healthy Melo - to suddenly be competitive?

This is a tanking firing, pure and simple.  I believe Melo is a goner for sure now.  There is no reason to keep him while his trade value is still there, playing alongside a 20 year-old and some average NBA veterans, to try and grab the 8th seed.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
That's what he gets for bad mouthing Rondo lol.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Still shocked they fired him to get the interim job to Rambis.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
maybe Fisher can get a nice job with the Jazz-they love him there....oh wait.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You can't lose 5 in a row and 9 of 10 and get blown out in those games and go from playoff contention to out of it as a result and expect to keep your job.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
maybe Fisher can get a nice job with the Jazz-they love him there....oh wait.

HA! TP