Poll

To get 50 wins we need to go 19 wins and 10 losses on our remaining games. Will they do it?

Yes
17 (51.5%)
No
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Will the Celtics get to 50 wins this season?  (Read 2590 times)

Will the Celtics get to 50 wins this season?
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:28:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We need to go 19 wins and 10 losses for our remaining 29 games. Will they do it?

Why/why not?

I think it's very possible now that the rotation has been culled/ filled out properly.
We'd also have home court in the first round of the playoffs if we finish in 3rd or 4th in the East.

yes or no?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Will the Celtics get to 50 wins this season?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:45:10 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Judging by the schedule below i'd say they'll get pretty close to 50. I'm gonna say 20-9... If the Cs keep playing like they are I can't see why not!

@Milwaukee
Los Angeles Clippers
@Utah
@Denver
@Minnesota
Milwaukee
Miami
Utah
Portland
NY Knicks
@Cleveland
Memphis
Houston
@Indiana
Oklahoma City
@Toronto
@Philadelphia
Orlando
Toronto
@Phoenix
@Los Angeles Clippers
@Portland
@Golden State
@Los Angeles Lakers
New Orleans
Milwaukee
@Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:15:30 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Judging by the schedule below i'd say they'll get pretty close to 50. I'm gonna say 20-9... If the Cs keep playing like they are I can't see why not!

@Milwaukee
Los Angeles Clippers
@Utah
@Denver
@Minnesota
Milwaukee
Miami
Utah
Portland
NY Knicks
@Cleveland
Memphis
Houston
@Indiana
Oklahoma City
@Toronto

@Philadelphia
Orlando
Toronto
@Phoenix
@Los Angeles Clippers
@Portland
@Golden State
@Los Angeles Lakers
New Orleans
Milwaukee
@Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami

Toughest stretch remaining on the schedule. If we escape that stretch maybe 3-3, I think we are in good shape for a nice finish.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:31:59 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

@Milwaukee
Los Angeles Clippers
@Utah
@Denver
@Minnesota
Milwaukee
Miami
Utah
Portland
NY Knicks
@Cleveland
Memphis
Houston
@Indiana
Oklahoma City
@Toronto

@Philadelphia
Orlando
Toronto
@Phoenix
@Los Angeles Clippers
@Portland
@Golden State
@Los Angeles Lakers
New Orleans
Milwaukee
@Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami

Toughest stretch remaining on the schedule. If we escape that stretch maybe 3-3, I think we are in good shape for a nice finish.

Agree, those 3 games at home are must wins against some very good teams. The 5 game west coast road trip will be a challenge too, although the Suns and Lakers are terrible they are games we could lose, the other 3 will be really tough at home.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
well we are currently at 58.5% and to get to 50 wins we'd need to win 65% of remaining games.
It's definitely possible, but definitely hard.

Would be a sweet result.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 07:06:53 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think we can do it.  This team is playing its best basketball in the Brad Stevens era.  Just have to continue to play the way they've been playing.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'll try to find and bump the summer thread on this topic.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:31:02 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
It is always tough to post a winning record on the road over a full season, so far the Celtics are one of only seven teams in the league to have a winning record .If they can go 6-8 on the road over the last 14 road games that will get them there.By my reckoning 7 of their last 13 games could be against teams already eliminated from the playoffs, so the Celtics playing with extra motivation should be able to get them over the line in virtually all of those games.
My prediction is a 10-5 home record and a 7-7 road record for a total of 48-34 record.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:59:53 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
It's a tall order for a team with no Durrant level type stars .

Geroge Karl commented , he was amazed the Celtics could force their will of energy and intensity to win so many games.

Celtics have to over power the other teams with their deep bench and energy.

19 more wins is a tall order.

I think they'll come up 5 wins short.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:52:29 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:06 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Not doubt it'll be tough, but I think it's achievable for this team. All year they've sort of been playing with a backs against the wall attitude, a we'll show you type deal.

Now, in the early part of the season there are about 6 games that the Celtics would love to have back. Particularly 2 against the nets and one against the lakers. Those will sting, but still we're in a good spot!

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It's a tall order for a team with no Durrant level type stars .

Geroge Karl commented , he was amazed the Celtics could force their will of energy and intensity to win so many games.

Celtics have to over power the other teams with their deep bench and energy.

19 more wins is a tall order.

I think they'll come up 5 wins short.

So you think they'll go 14-15 the next 29 games?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Celtics need to go 19-9 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins. It is seeming more plausible with every win.

The team is gelling and everyone knows there role. The only way I can see them not continuing their hot play would be due to injury or a trade that messes with chemistry in the short term.

The early season models that had the C's winning 48 games don't seem overly optimistic anymore.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think we can do it.  This team is playing its best basketball in the Brad Stevens era.  Just have to continue to play the way they've been playing.

Agree.  This is the first extended stretch where both the starters AND the bench are performing well on a consistent basis.

Last Spring, the starters would get us in a hole and the bench would dig us out.  For much of this year, the starters would build leads, the bench would blow them and the starters would sometimes pull them back out.

Over this recent stretch, the starters have continued to play strong and the bench has not only been able to hold leads, but as often as not, extend them.

Two things are very promising about the rotation for this team:

A strong correlation with being a top team is winning 3rd periods.  Ever since stumbling in the initial weeks of the season, we have been very good at coming out of half time and putting up points and winning the 3rd period.

In addition, over the last few weeks, we have been really good at winning the critical stretch from the very end of the 3rd and into the middle of the 4th.   For much of the earlier part of the year, that was a huge terror zone for us, as teams would routinely destroy any leads we had or pull away from us if it was close.   The improved, more consistent play of Kelly, Evan, Zeller, Smart & Jerebko during that stretch has been huge.  Having at least 3 players who can stretch the floor around him is a critical thing for Evan to have success and Brad is finally getting that.

My prediction last summer was for 48 wins.  We currently are at a .585 win percentage, which would be ... 48 wins.  Given how much better the team is playing right now, it is not at all a unreasonable to hope we can pull out 2+ more wins above that.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

@Milwaukee   === Trap Game
Los Angeles Clippers    == bounce back to catch the Clips while they're down
@Utah  -- Utah's fighting for #8 and they have a much better front line
@Denver  -- back to winning
@Minnesota  -- keep winning
Milwaukee -- payback for trap
Miami  -- close but win based on home court
Utah  -- payback
Portland  -- continue winning
NY Knicks  -- expecting to drill the Knicks -- hoping they don't get caught looking forward
@Cleveland     -- cleveland sends a message
Memphis  -- memphis fighting for seeding
Houston  -- houston fighting for playoffs
@Indiana -- fighting for seeding
Oklahoma City  -- it's OKC
@Toronto -- Toronto sending a message on their home court.  last game of losing streak
@Philadelphia  -- back to winning but closer than it should be
Orlando  -- keep winning
Toronto   Toronto sending a message on the road now
@Phoenix  -- Phx working hard on the tank
@Los Angeles Clippers   -- Clips for payback
@Portland  -- C's caught sleeping on a team that's performing better than expected
@Golden State  --- GSW - enough said but C's will push them
@Los Angeles Lakers -- let down from close GSW game and Kobe wants to win it
New Orleans  -- back to winning
Milwaukee  --continue winning
@Atlanta  -- Atlanta fighting for seeding on home court
Charlotte -- win again.  taking Frank the Tank looks like a real bad idea after this one
Miami  -- Miami fighting for seeding with everyone playing -- very close game
I think they'll get respectably close but ultimately, no, they won't get 50 for 2 reasons:

1. The C's are a jumpshooting team.  when they're hot, they can hang with any team.  When they're not, they can lose to anyone.  even giving them the benefit of the doubt that it will only happen say 25% of their remaining games rather than a third or half that's 7 games right there up for grabs regardless of the competition.
2. C's play to the level of their competition far too often.  for good teams, that's a good thing.  for lousy teams, that stinks.  We've seen them cough up wins to teams they should easily beat regardless of what kind of shooting night they're having.  Figure a likelihood of coughing up 2-3 wins to beatable teams just on this alone.

I've bolded the ones I suspect the C's to lose with commentary on how I think this will wind up.  It won't be popular

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:37 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

@Milwaukee   === Trap Game
Los Angeles Clippers    == bounce back to catch the Clips while they're down
@Utah  -- Utah's fighting for #8 and they have a much better front line
@Denver  -- back to winning
@Minnesota  -- keep winning
Milwaukee -- payback for trap
Miami  -- close but win based on home court
Utah  -- payback
Portland  -- continue winning
NY Knicks  -- expecting to drill the Knicks -- hoping they don't get caught looking forward
@Cleveland     -- cleveland sends a message
Memphis  -- memphis fighting for seeding
Houston  -- houston fighting for playoffs
@Indiana -- fighting for seeding
Oklahoma City  -- it's OKC
@Toronto -- Toronto sending a message on their home court.  last game of losing streak
@Philadelphia  -- back to winning but closer than it should be
Orlando  -- keep winning
Toronto   Toronto sending a message on the road now
@Phoenix  -- Phx working hard on the tank
@Los Angeles Clippers   -- Clips for payback
@Portland  -- C's caught sleeping on a team that's performing better than expected
@Golden State  --- GSW - enough said but C's will push them
@Los Angeles Lakers -- let down from close GSW game and Kobe wants to win it
New Orleans  -- back to winning
Milwaukee  --continue winning
@Atlanta  -- Atlanta fighting for seeding on home court
Charlotte -- win again.  taking Frank the Tank looks like a real bad idea after this one
Miami  -- Miami fighting for seeding with everyone playing -- very close game
I think they'll get respectably close but ultimately, no, they won't get 50 for 2 reasons:

1. The C's are a jumpshooting team.  when they're hot, they can hang with any team.  When they're not, they can lose to anyone.  even giving them the benefit of the doubt that it will only happen say 25% of their remaining games rather than a third or half that's 7 games right there up for grabs regardless of the competition.
2. C's play to the level of their competition far too often.  for good teams, that's a good thing.  for lousy teams, that stinks.  We've seen them cough up wins to teams they should easily beat regardless of what kind of shooting night they're having.  Figure a likelihood of coughing up 2-3 wins to beatable teams just on this alone.

I've bolded the ones I suspect the C's to lose with commentary on how I think this will wind up.  It won't be popular

Celtics take 31% of their FGA at the rim which is 8th in the league. They rank about ~20th in shots taken between 10-23 feet. They follow the new age philosophy where most of your shots should be at the rim or at the 3PT line. Marcus Smart is pretty much the perfect example of what the Celtics are trying to do, heh. ~41% of his attempts come within 10 feet of the rim and then 45% come at the 3PT line. Everything in between is usually non-existent.

Really the biggest issue with the Celtics is that they struggle to clean up the defensive boards and that sometimes hurts their ability to get into transition. They are also 2% below league average in 3P%. If they shot league average, they would be averaging 2 more PPG right now, and that would have them as the 6th ranked offense in the league. 2% in 3P% is the difference in an 11th ranked offense and ~top 5 offense right now. If they could clean up the defensive boards at a better rate, they would be better on defense, but I dunno how much more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:39:36 AM by DarkAzcura »