Author Topic: Super Bowl 2016  (Read 13188 times)

Re: Super Bowl 2016
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
WOW.  Based, I guess, on their own superior experience in winning athletic competition, some people begrudge and belittle the athletic accomplishments of others.  Sheesh.

Congratulations to Peyton Manning and the Broncos for winning the 2016 Super Bowl, as a TEAM.  Well deserved.

It was an ugly, boring game.  The Broncos won the Super Bowl fair and square.  They had a dominant defense.  An All-Time defensive performance.  I have a lot of misgivings about how both teams played defense (leading with helmet, generally playing a brutal, risky style), but that's where the NFL game is right now.  It's still a brutal, dangerous sport that can devolve into a messy bloodbath when the best (i.e. roidiest) defenses clash.

Doesn't mean that it was an entertaining game to watch, which is what I hope for when the Pats aren't in it.

Also doesn't mean that Peyton's career is suddenly better than it was yesterday.  He had a crappy game and his defense was so great it didn't matter.  This game was about Von Miller and company being amazing, and it was about Cam Newton and company failing miserably on the biggest stage.

Seems like if you love Tom, you have to hate Peyton and vice versa.

Peyton had a QBR of 9.9 tonight.  His passer rating was 56.6.  He was sacked five times, had 1 interception and zero touchdowns, barely threw over 50%, and averaged 6 yards per attempt. 

Any way you want to slice it, he played really badly.

That said, he's had an excellent career.  I just resent the notion that he had much of anything to do with this victory, or even their run to the SB in general.

I'm pretty sure they could have won it with Brock Osweiler instead.  Indeed, they might have been better.

This championship was all about Von Miller.

You could make similar arguments about Brady in his first SB run, can't you?  Less than 200 yards per game, only 1 TD, 1 INT, largely won due to defense.

Nobody is taking away Brady's first ring, even though the team may have played as well or better with Bledsoe in there.

Sure, nobody's taking the ring.

I think it's 100% fair to point out that the first title, maybe the first couple of titles, had way more to do with the Pats' defense than Brady.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 12:36:45 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
WOW.  Based, I guess, on their own superior experience in winning athletic competition, some people begrudge and belittle the athletic accomplishments of others.  Sheesh.

Congratulations to Peyton Manning and the Broncos for winning the 2016 Super Bowl, as a TEAM.  Well deserved.

It was an ugly, boring game.  The Broncos won the Super Bowl fair and square.  They had a dominant defense.  An All-Time defensive performance.  I have a lot of misgivings about how both teams played defense (leading with helmet, generally playing a brutal, risky style), but that's where the NFL game is right now.  It's still a brutal, dangerous sport that can devolve into a messy bloodbath when the best (i.e. roidiest) defenses clash.

Doesn't mean that it was an entertaining game to watch, which is what I hope for when the Pats aren't in it.

Also doesn't mean that Peyton's career is suddenly better than it was yesterday.  He had a crappy game and his defense was so great it didn't matter.  This game was about Von Miller and company being amazing, and it was about Cam Newton and company failing miserably on the biggest stage.

Peyton had a QBR of 9.9 tonight.  His passer rating was 56.6.  He was sacked five times, had 1 interception and zero touchdowns, barely threw over 50%, and averaged 6 yards per attempt. 

That said, he's had an excellent career.  I just resent the notion that he had much of anything to do with this victory, or even their run to the SB in general.

I'm pretty sure they could have won it with Brock Osweiler instead.  Indeed, they might have been better.

You could make similar arguments about Brady in his first SB run, can't you?  Less than 200 yards per game, only 1 TD, 1 INT, largely won due to defense.

Nobody is taking away Brady's first ring, even though the team may have played as well or better with Bledsoe in there.

I think it's 100% fair to point out that the first title, maybe the first couple of titles, had way more to do with the Pats' defense than Brady.

Brady was more of a game manager his first few years, but he had ice water running through his veins and came through when he had to.  That can't be taken away from him.

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:18 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
This game is proof of how much better NBA basketball is than the NFL as an all-around entertainment product.
this
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 07:54:54 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Is not football a team sport?  Did the Broncos not play the team ranked #1 in offense, #1 in defense and with the best record this year?  Did the Broncos not win in spite of these things?
If Peyton had thrown for 500 yards and the Broncos had lost what would the comments have been?  Peyton was part of a Team that just won the Super Bowl.  On can argue that Brady is a better quarterback, but he wasn't yesterday.  He didn't even make it to the Super Bowl this time.  That may be because of injuries, but the ultimate test is who wins with the players on the field.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 08:13:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I didn't think the game was bad at all.  Sure it was a tough defensive game, but most of the experts predicted that (I mean look at the score predictions going in, all pretty much low scores).  And sure there were a few missed calls, but that happens in every game of every sport.  It happens.  On the whole, if you like defense than that was a good game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Then what are we even talking about here??
Greg

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Man, any one satisfied with that event is easy to please. The NFL is our replacement for ancient Rome... can you imagine if, in a main event, the Gladiators put up a stink bomb like that?! There would be no "Spartacus," "300," "Gladiator," etc. - I can tell you that!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I think any fan that appreciates a great defensive battle loved this game.  The problem is that games like this are very few and far between bc of all the rules the nfl created to cater to the casual fan that wants to see lots of passing and tons of points.
Greg

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think any fan that appreciates a great defensive battle loved this game.  The problem is that games like this are very few and far between bc of all the rules the nfl created to cater to the casual fan that wants to see lots of passing and tons of points.
Exactly.  If you appreciate a tough defensive battle, then you loved that game. 

The whole conversation reminds of the Spurs from the mid-2000's.  Super technical, defense oriented, and not much scoring.  A lot of fans didn't like watching them play, but if you appreciate the defense (and the skill it takes to execute it that well) then you loved watching the Spurs. 

The Superbowl was the same sort of thing.  Two great defenses just shutting down opposing offenses.  It was awesome and it was awesome in part because you almost never get two great defenses in any game, yet alone the Superbowl. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 10:58:20 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Exactly.  If you appreciate a tough defensive battle, then you loved that game. 

The whole conversation reminds of the Spurs from the mid-2000's.  Super technical, defense oriented, and not much scoring.  A lot of fans didn't like watching them play, but if you appreciate the defense (and the skill it takes to execute it that well) then you loved watching the Spurs. 

The Superbowl was the same sort of thing.  Two great defenses just shutting down opposing offenses.  It was awesome and it was awesome in part because you almost never get two great defenses in any game, yet alone the Superbowl.
I loved the game!  Peyton might not have won it for Denver, but he could have lost it for them...Panthers are a great team and Broncos prevailed on the day.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!