Author Topic: Super Bowl 2016  (Read 13322 times)

Re: Super Bowl 2016
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even though he did barely anything in this post-season run, I do think that winning two Super Bowls changes Manning's historical profile.

Should it, though?  He had so little to do with this Super Bowl.  If anything, they won in spite of him.  His backup might actually have been better.

regardless of what you think of his performance, winning this super bowl gives him a winning record in the playoffs for his career and erases him having a losing record in super bowls.  Yes his defense deserves the majority of the credit, but there were SO MANY years where Peyton having a good defense would have been the difference from him making it to a super bowl

so yes it should.

But he made his team worse this year.  An average starting quarterback would have made team better.

That has to figure into the analysis, otherwise the analysis is worthless.

how many other years did peyton have a bad defense and that made his team worse then?? 

that has to figure into the analysis, otherwise the analysis is worthless

Sure.  Give him credit for how well he played in the past.  And acknowledge that he stunk his last season and a half in the league.

He might have won more Super Bowls in the past with more balanced teams around him.  Tom Brady would never have won a single Super Bowl without elite defensive players on his side.

This Super Bowl had nothing to do with Peyton Manning, except to the extent that they won in spite of how bad he was.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Even though he did barely anything in this post-season run, I do think that winning two Super Bowls changes Manning's historical profile.

Should it, though?  He had so little to do with this Super Bowl.  If anything, they won in spite of him.  His backup might actually have been better.

regardless of what you think of his performance, winning this super bowl gives him a winning record in the playoffs for his career and erases him having a losing record in super bowls.  Yes his defense deserves the majority of the credit, but there were SO MANY years where Peyton having a good defense would have been the difference from him making it to a super bowl

so yes it should.
and those years he was also playing in a climate controlled dome .....

and so do half the other teams in the league!!  lol geez your bias is showing

Football was meant to be played outdoors, but the NFL currently has eight teams that either play in a dome or have a retractable roof. Those teams are the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts.

nope more like 25% , and real men play in the elements ... :laugh:

congrats.  you still have made no point whatsoever.
Greg

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

so yes it should.

Football was meant to be played outdoors, but the NFL currently has eight teams that either play in a dome or have a retractable roof. Those teams are the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts.

/
so you think climate controlled environments don't effect ability to put up stats and wins ?

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I really like that Prius commercial!  ;D ;D ;D
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

so yes it should.

But he made his team worse this year.  An average starting quarterback would have made team better.

how many other years did peyton have a bad defense and that made his team worse then?? 

Sure.  Give him credit for how well he played in the past.  And acknowledge that he stunk his last season and a half in the league.

He might have won more Super Bowls in the past with more balanced teams around him.  Tom Brady would never have won a single Super Bowl without elite defensive players on his side.

This Super Bowl had nothing to do with Peyton Manning, except to the extent that they won in spite of how bad he was.

you can paint it however you want to sir.  to say that this super bowl win doesnt change his legacy at all is ludicrous.

i dont care if Dan Marino threw 3 picks in a super bowl, if he won the game and got a ring, it would completely change the way hes viewed.  Yes Dan Marino getting ONE ring is different, but for Peyton to not have a losing record in the super bowl and a winning record in the playoffs as the finishing touch to his career is HUGE for him
Greg

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

so yes it should.

/
so you think climate controlled environments don't effect ability to put up stats and wins ?

Stats, yes.

Winning, I don't know.  Is it more of an advantage in the playoffs to play in a dome, or to have a home field where it's 20 degrees out?  Warm weather teams seem to historically struggle when playing cold weather teams in the playoffs.  I'd say that New England has more of a home field advantage than the Colts do.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 10:50:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

so yes it should.

/

sure, they help.  But last time i checked a football game is still played in these domes and both offenses get to play on that field and both defenses.

if you want to talk about things that affect stats and wins maybe we should talk about NFL rule changes to hamstring defenses and let offenses pile up stats and points.  but keep talking about these domes  ::)  neither argument serves no purpose in this conversation

so again, whats your point?
Greg

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

so yes it should.

TP Pho - just getting back now, but you are basically saying everything I was saying all night to my friends.

I think it sucks that Peyton's reputation as a choke artist in the playoffs/super bowl gets to be erased even though he had absolutely nothing to do with winning this game. History will show that he was an excellent qb, regardless, but this will only boost his lore.

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
WOW.  Based, I guess, on their own superior experience in winning athletic competition, some people begrudge and belittle the athletic accomplishments of others.  Sheesh.

Congratulations to Peyton Manning and the Broncos for winning the 2016 Super Bowl, as a TEAM.  Well deserved.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
WOW.  Based, I guess, on their own superior experience in winning athletic competition, some people begrudge and belittle the athletic accomplishments of others.  Sheesh.

Congratulations to Peyton Manning and the Broncos for winning the 2016 Super Bowl, as a TEAM.  Well deserved.

TP, thirsty, lot of folk still mad about the Pats losing two weeks ago.

Seems like if you love Tom, you have to hate Peyton and vice versa.

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP, thirsty, lot of folk still mad about the Pats losing two weeks ago.

Yes, definitely - and any Patriot fan should feel this way. There has been quite a rivalry for years. It's also why I didn't want Kobe or Jeter winning anymore championships (although those guys were much more successful in their postseason careers).

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 11:32:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

so yes it should.

you can paint it however you want to sir.  to say that this super bowl win doesnt change his legacy at all is ludicrous.

i dont care if Dan Marino threw 3 picks in a super bowl, if he won the game and got a ring, it would completely change the way hes viewed.  Yes Dan Marino getting ONE ring is different, but for Peyton to not have a losing record in the super bowl and a winning record in the playoffs as the finishing touch to his career is HUGE for him

It's like saying that it'd change Barkley's legacy if he had won a championship playing 15 minutes a game coming off the bench for the Lakers or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 11:34:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It was an ugly, boring game.  The Broncos won the Super Bowl fair and square.  They had a dominant defense.  An All-Time defensive performance.  I have a lot of misgivings about how both teams played defense (leading with helmet, generally playing a brutal, risky style), but that's where the NFL game is right now.  It's still a brutal, dangerous sport that can devolve into a messy bloodbath when the best (i.e. roidiest) defenses clash.

Doesn't mean that it was an entertaining game to watch, which is what I hope for when the Pats aren't in it.

Also doesn't mean that Peyton's career is suddenly better than it was yesterday.  He had a crappy game and his defense was so great it didn't matter.  This game was about Von Miller and company being amazing, and it was about Cam Newton and company failing miserably on the biggest stage.

Peyton had a QBR of 9.9 tonight.  His passer rating was 56.6.  He was sacked five times, had 1 interception and zero touchdowns, barely threw over 50%, and averaged 6 yards per attempt. 

Any way you want to slice it, he played really badly.

That said, he's had an excellent career.  I just resent the notion that he had much of anything to do with this victory, or even their run to the SB in general.

I'm pretty sure they could have won it with Brock Osweiler instead.  Indeed, they might have been better.

This championship was all about Von Miller.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:42:36 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm happy to see an all time great go out like that.  Sure, he didn't play well and didn't contribute much, but he did enough and it's always nice to see a HOF player finish with a win.

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It was an ugly, boring game.  The Broncos won the Super Bowl fair and square.  They had a dominant defense.  An All-Time defensive performance.  I have a lot of misgivings about how both teams played defense (leading with helmet, generally playing a brutal, risky style), but that's where the NFL game is right now.  It's still a brutal, dangerous sport that can devolve into a messy bloodbath when the best (i.e. roidiest) defenses clash.

Doesn't mean that it was an entertaining game to watch, which is what I hope for when the Pats aren't in it.

Also doesn't mean that Peyton's career is suddenly better than it was yesterday.  He had a crappy game and his defense was so great it didn't matter.  This game was about Von Miller and company being amazing, and it was about Cam Newton and company failing miserably on the biggest stage.

Peyton had a QBR of 9.9 tonight.  His passer rating was 56.6.  He was sacked five times, had 1 interception and zero touchdowns, barely threw over 50%, and averaged 6 yards per attempt. 

Any way you want to slice it, he played really badly.

That said, he's had an excellent career.  I just resent the notion that he had much of anything to do with this victory, or even their run to the SB in general.

I'm pretty sure they could have won it with Brock Osweiler instead.  Indeed, they might have been better.

This championship was all about Von Miller.

You could make similar arguments about Brady in his first SB run, can't you?  Less than 200 yards per game, only 1 TD, 1 INT, largely won due to defense.

Nobody is taking away Brady's first ring, even though the team may have played as well or better with Bledsoe in there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes