Author Topic: Tyler Zeller: He's Pretty Good!  (Read 2813 times)

Re: Tyler Zeller: He's Pretty Good!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He's averaging 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in 20.8 minutes over the last 5 games on 68.6% shooting.  Thow in 1.5 assists and 1.3 blocks for good measure.

I'd resign Tyler Zeller today and every other day of the week before I'd consider giving Jared Sullinger a contract.

When he's given consistent minutes in the right role (i.e. about 20 minutes a night as the backup center alongside guys who share the ball and can shoot), he's pretty darn good, and quite consistent as well.

I agree with you 100%.

Plus I really appreciate players who have positive attitudes, and the way Zeller has handled his downgraded role this year (especially after such a big role last year) has been nothing short of pure class.

I don't expect every player to be a Jae Crowder in terms of playing tough, physical, hard nosed play every night (though I love guys who are that way). I do however expect every player to to keep in shape, to keep a good attitude and to be ready to play every night no matter what the role - to be a true professional.  Zeller has earned my respect because he's done all of that.

That's why I have so much more respect for guys like Zeller, Bradley, Crowder, Smart and Olynyk  that I do for Sully.  While he hasn't actually complained about roles (I'll give him that), his lack of dedication to his body combined with his so-so attitude have always put me off him.

He's still a talented player and if we didn't have such a plethora of bigs i would bring him back - but we do, and as long as that's the case I will give preference to the guys who have the right attitude.

Just my personal thoughts on it.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Been on the Zeller bandwagon, since we got him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:23 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't know why Zeller wasn't getting time before. I'm hoping some one didn't call about him and thats why gets getting time. Dudes been playing like he hasn't sat on the bench form months. Even if he's our back up C, he needs to stay, hes great for Stevens system.

Even on some of the Cavs forums some of the fans missed Zeller. Thats saying some thing with the team they have.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I can't understand why Zeller lost his minutes. My gut tells me he had some sort of understanding with Stevens.

Bad defense.

AMEN!   Zeller is just that, a good backup to a legit starting C

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
uncool.  Is your hold on basketball and the English language so poor that this is all  you can muster? Be better than that - chuck cooper #11 - history

Keep the white boys!

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I like his play but I'd guess this is us showcasing him for a trade. Luckily he is performing very well.

To be honest, I don't think that's the case at all.

Zeller is a smart kid.  He looks at Jerebko and Crowder and he sees that if you have the right attitude and make the most of your opportunities, the Celtics will reward you with playing time and a contract.  An lesson that Sully, sadly, seems to have never been able to get.

Now we've played a couple of teams with big front lines, and so Zeller has gotten some extra minutes - and he's come out and given it everything he has to make the most of those opportunities. 

It won't go unnoticed - Brad has been trying all year to find a big man who can produce on a consistent basis, and if Zeller keeps doing what he has the last few games, then he'll leave coach with no choice but to upgrade his role and give him more minutes.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 12:01:05 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I don't know why anyone is surprised that Zeller is playing well...Give him playing time and he produces well...He should be the Celtics starting center hands down...Let him play 25 minutes a game and watch him flourish...

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:01 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Zeller is worth keeping around, but it has to be for the right money. Keep in mind that Aron Baynes got 7mil per and he is barely in the rotation for the Pistons.

Would you pay Zeller around that 7mil mark?

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I can't understand why Zeller lost his minutes. My gut tells me he had some sort of understanding with Stevens.

Bad defense.

AMEN!   Zeller is just that, a good backup to a legit starting C
Tends to get bullied by physical bigs.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 01:48:44 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Zeller is worth keeping around, but it has to be for the right money. Keep in mind that Aron Baynes got 7mil per and he is barely in the rotation for the Pistons.

That's about 10% of this season's salary cap, so maybe the better question is if you would give Zeller 10% of next year's cap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i think zeller is a premier 2nd team center,60% at mid range,rolls to basket well,flip hooks right and left hand,good with handoffs and setting screens  and a deadly free throw shooter-
great teamate,young,runs the court and durable
it seems going through a succession of backups or rookies incapable of bringing all these attributes to the court is counter productive-
it seems part of celts strength is a 2nd team-i believe anybody that can hit 60% from 16-18,over 50% from floor and 83% from foul line isn't going to be able to be replaced with ease
it seems the NBA might expand rosters not only does that help teams with numbers in case of injuries but allows more players of quality to play in d league instead of overseas

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 09:29:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

$7M a year for Zeller is an absolute no brainer. 

I think you'd be raving mad not to offer him that considering that he is (IMHO) significantly better overall player than Tristan Thompson, who is making around $18m a year as an utterly useless turd who has zero skill or talent outside of rebounding.

I am still amazed how so many people get on the Tristan Thompson bandwagon - that guy is on such a bad contract that he makes Dwight Howard, David Lee and Joe Johnson look like the bargains of the century. 

The Cavs GM should be fired without question, since the only reason Tristan Thompson even got that deal is because the team desperately needs an insurance policy for rediculous joke that is Kevin Love's "made of glass" $100M/5 contract.

The Cavs better win a title this year, because those two deals (which will make up almost 40% of the team's salary cap once it reaches $100M) are going to cripple them for the next half decade.  If they fail to win and Lebron walks, that team becomes the next Brooklyn Nets pretty much overnight.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:35:35 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We should not keep both him and Sully, one of the two should go. Both are decent backup centers. But we need a front line center in the worst way.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This current Tyler Zeller? Yes.

Good backup Center, would be a decent shoe in in case our starter suffers an injury. Still on 26, so there's room for a bit of improvement. $7 million in next year's cap is a very good contract.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Team chemistry took a hit with lee in the lineup.  Think your seeing it come back togetter now